Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

feel free to explain why.....

YES
22 (71%)
NO
3 (9.7%)
looking into getting one
3 (9.7%)
don't believe I need it
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Topic: Firearms for personal protection: do you own one (or two) ?  (Read 4151 times)

marvmars

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Yes I do! I own a Sig Sauer 40 caliber pistol (I should have got the 45) and a 12 guage Winchester Defender (holds 8 shots). I pray I will never have to use them for self defense, but if the need arises I definitely will. I keep hollow points in the Sig and 00 Buck in the shotgun. Tho in this freakin state it seems the criminals often have more rights than the victims and we are often left wondering if we will go to jail for self defense.  :smt013 Dont even get me started. How about you, do you own any firearms???? Why the poll??? :smt001
Kim

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
grow up in new Orleans i know the affect of guns first hand have also own many guns my self buy any means necessary protect u and your family withthen reason there is a very thin line the way the law reads
aim once & shoot twice can you live with yourself after taking someone life better u then him right  :smt017
don't have guns here in Cali i found been 6'2 & 200 Lb & black work,s for me people don't give me shit some have try & what a fool they were  :smt003
got saltwater

Gowen4bigfish

I guess I have not completed your poll correctly Hand gun 40 cal. hi-power Browning semi-auto  (protection)     12 ga. pump Weatherby, (geese to chuckers)      7mm mag. BAR (deer to hogs)       300 HH mag. Remington (elk or bigger)  the rest of what I have is with good old mom and my guess is in her neighborhood you better move on down to the next house too. I have never had an occasion in which I have felt like I have needed any of my weapons except for hunting of course but I do sleep better at night knowing I can protect my family and myself. The dog seems to take care of the house, got to love that dog  :smt002

srm

nunchucks are rad Joel...... :smt002

Remember when Bruce Lee kicked that big basketball players butt with them?

Forgot the name of the movie or the player...

And to the poll, yup I am armed. Only for personal protection in home. Its not wise for civilians to carry firearms in cars or in public. If you feel unsafe in a situation remove yourself.

Kareem Abdul Jabar

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Has anyone seen that the movie "Bowling in Columbine?"  By - Micheal Moore

Very interesting  :smt045

basilkies

I was born and raised with guns and rifles, so I am used to them. I also think there are some pretty good reasons to have guns around. Since, I have always been around guns, I have learned how to handle them, and I'm not talking about shooting here.

When, my sisters, son and daughter were about 12 years old I took them out in the woods and gave them a lesson on how to use a gun. Never point a gun at something unless you intend to shoot it and always be aware of where the barrel is pointed. Also, I went over how to check a gun to see if it is loaded and explained this is something you always do for yourself and don't take anyone's word on.

Now, if these kids encounter someone with a gun playing around they will understand the safety issues and either tell the kid to quit mishandling the gun or they will leave. They will also know what to do if they discover a gun or someone hands one to them. I figure that's a lot safer than not knowing anything about guns.

My pet issue is cops. People don't seem to understand that the police mostly show up after a crime has been committed. So, if you are subject to a crime it will be up to you to protect yourself. The fact that there are police and they could catch the crook eventually, is what keeps the number of crimes down, but it doesn't really protect you in a crime.

As for the hothead theory, I would never consider pulling a gun on someone because I was pissed off. Never, take an action that escalates the problem, the other person may have more weapons than you! This also gets back to the issue of don't point a gun at someone or thing you don't intend to shoot.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yeah, but a few years back a dude with a butcher knife killed 8 people in a school in japan.  That was more deaths/assailant than the heavilly armed columbine duo.  Sociopaths will always find ways to do what they do.

I found his central premis that americans can't have guns while canadians can because the american media is 'scarier' to be completely unsupported.  Gun crime is more common in the US because 'cops' is popular here?  Instead, how about fat lazy americans like MM prefer to kill with guns because it doesn't involve physical exertion?  Fatter people, more gun crime, that's gotta be related too...  Shoot: snow prevents gun violence!  

Most folks don't understand the meaning of the second ammendment.  It's not about hunting, not really about crime, rather it's a check for the people against the government.  The best stating of this point I've seen was by Penn & Teller on their show 'bullshit' in the episode on gun control.  (available on bittorrent and maybe netflix)  They also bash PETA, the ESA, vegans and other whackos in other episodes (along with some gratuitous nudity), it's a very good show.

Has anyone seen that the movie "Bowling in Columbine?"  By - Micheal Moore

Very interesting  :smt045

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
jmairey,

Do some research on the writings of John Lott Jr and Gary Kleck.

Take a quick peek at: http://www.justfacts.com/gun_control.htm

Do some research on the recent (large) increases in violent crime in the UK and Australia, post gun bans.

Regards,
Scott

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile

Scott, thanks for the pointers. It's nice to have a few references to go along with the claims,  :smt002.

john m. airey

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I would LOVE to mount this on my kayak  :smt077

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034775227757a&type=product&cmCat=search_redir

:smt068

on another note, go see "Lord of War" / Nicolas Cage  = great movie  :smt066
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 12:44:14 PM by Mooch »

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
Hi Mooch:

I got rid of my Walther P38 and now only have  my Love gun. I didn't want my wife
to mistake me for a Perp.! :smt003
                                                   Ernie

FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
One of my buddies has a 50bmg, I've always wanted to take a photo of it w/ bipod on the kayak with a caption that says "ready for the rainbow warrior".   :smt066

I'd not desecrate such a rifle by potentially putting it in contact with sea-salt though.  ;)

For some serious firepower, check out the vids at this site: http://users.rcn.com/sitzkrieg/war/

The AC-130 and apache one's are especially awesome.  Makes one almost feel sorry for the bad guys.  The audio is the best part because you can hear the guys relaying events back to their commanders and taking orders.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:02:00 PM by promethean_spark »
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Gowen4bigfish

wow Mooch you have a problem with people getting to close to you when your at your fishing hole or just not getting the right amount of respect from others.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
wow Mooch you have a problem with people getting to close to you when your at your fishing hole

I need it to get Bill to start paddling away from me instead of towards me  :smt076

or just not getting the right amount of respect from others.
sometimes I have to defend myself from guys like Cpyak (who happens to enjoy the game of blood -sport- hockey) who constantly teases me about my hobbit feet  :smt066

...other than that, I'm really a peace loving guy  :color:....that's peace through superior fire power  :smt068

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:00:37 AM by Mooch »

anything