Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:02 PM]

[Today at 06:43:50 PM]

[Today at 06:09:14 PM]

[Today at 04:25:53 PM]

[Today at 03:18:45 PM]

[Today at 01:17:52 PM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: “GO / No-Go” tide charts for halibut and salmon  (Read 1329 times)

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
What’s up, guys?

I had a few minutes to spare while listening in on a (mandatory but not at all relevant to me) work meeting, so I pulled together a couple tide charts in Excel, ran a couple simple calcs, and applied some conditional formatting.

The first tab gives “GO / No-Go” recommendations for SF Bay halibut fishing based on the magnitude of tide swings predicted for the Alameda Rockwall Area. Right now it’s set to give a “No-Go” call for a certain timeframe if the tide swing is over 4 ft (either outgoing or incoming). As we know, big swings equal big currents and murky water, neither of which are ideal for halibut fishing.

The second tab lists Bolinas tides. Aside from just listing high and low tides (helpful because salmon fishing tends to heat up around tide swings) it also gives a “GO / No-Go” for the Brighton launch based on the magnitude of the high tides. It’s current set to say “GO!” if the high tides are less than 4 ft magnitude - above that the Brighton launch/landing can be sketchy. (This only matters if a high tides lands at launch/landing time, and the the channel certainly might be an option on some “No-Go” days.)

Happy to email the Excel files to anyone who’s interested. Just shoot me a PM with your email address.

Now we just have to hope this COVID-19 wave will subside enough for Marin County beaches to open up....

Cheers,

~Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
dude, awesome.  you just helped me tremendously with putting in my time off at work.  perfect, will send you a DM.  Thanks!
IG: @sakana_seeker

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
No prob! If this helps a few people catch fish it'll be 10 minutes well spent!

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
What’s up, guys?

I had a few minutes to spare while listening in on a (mandatory but not at all relevant to me) work meeting, so I pulled together a couple tide charts in Excel, ran a couple simple calcs, and applied some conditional formatting.

The first tab gives “GO / No-Go” recommendations for SF Bay halibut fishing based on the magnitude of tide swings predicted for the Alameda Rockwall Area. Right now it’s set to give a “No-Go” call for a certain timeframe if the tide swing is over 4 ft (either outgoing or incoming). As we know, big swings equal big currents and murky water, neither of which are ideal for halibut fishing.

The second tab lists Bolinas tides. Aside from just listing high and low tides (helpful because salmon fishing tends to heat up around tide swings) it also gives a “GO / No-Go” for the Brighton launch based on the magnitude of the high tides. It’s current set to say “GO!” if the high tides are less than 4 ft magnitude - above that the Brighton launch/landing can be sketchy. (This only matters if a high tides lands at launch/landing time, and the the channel certainly might be an option on some “No-Go” days.)

Happy to email the Excel files to anyone who’s interested. Just shoot me a PM with your email address.

Now we just have to hope this COVID-19 wave will subside enough for Marin County beaches to open up....

Cheers,

~Alex

Very cool! might see if i can put it in a powerBI model and do some data visualization haha
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What’s up, guys?

Cheers,

~Alex

Very cool! might see if i can put it in a powerBI model and do some data visualization haha

Haha! Go nuts!

If you want more raw data, you can find it by clicking the "Click Here for Annual Published Tide Tables" on the NOAA tide page. (See example below)
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=9414958&legacy=1

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
wow...good rule of thumb.
we did get a 32" halibut and a few other we released on Monday 25th, that was a big ass minus tide something like 7+ foot swing in the AM and a nearly 6 foot swing PM.

all i am saying is that depending on the tides you have to pick your spots and your timing

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
  That's good stuff.   But you got me thinking: I was born, and my working life was too soon -where was "working" from home and virtual meetings when I was trapped in endless meetings that had little to do with me and that seemed to run the whole damned lunch hour even if it all could have been said in 5 minutes?

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
wow...good rule of thumb.
we did get a 32" halibut and a few other we released on Monday 25th, that was a big ass minus tide something like 7+ foot swing in the AM and a nearly 6 foot swing PM.

all i am saying is that depending on the tides you have to pick your spots and your timing
Of course. Lots of halibut are caught in less than perfect conditions, but “ideal” days have smaller tide swings that let the water clear up a bit.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  That's good stuff.   But you got me thinking: I was born, and my working life was too soon -where was "working" from home and virtual meetings when I was trapped in endless meetings that had little to do with me and that seemed to run the whole damned lunch hour even if it all could have been said in 5 minutes?
Haha! We still have plenty of those meetings during “normal” times when we’re working in the office...

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Haha! We still have plenty of those meetings during “normal” times when we’re working in the office...

+1!  i"m on one now.

anything