Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:09:46 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Terminal Tackle Swivel Question  (Read 1774 times)

SaltyTherapy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
So I've done a lot of research on the topic, and have never been able to find a straight, unified answer to this. When fishing a lure, do you tend to tie direct to your lure, or attach a snap/barrel swivel to it?

I like the idea of switching between lures on the go with a snap swivel when fishing different lures for bass/trout, but I've always been afraid of the fish seeing the swivel and being shy. I've been told to always use a rotating swivel with any lure/bait that spins to prevent line twist, but I tend to tie direct to crankbaits and swimbaits/jigs because I'm afraid of hurting the action of the lure. For dropshots or carolinas, I use a swivel with a pretied leader.

Does it depend on the lure type youre using? Does using a swivel hurt the action of certain types of lures, or the hook up ratio, or increase short strike occurrence? Are fish really shy of swivels if the bite is off, but you can get away with it if the bite is on? I really like the convenience of switching up baits on the go with a snap without having to retie.
Blue Revolution 13 2014
Papaya Compass 2020
Papaya Revolution 13 2022

Many fishermen spend their lives chasing fish, only to realize that it was themselves that they were chasing.

The "Salty" in my handle refers to my attitude, not the waters I fish

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I've gotten away from using swivels to connect my lures for the reasons you stated.  When trolling I use bead chains above my leader to help prevent line twist from the lures.  I seem to get a better action when not using a swivel.  i am currently experimenting with loop knots to see if they are strong enough and allow a natural presentation.  There are quite a few youtube videos on different knots that are fairly quick to tie, including the loop knot I mentioned.
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
There are other (much smaller) options to quickly switch between lures if that’s what you’re looking for. No need for a traditional snap swivel.

That said, I’d say 99% of the time I direct tie. If a swivel is needed, I add one a couple feet up the line.

99% of the time I tie a Palomar. The only time I feel the need to switch is if I’m fishing certain hard baits that swim better/straighter with a loop knot (i.e. trout trolling with a jointed Rapala). In that case I use the Rapala knot. It’s definitely not as strong as a Palomar, but I’ve never had one break despite catching some freakishly large trout at San Pablo reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
There are other (much smaller) options to quickly switch between lures if that’s what you’re looking for. No need for a traditional snap swivel.

That said, I’d say 99% of the time I direct tie. If a swivel is needed, I add one a couple feet up the line.

99% of the time I tie a Palomar. The only time I feel the need to switch is if I’m fishing certain hard baits that swim better/straighter with a loop knot (i.e. trout trolling with a jointed Rapala). In that case I use the Rapala knot. It’s definitely not as strong as a Palomar, but I’ve never had one break despite catching some freakishly large trout at San Pablo reservoir.

^what Alex said. With my standard saltwater rockfish lures I tie direct with 30lb mono and clip off and re-tie as often as I need to in rocky structure, since the leader gets abraded pretty quickly either by sharp rocks or ling teeth.
I agree having a good loop knot in the quiver is a good idea, although I don't have one to recommend. If the live bait available is a pinhead chovie and I'm using fine wire hooks, then I research the knot the night before :smt005
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
According to the guys that shore fish the Santa Clara county lakes and leave trash and broken off rigs all over the tree structure....,,always use something like a 500lb swivel to attach a crappie jig....and if you can’t cast it far enough cause it’s too light, attach a 2 oz bell sinker above or below said crappie jig.   :smt001

You’re never gonna find a straight answer cause one doesn’t exist.  If I’m shorebanging and can only take two rods I keep a decoy egg snap on my hard bait rod so I can easily switch between baits.  I have certain baits that I remove the split ring from and keep a egg snap on because I prefer the action with the snap.  I have some baits I remove the split ring from and tie direct because I like the muted action.  I have one bait I swear runs way more erratic with a snap to split ring lol. 

Adjust to the bait, adjust to the conditions and I think you’ll be alright. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

^what Alex said. With my standard saltwater rockfish lures I tie direct with 30lb mono and clip off and re-tie as often as I need to in rocky structure, since the leader gets abraded pretty quickly either by sharp rocks or ling teeth.
I agree having a good loop knot in the quiver is a good idea, although I don't have one to recommend. If the live bait available is a pinhead chovie and I'm using fine wire hooks, then I research the knot the night before :smt005

+1
I also use the Norman speed clips as Well. The bigs ones.
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I’m also a big fan of stainless steel “figure 8” snaps (Silver Horde makes them). These come in very handy for switching out leaders, flashers, weights, divers, etc, etc, etc...

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Or just tie a swivel to ur leader and connect w snap ring, must keep snap ring pliers handy tho .
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Todash

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
I use a snap swivel most of the time so I can switch quickly, but have been wondering about tying direct. Seems there is no easy answer.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
With my standard saltwater rockfish lures I tie direct with 30lb mono and clip off and re-tie as often as I need to in rocky structure, since the leader gets abraded pretty quickly either by sharp rocks or ling teeth.

I’d think that rockfish would not much care how your lure is connected to your line, and lingcod might actually prefer that little extra bling provided by a huge 500# snap swivel...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
BWTF do I know I suck at kayak fishing..hell I had my own tourney once , only entry and I still lost   :smt044

Ha ha! I’ve had plenty of those tourney days too.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
For lakes,

I have started to use a snap (as small as I can find) for fly fishing.  My old eyes and thick fingers are a bad combo for tying and retying flies.  So far, I have not had a noticeable difference in action or bites.

I am starting to use a larger snap for crankbaits for the same reason plus it saves me a little bit of time. 

I avoid swivels as I am not trolling.  I cast and crank  :smt044

David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Waywardmanini

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I know what you mean.  Oh to have young eyes again.  :smt003 DDT

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
For bottomfishing, with 30# mainline terminated at a ball-bearing snap swivel. I tie short leaders to jigheads with 25# mono, and just clip the swivel to a loop. That way when I hang up, it breaks the leader instead of the mainline, so I waste less time re-rigging.

For dropshots or high-low rigs I put a small loop at the top, to connect the swivel to, and a bigger loop at the bottom to connect the weight. Convenient and less hardware to get tangled or lost.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)