Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 09:28:09 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 03:55:19 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 12:52:23 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Napa River Skunk 8/18  (Read 1281 times)

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I knew that it was still too early but I had a few hours to kill and gave it a go. As soon as I stepped in the water at the launch, I knew that it was going to be a tough bite with water temps in the mid 70's (73-76 all day) and pretty murky from the recent large tides. Saw very little on the sonar - most of which were hugging the bottom in deep water. Worked between the bridges for nada. If nothing else, it was a good scouting trip to see how the dredging and high flows over the winter reshaped some holes.

For folks that ever launch at Kennedy Park, the high winter flows have filled back in much of what was dredged out around the launch last year. I launched at 0.5 and it required doing a short mud walk to get out.  :smt012
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
All that dredging for nothing.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Thanks for the update I've been scouring reports looking to see what's happening in the Napa river, it's rarely mentioned. If you go out again let us know! Really looking forward to the fall striper run over there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the update I've been scouring reports looking to see what's happening in the Napa river, it's rarely mentioned. If you go out again let us know! Really looking forward to the fall striper run over there.

Will do ! It's been mentioned in the past - a Fish n' Chill event out of Kennedy Park would be cool once the fall run really gets going.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

Will do ! It's been mentioned in the past - a Fish n' Chill event out of Kennedy Park would be cool once the fall run really gets going.

I've been hitting the bank for an hour here and there. Nothing  of any size, but the little ones are plentiful. Cut bait and a surf leader is fun for a few hours of catching dinks.

Kennedy park would work go

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I've been hitting the bank for an hour here and there. Nothing  of any size, but the little ones are plentiful. Cut bait and a surf leader is fun for a few hours of catching dinks.

This is always a great time of year to take little kids out to soak bait from shore. As you said, the diaper stripers are plentiful. Almost threw in an old bag of anchovies from the freezer but opted against it.

• View Profile

This is always a great time of year to take little kids out to soak bait from shore. As you said, the diaper stripers are plentiful. Almost threw in an old bag of anchovies from the freezer but opted against it.
Well I'm gonna wait till some big boys start rolling through to make the drive haha. But I'd be totally down for some fishing and food at the park come the fall run.

• View Profile
Well I just called sweenys in Napa he said it's on fire right now so I'm gonna go scout it out tomorrow and hit it from shore with some buddies who don't have yaks. If all goes well I'm down to do a meet up soon!

Will report after tomorrow

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well I just called sweenys in Napa he said it's on fire right now so I'm gonna go scout it out tomorrow and hit it from shore with some buddies who don't have yaks. If all goes well I'm down to do a meet up soon!

That's great news. Any intel on what's hot ? Looking forward to hearing your report.

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

Bait shop will always tell you it's hot, most likely they were referring to the temp outside! :)
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

• View Profile

Bait shop will always tell you it's hot, most likely they were referring to the temp outside! :)
Haha. Perhaps. Not been my experience though. Even had Norms in Vallejo tell me it sucked on a good day ha.

• View Profile
Ya unfortunately the downers won this time. Pretty fast paced action but biggest fish we got was 15 inches. So still a little long to wait.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ya unfortunately the downers won this time. Pretty fast paced action but biggest fish we got was 15 inches. So still a little long to wait.

There's nothing wrong with having fun catching the little guys for a few hours. Hard to think that the big boys and girls are in yet with the water temps so high. Thanks for checking it out and letting us know what's going on. I'll be out there again in a few weeks once the temps cool and the fishing heats up.

• View Profile
Ya for sure. Its not that hot over there though the highs were in the 70s yesterday. I actually froze my ass off in the wind lol.