Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: specialty knots.....  (Read 79521 times)

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Great topic Mooch! How about my new favorite knot... the Trilene? I like the fact that it goes around the hook/split ring twice for a little more support. I've had uni's bust there so I guess it's become superstition for me. Not the absolute easiest knot to tie but not that hard either and worth the effort IMO.

Z

2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

Z, good point, that is why I can't decide between the palomar and the uni for the duolock at the bottom. cause the palomar goes through the hole twice.

one rule of thumb is how skinny the thing is you are tying to. if it's a nice fat swivel either knot works and one wrap around the fat swivel seems fine. but if you are tying to something with thin diameter like a small duolock going around it twice is a good idea and that is why I sometimes use a palomar there. but a palomar takes a little more spit and care to not tweak the mono just above the knot.

you can also double your line and tie a uni if you want it to go through the hole twice. I do this sometimes.

scott, dunaway says the spider hitch tests on a machine well, but slowly weakens and loosens on a long hard fight while the albright does not. he also says a palomar can break with a hard shock while a uni handles that better. but I think he has some vested interest in the uni knot system being used a lot since he had a lot to do with publicising that one.

he shows the trilene and just says it is a good knot that is a variation on the standard clinch knot and goes through the hole twice.

the dropper loop is one that gave me a lot of problems when learning. I'd pull and it would just unravel. also, Dunaway does not show the real dropper loop knot and says you can use a surgeons loop as a dropper, but you really can't, it breaks too easily. This is a real omission in his book and cost me a fish or two. A real dropper loop knot is definitely the way to go. you have to use quite a bit of spit and have a way to hold the loop extended while you pull on both ends of the line. a good dropper is still the weak point in the leader, but if you tie it carefully it only weakens the leader a little so that abrasion is the thing that finally kills the leader.
john m. airey

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I used to only use a uni knot for 99% of my fishing situations, but I've branched out a bit more. I always use a palomar when using braid, and when tying braid to mono I always use the albright. Mono to mono, or mono to flouro gets a uni to uni knot.

One more specialty knot I use a lot is the Rapala Knot. I use this for fishing live bait with light wire hooks that don't have a ring. Tying a Rapala Knot leaves a loop at the end of your line that doesn't slide when you have a fish on, which would weaken the line. The loop provides the same benefit as a ring does for heavier hooks in that it allows your bait to swim more naturally.

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/rapala_knot.htm
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I've got some learnin' to do.  I know all the names but can only tie the palomar, improved cinch, and the rapala knot. :smt011

Michael

[WR]

• Salmon
  • VFW Life Member at Large since 1997
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
to the albright and uni, i'd add the eye crosser knot... helps with braid to flouro and works great putting a snap or barrel swivel in your rigs
http://www.netknots.com/html/eye_crosser_knot.html
Why so many typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs...

stache54

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Here's a fairly new line to lure knot called the fish-n-fool knot.  It's easy to tie and is stronger than the Palomar knot.  http://www.versuscountry.com/itemdetail.aspx?id=3735
Light Blue Cobra Marauder

stache54

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Here's another dropper loop called the Kwi Dropper Loop, that is a little harder than the original dropper loop, but it's much stronger.  Try tying both versions on a single line and pull the line to see which one breaks first.   Ilike to use the extra loop for an even higher strength knot

stache54

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Here's a knot called the J Knot that is great for attaching a monofilament leader to a braided main line that I think is a little easier to tie than the Double Uni Knot and just as strong.  Try it, you might like it.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
Here's a knot called the J Knot that is great for attaching a monofilament leader to a braided main line that I think is a little easier to tie than the Double Uni Knot and just as strong.  Try it, you might like it.

I've become a very big fan of the J Knot when going from braid to mono/fluoro.

Since most of my reels are spooled w/ power pro braid I normally have to tie a leader of mono. My go to's have been to tie a swivel on and then the leader or do a uni-uni splice. The swivel was strong but it wouldn't fit through the guides so if I had a long leader was hard to land fish. The uni-uni was nice but not quite as strong as I wanted. Problem I saw was all the stress was right where the mono wrapped around the braid and made a 90 degree turn. When it got really tight under pressure it constricted the single wrap of mono and broke right there regularly. I'd looked for a new knot that made sense physically, was proven to hold well, and wasn't too hard to tie. What I came up with was the J Knot.

The nice thing about the J Knot is that it doesn't require the mono to make a 90 degree turn around the braid and create that constricting point. Instead it has a few turns that it takes together with the braid meaning the turns are more rounded out overall. I also like that the knot is pretty low profile and slips through the guides nicely.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Check out this link to a braid to mono/floro knot. Looks to be a good strong smooth knot. I'm going to give it a go and do some strength tests on it.
http://www.gulffishing.com/spectra2mono.html

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Check out this link to a braid to mono/floro knot. Looks to be a good strong smooth knot. I'm going to give it a go and do some strength tests on it.
http://www.gulffishing.com/spectra2mono.html

Great know have been useing it since last year and have yet to have it break always have the lure break off before the braid to mono will break

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Here's a fairly new line to lure knot called the fish-n-fool knot.  It's easy to tie and is stronger than the Palomar knot.  http://www.versuscountry.com/itemdetail.aspx?id=3735

I saw that episode of knot wars. This knot has another name, but I can't recall right now.
I've been tying this knot with my braid for years...ever since I saw it recommended in the brochure that comes w/300yd spool of Spiderwire Stealth.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I tried this knot this weekend and it looks like a winner. Only tied one, but when I reefed on it it held real strong.
Further tests are pending.... :smt002

prowlingNorCal

• Kim
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Can anyone tell me what knot to use to tie a shrimp fly direct to my line?

I thought it was called a "loop knot" but that leaves a "loop".  I want it up tight against the line (it will be above my swimbait about 1 1/2' up the line...

Thanks!

Kim
Love it!

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I use a Palomar when drop-shotting bass, but I'm also not expecting to put any tension on the line below the knot. It could be that this is a weak spot, as most dropper knots are.

Personally, I just fish a single lure, as you never know when Mr. Big is going to grab it. The Linda Mar monster still haunts me...

Scott