Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Can’t an Officer “Radio in” My License Info?  (Read 2811 times)

mireland62887

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I think it's easier for this to be a requirement and put the burden on the fisherman of proving he has a license instead of DFG having to research it. Many places have spotty cellular service, spotty data service, and the state radios aren't all that fancy. While I don't have any first hand knowledge, I know enough about radios to assume they have some serious dead zones.

An updated data base of licensees isn't a bad idea....but paying a developer to make it secure enough for state law enforcement is another hurdle, and then you'd need to get them to sign off on it and incorporate it.

I think it's easier for them to make it the same as a driver's license requirement. Must have it in possession while driving. Pretty simple actually.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
So what's next, do you want this digital system some of you envision to also know if you bought a report card and how many tags you've used?

Every time this subject comes up I see people advocating for the govt to spend more money to come up with a foolproof system so they don't have to remember to carry their license.

Nothing is free and you guys familiar with creating a system that will work 100% of the time know how expensive it can be. And even with such a system you're gonna have to carry something to identify yourself with.

BTW my license weighs 1.6 grams and takes up less space than my drivers license. Same as yours.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
It’s 2018 and we’re in a digital age... :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 it’s not like the state doesn’t already provide photo IDs not that Real ID’s are gonna be required anytime soon. But I’m still carrying a fading piece of paper the length of who knows...  if we can be ok by a PO for showing a digital proof insurance by the state why can’t we have other means . Irony  :smt005
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Fortunately, most wardens (err, wildlife officers) are reasonable. And fortunately, they are allowed some lattitude to use their own discretion...depending on the circumstance.
I remember one time a friend forgot his license at home. And the warden decided to not wite a citation, after our friend's wife texted a photo of his license--to show the warden. He was simply told to not forget it again or else it could result in a citation, depending on the circumstances.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Every time this subject comes up I see people advocating for the govt to spend more money to come up with a foolproof system so they don't have to remember to carry their license.

lol, this could be good....

DFG implements new digital license database:

WTF......fishing license just went up ten bucks again this year.  Insert rant about shitty enforcement and lack of resources not justifying cost of license

WTF.....dfg held me up for 20 minutes cause my license wouldn't scan/no connection at the spot/he kept spelling my name wrong/etc.

WTF....dfg got pissed at me for leaving a spot I wasn't getting any bites at while he was taking 20 minutes to check some other A-holes license.

WTF....dfg totally missed a poacher get away from right in front of him while he was checking some a-hole and another d-bag was distracting him.

Police/chp aren't usually contacting a whole lot of people throughout the day and they generally don't give two shits about how long your sitting there waiting for them.  I'd prefer to take the two minutes to pull out my license and be on my way. 

I do kinda like the idea of treating it like a fix-it ticket, maybe even a one-time get off the hook by purchasing the license after getting busted deal.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Nothing to fight. You either have your license in your immediate possession while engaging in hunting ans fishing, or you don't.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I was on the ocean off of Russian Gulch and was checked. Damn, forgot it in the truck on shore. Warden let me go in and show it to a park ranger who then radio'd the warden that all was well. I was even allowed to keep the fish in my possession. I was not an a-hole to the guy. That helps.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nothing to fight. You either have your license in your immediate possession while engaging in hunting ans fishing, or you don't.

The problem with stating the obvious over and over again is that people stop listening to you.

Come on man.  It's a conspiracy.  Get on board!

-Allen

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Bet they didn't forget tide pods to snack on...
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I don't think the obvious has yet been stated.
Yes we are 'living in a digital world' (Madonna should write a new song).
Yes, in a lot of ways animals have it better than we do; euthanasia and being chipped.
Imagine being chipped.
You pay your fees and the chip is scanned with your updated purchases each year.
On 12-31 at 11:59PM the info expires.
DFW wouldn't even have to ask you for your license. They could just shoot ya with their laser gun (chip reader) and know if you were compliant or not.
And discuss....... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

:happy1:
<=>

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I don't think the obvious has yet been stated.
Yes we are 'living in a digital world' (Madonna should write a new song).
Yes, in a lot of ways animals have it better than we do; euthanasia and being chipped.
Imagine being chipped.
You pay your fees and the chip is scanned with your updated purchases each year.
On 12-31 at 11:59PM the info expires.
DFW wouldn't even have to ask you for your license. They could just shoot ya with their laser gun (chip reader) and know if you were compliant or not.
And discuss....... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

:happy1:

Hear Hear!  :smt002

1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Be a big boy and carry your license. That is the problem today, we are lazy. Let technology do it.
I dont regulate Title 14, but ANY time our regs call for documentation to be produced on request and you aint got it, I will give you some so you dont feel left out until you get it taken care of. Yes I can research licenses for blasters with a phone or radio call. What does the LAW say? Really no excuse other than you are lazy.

This

Also, take your ticket like a big boy and go to court. I did this once because I forgot my hunting license. Went to court, showed my license and the receipt and they said thanks and have a nice day. My punishment for forgetting to follow the law was an hour in a court room and a $100 court processing fee. Be grown ups :)
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Be a big boy and carry your license. That is the problem today, we are lazy. Let technology do it.
I dont regulate Title 14, but ANY time our regs call for documentation to be produced on request and you aint got it, I will give you some so you dont feel left out until you get it taken care of. Yes I can research licenses for blasters with a phone or radio call. What does the LAW say? Really no excuse other than you are lazy.

This

Also, take your ticket like a big boy and go to court. I did this once because I forgot my hunting license. Went to court, showed my license and the receipt and they said thanks and have a nice day. My punishment for forgetting to follow the law was an hour in a court room and a $100 court processing fee. Be grown ups :)
I tend to agree. As I said earlier, nominal fee and show proof. I'm not sure where the lazy part fits in though. I think mostly its a matter of forgetting or putting it someplace different for a special trip. Most people don't want to worry about a big fine for a forgetful error.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Forgive me if this has already been addressed but I did not read all four pages of this. From a law enforcement perspective, let’s compare this to driving without a license. There are actually two violations related to this. The first is vc 12500 which is driving without a license issued to you (a misdemeanor). The second violation is vC 12951 which is driving without a license in your possession (an infraction) I am not familiar with fg sections but it could be the same type of deal.  If you had a license but didn’t have it with you were you cited for not having a license or not having it in your possession. Again, I am not familiar with fg codes so I don’t know if this is the case. but  Just because they can verify that you have a license issued to you doesn’t mean that you aren’t still committing a violation if your are not in possession of it while fishing.

anything