Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:34:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:08:13 AM]

[Today at 07:24:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Just Joined - Sevengill in Tomales?  (Read 717 times)

Captainski009

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Buddy and I hit Tomales this morning for a few hours before getting blown off and lost half a dozen rigs each to sharks. We didn’t have wire leader on us and took a few before we got one close enough to get a look, we think they were big ‘ole sevengills (buddy nearly got spooled twice and the one we saw was north of 5’).  Never fished Tomales for halibut before, is it always like that?  Got into a few shakers in the afternoon back in SF Bay, but would have been a lot more fun with wire leaders if we could have whacked a few sharks...

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Welcome Captainski009  :smt006

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Tomales is a different animal , you either hate it or love it.  That Bay doesn’t play around... but when the weather and fishing cooperate it’s an awesome place.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Woovula

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Welcome! And good luck with those sharks!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA CS009  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Welcome to NCKA!
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Welcome to NCKA
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Did it have spots ? Most of the 7 gills I have seen have spots. Lot of Angel Sharks in Tamale.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Hey! Welcome Capt. Oh yeah there are sharks in Tomales.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Biggest fish I've got out of Tomales was a 7 gill, 67", released, teeth like razor blades, (not like leopard teeth at all). 

Captainski009

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Biggest fish I've got out of Tomales was a 7 gill, 67", released, teeth like razor blades, (not like leopard teeth at all).

We’re you targeting them or just bycatch?  We lost a ton of rigs, needed wire for sure, but we were targeting halibut.  Not sure how leader-shy the buts are, it’d be awesome to get into sharks and halibut both.  How’d you land a 67” shark on the yak?  My buddy was the only one of us to get one near the surface - it was just following the bait up, he didn’t really get it in - but he figured it was 5’ easy and it scared the pants off him, felt like something tiny. He wasn’t sure how he’d have got it in even if he had the right gear...

Captainski009

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Did it have spots ? Most of the 7 gills I have seen have spots. Lot of Angel Sharks in Tamale.

No spots, just grey with a huge head. We wound up at Paradise Cove later that day and the ranger said he spears there and sees the sevens all the time, we said “big head” and he just started nodding like crazy saying “yep, that’s a sevengill.”  I have no idea.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

We’re you targeting them or just bycatch?  We lost a ton of rigs, needed wire for sure, but we were targeting halibut.  Not sure how leader-shy the buts are, it’d be awesome to get into sharks and halibut both.  How’d you land a 67” shark on the yak?  My buddy was the only one of us to get one near the surface - it was just following the bait up, he didn’t really get it in - but he figured it was 5’ easy and it scared the pants off him, felt like something tiny. He wasn’t sure how he’d have got it in even if he had the right gear...

That one was in a boat, and we were targeting sharks with wire leaders across from Marshall there are some holes but the sharks seem to be everywhere in the bay. we used like a 7/0 single hook with squid.  Biggest fish on the yak was my avatar fish 50+ inches.  Sturgeon are relatively easy, just make em run til they're done, tired and docile. Caught some leopards on the yak close to 4 ft, they have minimal teeth and are not bad to handle.  Sevengills have teeth like razors, be careful with them.  Tomales also has spiny dogfish but they seem to come and go, watch out they do have some serious spines which is a surprise because they look like any other shark, cool green eyes too. Add smooth hounds, bat rays, halibut, stripers, and the occasional WSB, along with lots of different bait fishes from anchovie, smelt, mackerel, staghorns, midshipmen, perches, etc and some times you can't put your rod down without losing it overboard, (ask me how I know). But with all that said I have been skunked there. I also had a workmate that spent alot of time sailing Tomales and he swears he's seen GWS inside the bay.

Tomales is just a cool place indeed, and there's more than I listed. I need to get up there again.

anything