Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Want jigging reel recommendation  (Read 2344 times)

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
What kind of reel, or what specific reel, do you recommend for jigging deep for big fish?

I do a lot of jigging for lake trout, and catch some pretty big fish.  The majority of the jigging is between 170 and 240 feet deep, but the reel needs to have enough line capacity to jig below 300 feet with 30 pound braid.  I like to release the line spool or bail, put the rod in a rod holder, and let my jig descend to the bottom.  I'm currently using a spinning reel, which works OK, but would like to use a reel with a line spool like a baitcaster reel.  A baitcaster works well for smaller fish above about 250 feet, but they have short handles, and I find it hard to reel in big fish with a baitcaster reel.  In addition, baitcaster reels usually have pretty small line reels, and barely have enough line capacity to get down to 250 feet with 30 pound braid.  I have tried using a level wind trolling reel, but the line spool has more drag than a baitcaster reel.

So what I'm looking for is a large-capacity reel with a long handle with a big knob on it, which has little drag on its line spool so I can get my lure to the bottom fast.  What kind of reel, or what specific reels, do you recommend?

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I would personally look at a low profile Okuma linecounter ss or Komodo ss in the 300 size. You get a big handle if you want it, 250 meters of 40lb power pro, drag clicker if you want to use it, and a pretty bulletproof reel in my experience.

As far as the handle goes most reel manufacturers use the same handle bore size (not Shimano) so there are a bunch of aftermarket options you can get for handles. I tried a few from amazon until I found one I liked. The Daiwa Lexa HD model handle is a good style that is nice for me to grip.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

dangalang

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Are you ok with a reel that doesn't have level wind? Getting a reel without a level wind should help with the descent speed.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Are you ok with a reel that doesn't have level wind? Getting a reel without a level wind should help with the descent speed.
I would prefer a level wind reel.  On my baitcaster reels, the level wind turns off when you're casting or otherwise letting out line, presumably to minimize the friction on the line spool.  I don't know if any other kinds of reel have that feature.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Most of the reel manufacturers have 300 and 400 size baitcasting reels now that are targeted toward the saltwater scene.  The reels have greater line capacity and drag capabilities than the standard 200 sizes that are common “do all” sizes in bass fishing.  They’d fit your needs pretty well I’d say. 

Shimano Tranx 300, Daiwa Lexa 300, 13 Fishing A3, and the Okuma Komodo 300. 

Personally I’d go with the tranx 300 hg.  7:1 gear ratio (will get your lure up quick when not fighting fish) and comes with a large knobbed cranking handle out of the box, so no need to buy a new handle. 

Outside of that, the Accurate Tern 300x is probably my next reel pick up, it’s a beast for us size. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I use the Avet SXJ 6/4 reel. No line counter but they are good jigging reels.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I use either the Daiwa Lexa HD and the Okuma Komodo SS, both with paddle handles (no line counter). Both works great for most of the saltwater fishing I do. Just my personal preference that it is nice having a level wind when kayak fishing.

Pros and Cons:

300 series
Lexa - 22lb drag, no clicker, 8.1.1
Komodo 24lb drag with clicker, very smooth winding and casting, 6.4.1

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:41:52 PM by P-Sherman »
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Pros and Cons:

300 series
Komodo 14lb drag with clicker, very smooth winding and casting, 6.4.1

Okuma lists their drag in kg, so the 300 is rated around 24lbs on their website.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Pros and Cons:

300 series
Komodo 14lb drag with clicker, very smooth winding and casting, 6.4.1

Okuma lists their drag in kg, so the 300 is rated around 24lbs on their website.

Thanks for the correction.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions which you made about jigging reels.  I ended up getting a Shimano Tranx 300AHG.  It's a 300 size baitcasting reel, which is bigger than the standard size baitcasting reel so it handles more line, it has a power handle, and it has 7.6:1 gearing, which produces a retrieval rate of 40" for each turn of the crank.  The more common gearing is 5.8:1, which produces a retrieval rate of 30" for each turn of the crank.  The power handle makes it easier to bring in big fish, and the 7.6:1 gearing lets me retrieve lures and fish from the bottom faster.  Today I winched 21 lake trout up from around 175 feet with the reel.

The first picture below shows the difference in size between a standard baitcasting reel (on the left) and the Tranx 300HG (on the right).  The 300 size reel can handle the amount of braided line I need to get down below 300 feet, and the power handle is way easier to use than the typical double paddle handle.

I prefer a baitcasting reel because I find the reel release and handle easier to use than other kinds of reel when jigging within 6 inches of the bottom, and because baitcasting reels have very little friction in their line spools, which lets me drop lures to the bottom faster than other styles of reel.  Braided line catches on the lip of the line spool of my spinning reels, making a "tug-tug-tug-tug" as the line plays out, which reduces the speed that a lure descends, and the level wind mechanism and line counter slow up the line spool on my trolling reels.  If you are jigging with a great big heavy lure, it'll drop pretty fast regardless of what kind of reel you use, but if you are jigging with a lighter lure, the low friction in the line spool of a baitcaster reel is a big advantage.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:09:42 AM by pmmpete »

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm happy with the Shimano reel. It drops and raises lures fast, it works well for jigging, and it cranks up big fish easily.

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Check out the new Shimano Tekota A series.  Just got one and I’m impressed

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
.......you’re a little late to the party brah.  :smt002

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker