Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New & Looking For Guidance!  (Read 1977 times)

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hey Everyone,

New member here from Marin County looking for guidance on a bunch of different topics.  I’m trying to find what information I can on these forums but I’m hoping the regulars can chime in or point me in the right direction.  I contacted one guy from a youtube video I found and he said he’s up to take me to a couple spots in Marin and Sonoma after he goes crabbing over the next couple weeks, so hopefully that works out and I get some lessons and insight from him.  Right now I'm just reading what I can online but not sure what is going to stick. Summary at the end.

AREA: I live in Novato so I tend to stay in Marin, but looking for spots close by as well.  Currently I’m really only launching out of the McInnis dock near the golf course that goes out to the China Camp area, and I sometimes launch out of the Point Richmond Marina (it’s usually windy so I’ve been put off from making the trip without knowing weather conditions).  Occasional Giants game launching from Pier 52 (it’s always fun going through the two big ships to get to McCovey Cove).  I don’t fish at any of these spots because I’m more casual at the moment, don’t know what kind of fish are in these locations (if any), and would need to setup rods/reels to do so. Don't have the general knowledge on kayak fishing around here.

RIGS: I have two kayaks – one is a Sun Dolphin Excursion 10’ (got it cheap at Sports Authority years ago), and the other is an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL Tandem Angler 13’ 6” purchased from ACK.  I have a bunch of fishing accessories I’ve semi-started to install on the Malibu but have held off because I really haven’t been able to fish and determine what I really want on it & where I want things to go.  I’m now being sold on getting a pedal kayak and am not sure if I can justify the costs since I haven’t been kayak fishing (or even kayaking) as much as I want to.  Right now there's a deal on an Old Town TopWater PDL from AKC and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but not sure if it's going to be the right call for mainly being in the bay, not so much lakes.

TRANSPORTATION: Currently driving a Honda CRV that I bought removable mounts for from amazon that go on my rack – I can carry my two current kayaks on this roof.  If I get another, I will most likely have to get a trailer ($$$) and then mod my CRV (which is a company car) to install a hitch.  If I went this route, thinking about getting one of those 48” x 96” folding trailers from Harbor Freight and some how modding it to safely carry a minimum of two kayaks.  Lots of youtube videos for that so I've been getting good ideas.

CLOTHING:  I don’t really get wet in my Excursion but I kinda do in my Malibu – what kind of clothing do you guys wear for sit-in, sit-on, and pedal kayaks? I get hot from all the paddling I do so I tend to dress light, but then getting hit with the water isn’t pleasant.  I’m thinking about looking into some kind of boot/wader combo but have no idea how if they aren’t connected, your feet don’t get soaked?

- Looking for launch spots in Marin (or close by 30-60 minute drive) for both fishing or casual rides (preferably no cost & easy access)
- Looking for setup recommendations (rods/reels/lines/lures/sinkers/etc) for these locations and a general how-to for catching different fish (casting line to the bottom, middle, trolling, etc)
- Looking for fishing information on these locations and species such as seasonal times
- Looking for best way to determine weather conditions and tides for these launch spots (really sucks when wind decides to ruin the day)
- Looking for thoughts and opinions on getting another kayak, specifically the OldTown Topwater PDL kayak ($2k from ACK that includes a $300 fish finder).  Not sure if I should pull the trigger on this deal or wait for something else to come out, but by the looks of it I dig this 10’ pedal yak.  Can’t really test a bunch of different kayaks so I have to go off of what I find on ACK and the internet
- Looking for any sort of information/opinion/conversation on fish finders and how they work
- Looking for any opinion/input on the transportation aspect of 3 kayaks, as well as potentially modifying one of those trailers I mentioned from Harbor Freight.  I’ve read you can carry kayaks with this but not sure if people mod them or how they do that

Would love to turn this into a thread of information and discussion - I know it's a lot so anything is appreciated!

Ryan

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Welcome Ryan.

Who are you looking at going out with? 

After you have ten posts more of the site will open up to you, you will find more hookups and be able to get good advice and see how people have their rigs set up.  Crab season is only a couple weeks away, Doran beach is a pretty popular spot down that way with an easy launch and close crabbing grounds.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Welcome :smt006

Longest intro ever  :smt015
 :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

Believe it or not, every single subject in your intro is covered here, the search function is of questionable value, but just read, read, read. Wander around the site and you'll start to see where the info you want is likely to be. Safety, Safety, Safety, everything else comes second. Get those 10 posts by asking individual questions, congratulating peeps on their great catches, and giving some input like describing that launch you use to get to China Camp area, sturgeon season is upon us. Also every time you go out post up a trip report.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:30:59 PM by Dale L »

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Can you tie your own rigs? Do you know how to target certain fish specifically... can you provide your own bait.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome , Start here ....

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=27534.0

Thanks, good read. I definitely need to change up my clothing and get a couple more items.

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome Ryan.

Who are you looking at going out with? 

After you have ten posts more of the site will open up to you, you will find more hookups and be able to get good advice and see how people have their rigs set up.  Crab season is only a couple weeks away, Doran beach is a pretty popular spot down that way with an easy launch and close crabbing grounds.

A guy named Wyatt from Marin Outdoors; found his youtube channel, emailed him, briefly talked.  Crab season is coming up for him so it'll be a couple weeks after the season opener, at least.  We'll see what happens.

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Knew someone was going to like it!  :smt001

There's a lot to catch up on  :smt002

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Believe it or not, every single subject in your intro is covered here, the search function is of questionable value, but just read, read, read. Wander around the site and you'll start to see where the info you want is likely to be. Safety, Safety, Safety, everything else comes second. Get those 10 posts by asking individual questions, congratulating peeps on their great catches, and giving some input like describing that launch you use to get to China Camp area, sturgeon season is upon us. Also every time you go out post up a trip report.

Thanks Dale.  I've looked around a bit with what extra time I have, I could spend hours and hours researching stuff so I was hoping I could start a discussion and get a head start.  Right now I'm sinking my research time into looking at kayaks and that HF trailer + mods.  On my way to 10 posts

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Can you tie your own rigs? Do you know how to target certain fish specifically... can you provide your own bait.

Nope, nope & nope; once I find out what is accessible by kayak in my area, and when, I'll research tying up leaders and baiting and all that to figure out the 'how'.  I just spent a week on the Rogue river up in Oregon catching salmon on a drift boat, so I've got some idea about that but not something like Halibut to keep, or anything to catch & release.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I live in Novato.  Love learning this area.  So many spots so little time.  Welcome to the boards.  Sounds like you've fished before?   :smt006

This thread might get you started.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=85514.0
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:10:36 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Ryan  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I live in Novato.  Love learning this area.  So many spots so little time.  Welcome to the boards.  Sounds like you've fished before?   :smt006

Thanks Eddie. I feel like there aren’t any spots! Where do you usually go in Novato or Marin? I think it’s crazy none of the lakes can be kayak’d...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Welcome aboard Ryan  :smt006

Thank you

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Thanks Eddie. I feel like there aren’t any spots! Where do you usually go in Novato or Marin? I think it’s crazy none of the lakes can be kayak’d...

Mcnears or Paradise, Black point, Tomales, stripers and sturgeon and halibut, but I venture up to 1.5hrs to fish also.  Gotta study the tides and figure out your anchor system before you mess with the bay.  She's no respecter of kayaks...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:12:38 AM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything