Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ascend kayaks  (Read 5788 times)

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Anybody have an opinion on the Ascend kayaks at Bass Pro Shops?
Haven't heard much about them and I 'm wondering if anyone has any
experience with them?
Thanks
Tom
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hello wormguy!  I haven't heard of Ascend Kayaks, but I Googled it after seeing your post.  They look like what could be an effective and durable platform, but no more than other lesser known brands on the market.  Don't get me wrong, it could be a great line, but I don't see any around my neck of the woods.  Why not start paddling different makes and models to see what fits you?  I like my Malibu X-Factor, and I don't even work for them!   :smt005  Many people love the Hobies for their pedals and sails.  Ocean Kayak is very popular.  Wilderness Systems.  Cobra.  RTM.  Jackson.  I know I'm leaving out some great boats too, but Ascend hasn't really been part of the news I'm hearing.  Pricepoint turns out to be something that can lure you away from a much better kayak that costs around $1000 instead of $500 or so...  Not trying to be presumptuous about those boats, but that's my take on it.  Good luck.   :smt001 

PS:  I enjoyed (and still enjoy) my cheapo single and tandem kayaks by Mainstream for years before getting on a really nice boat.  So get something:smt003
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Tom.  Come to the Crab Fest and you'll see tons of kayaks and I'm sure people don't mind if you test paddle their yaks and you can try mine too.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

RipnLip

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Welcome aboard. I have the Ascend FS12T SOT. It seams to be alright so far. It tracks straight, paddles easy, and is comfortable to sit in all day for me. Problems I have found thus far are, it leaks a little do
to none of the hardware or hatches have been sealed
to the hull and leak through their mounting holes, the
4" dry storage had no room for anything do to
intrusion of foam that is sprayed under the seat area
( easly fixed with a sharp knife ), and there is no
access to the Stearn section of the hull ( things can
slide around the foam under the seat an into the
Stearn section during loading or tipping ). I have plans
to seal everthing and add a 8" deck plate to the Stearn
to fix these problems.
     Good entry level yak for me, l got it for $300 with wife's employee discont. As for other brands I have
no experience and would seek other members of
NCKA that have more TIME ON THE WATER. Some
day it will be a Hobie for me!!!!

Hope this helps ! 

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
All I can say is that it looks like you will have wet feet due to no scuppers in the footwells. Just like a Prowler it will keep water in there, but it makes a good place to keep your minnows. I am assuming you are looking at the sit on top. For $500 you should be able to find a nice used Tarpon, Prowler or Trident which have been proven to be very solid and long lasting kayaks. They come up for sale on here all the time. The best recommendation is to paddle several different yaks including the Ascend to see how you like them. This weekend you could have purchased a nice kayak at the ISE for 6-800 from Adventure Sports. New with angler packages, paddles rod holders. You might want to check with them also since you aren't too far from them. They like to deal. Let them know you are NCKA. With the ascend you still need to get a paddle which will add $75 or so. Now you are at 600 or so. Ifyou want to test drive a couple kayaks from WS let me know.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Ask Adventure about the "re grind" special. Really good deal on a new T 120.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Welcome aboard! Check out a local shop like Rob says. They'll give you the best bang for your buck.
I've been fishing for years on a 500 buck boat, it floats and is very comfortable and gets me to the fishing grounds!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Test, out other boats, not sure if BPS will allow you to take it out and try it.  I prefer to deal with local guyys rather thana  national chain.  My two cents!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

yakfisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I have sold most major brands of Kayaks at various outdoor stores I have worked at and recently purchased an Ascend fs 10. I like fishin a short boat because most of the alpine lakes around tahoe are quite small and smaller boats are much easier to carry on my van. I was leery about the BPS boats but all who own them seem happy in reviews I have read. I also wanted very specific features I dreamed up before I even started lookin. I thought it a long shot to find a sit in boat with a milk crate tank well in the stern instead of a hatch I cant access on the water. I also really liked the Native watercraft seating but did not want a canoe. I found the Ascend line of kayaks and started reading and calling around,and only heard negatives from kayak venders who wanted to sell me something else. I went for it and I am very impressed. It is not perfect but as close as I expected. It is heavy,but it is thicker plastic than any kayak I have ever seen and I see this as a durability plus. The only design flaw I have found so far is the paddle keepers, the bungee cord is too thick and too short and drilled into the boat too close to the hook,if you do get it over your paddle and hooked its a bitch to unhook. This boat has a deep "V" hull and is faster and tracks better than other 10' boats I have paddled. I am surprised more people are not talking about these yaks,they are cheap compared to other similarly outfitted boats and are built like a tank. Also the seat is really comfortable,removes easily for beach use without the goofy plastic tray the Native seat uses for a base. I really like this thing and its camo.

Bonafide

• Fish On!
  • Salmon
  • Fish On!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I have the ascend sot from bass pro. Got it new from bass pro for $450. It was the best kayak for my pay range at the time. Maybe in the future I'll get a Jackson kayak. But I haven't had no problems with it. Kayak material is thick, and the seat is great that it comes with. I've installed slide rails on mine with ram tube rod holders, anchor trolley kit, and finally my fish finder onto the scotty mount that the kayak comes with. Can't beat the price for this kayak and it has been pretty durable for me thus far. The dry storage is kind of at an odd place, but I just use it to store my keys and wallet
Lowland Jackson Kilroy- [Standup Bar] [Yakattack Blakpak] [Lowrance Elite-4] [Ram Transducer Arm]
Ascend FS12T Angular Kayak- [Anchor Trolley Kit] [Slide Tracks]

Big Buoy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I actually was thinking about getting a smaller kayak for those days I might need to pack my kayak over rocks and launch in tide pools. I have been looking at the Malibu Mini-x it is 9'3" , 33.5" wide and can pick one up for about 550.00 on amazon with free shipping. It has nothing but great reviews, you should check it out.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
This discussion on Ascend kayaks persuaded me to add them to the new Fishing Kayaks Review section at KayakFishingMagazine.net .

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/ascend-list.html

If you have experience on one, would appreciate if you add a user review to the listings.  Thanks.

-Allen