Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:46:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:43:02 PM]

[Today at 07:32:12 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Snap Kayaks  (Read 10924 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Has anyone here heard of Snap Kayaks?

I'm looking for something that's portable and stumbled onto this.

From what I've read, the center section can either be added to make it tandem, or left out to make it a single kayak. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:42:10 PM by skipro3 »

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
ive seen those at sunrise mountain sports and at lafyette reservoir.i dont know wonder would it withstand a roll in the waves
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
 My uncle has one he seems to like it!! Funny thing he got it online for a killer deal when it arrived it was only a bow..He bought 1 piece thinking it was the whole boat needless to say he had to pony up and buy the rest. :smt044 :smt044.If your a label whore cobra kayak made a multi piece yak as well.Saw it on cl ATD had a badass inflateable rtm on there as well.
 My question is how many center sections can be connected?Hmmm world record kayak?NCKA FNC?

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
LL bean put 101 sections together to make the world record last year.  Dan had one at his shop. In the 2 seconds I spent playing with it I couldn't get it apart. Theres defiantly a trick to it, He made it look so easy I didn't pay enough attention to see what he did. The one he Had was a Point 65

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I'm sure it may fit a certain niche for some.
How many of us have that much room in our vehicles when we go fishing?
Add camping to the mix. Not going to happen in my vehicle.
<=>

Spike

I saw the Point 65 product and met paddling legend Nigel Foster in their booth at Outdoor Retailer in July.  I'm pretty sure I saw the snap product too and was impressed with the whole idea, design and construction.  If it would suit your needs, go with your gut and get a demo.  Good luck.

• View Profile
I'm sure it may fit a certain niche for some.
How many of us have that much room in our vehicles when we go fishing?
Add camping to the mix. Not going to happen in my vehicle.

I was thinking about my truck-camper.  It's very tall and thinking it might be easier to put a kayak up there if it were in parts.  I'm also thinking about a Hobie inflatable that could fit on top in a box, or even inside.  I have that trailer for my PA, but that limits my freeway speed to a max of 55. 

Also, it's a way to secure the kayak.  I've read of stories where they get stolen off racks and such.  Perhaps locked inside a rig would be something to consider, even if carried on the roof, it could be stuffed inside while out doing something else and not subject (easily anyways) to theft.   

Brewski

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I had a point 65 tequila tandem for about 6 months. It was orange and I might have been the guy on Lafayette reservoir. The sections were surprisingly big and a pain to get them to fit in any car. I ended up putting the middle section on the roof. Once in the car you could barely get enough gear in to go fishing. The tracking was poor due to the different sections were manufactured separately and even when the buckles were tight the hull was never aligned. The manufacturing of my sections caused the boat to always track right and I had to sit off center to compensate. I had it in some small waves in both the single and tandem and the boat flexed considerably but I never thought it would come apart. The seat was also poor and I ended up mounting aftermarket seats. Getting the boat together and apart was really easy once you got the hang of it. I ended up selling mine and going with the hobie i9, which is a great option for a small portable kayak but its only a solo. The snap model looks like a later version of the tequila.

• View Profile
Thanks Zbrewski.  You liked the i9 though?  I was leaning hard that way until I saw that there were hard shell kayaks that can come apart and figured I'd investigate those as well.  Your review is very helpful! 

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks Zbrewski.  You liked the i9 though?  I was leaning hard that way until I saw that there were hard shell kayaks that can come apart and figured I'd investigate those as well.  Your review is very helpful!

I would agree that the Point 65 is a pretty limiting kayak. It would be fine for putting around small lakes, and it does break down fairly small, but a I-9 would be a much better platform. I have a Tequila take apart if you want to come and touch and feel one. I know my Mom and Dad have a few inflatables in the Redding store.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

Brewski

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I really like the i9 but if you want to hold more gear or taller than 6' defiantly look into the i12. The 9' of kayak space gets used quick but is good for day trips. And I dont think saltwater fishing is advised.

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
We have an i12 demo in redding. The biggest difference in the 9 vs 12 besides the length is the front hatch. The i12 has a nice sealing front hatch. Besides storage it creates a nice bow to shed water off if conditions get rough.

• View Profile
Thanks for the info and offer for the demo.  I'm on a budget, being retired, so looking for used or a discounted demo.