Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: CDPH Warns Not to EatBivalve Shellfish from Alameda & Contra Costa Counties  (Read 818 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
March 19, 2018

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) is advising consumers not to eat recreationally harvested mussels, clams or whole scallops from Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

Dangerous levels of paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) toxins have been detected in mussels from this area. The naturally occurring PSP toxins can cause illness or death in humans. Cooking does not destroy the toxin.

Health Advisories due to PSP are also in place for Sonoma, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties. These health advisories apply to the entirety of the counties including inside the San Francisco Bay.

This warning does not apply to commercially sold clams, mussels, scallops or oysters from approved sources. State law permits only state-certified commercial shellfish harvesters or dealers to sell these products. Shellfish sold by certified harvesters and dealers are subject to frequent mandatory testing to monitor for toxins.

PSP toxins affect the central nervous system, producing a tingling around the mouth and fingertips within a few minutes to a few hours after eating toxic shellfish. These symptoms are typically followed by loss of balance, lack of muscular coordination, slurred speech and difficulty swallowing. In severe poisonings, complete muscular paralysis and death from asphyxiation can occur.

You can get the most current information on shellfish advisories and quarantines by calling CDPH's toll-free Shellfish Information Line at (800) 553-4133. For additional information, please visit the CDPH Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Web page.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
So i'm assuming gaper clams from Tbay out the question here?
I heard conflicting reports that they are still open but any clarification would help. I mean, i only go like twice a year for fun.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
So i'm assuming gaper clams from Tbay out the question here?
I heard conflicting reports that they are still open but any clarification would help. I mean, i only go like twice a year for fun.

This post was about Alameda and Contra Costa County.  (Assuming you mean Tomales Bay...if you just meant "the bay", disregard this whole thing.)

Marin is also closed, and to answer your question:
Lawson's landing blog says they just sent some in for testing a few days ago, and they came back at 7x the recommended levels for PSP toxin... and those folks make a living off of people going there.

I wouldn't eat 'em.

http://fishlawsons.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:19:55 PM by Tez »

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Lawson's landing blog says they just sent some in for testing a few days ago, and they came back at 7x the recommended levels for PSP toxin... and those folks make a living off of people going there.

Not worth it even if they are open.

How is it possible clams from Lawson's Landing have toxic levels of PSP, but commercial oysters farmed in the same bay are safe to eat?  :dontknow:

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile

How is it possible clams from Lawson's Landing have toxic levels of PSP, but commercial oysters farmed in the same bay are safe to eat?  :dontknow:

Very good question. 

Lawson's says they sent in 4 clams to the California Department of Public Health, not sure who is responsible for testing the Tomales Bay Oysters (The same people?).  I don't know the science of the differences between clams and oysters... 

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008

Very good question. 

Lawson's says they sent in 4 clams to the California Department of Public Health, not sure who is responsible for testing the Tomales Bay Oysters (The same people?).  I don't know the science of the differences between clams and oysters...

This stuff just sounds kinda fishy. I'm don't really care either way but If they start banning salmon because of "toxins" there is gonna be a riot.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
If they start banning salmon because of "toxins" there is gonna be a riot.

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Those salmon better be glowing with radiation before they try that one!

fishingsowong

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Thanks for the info. Guess I won't go clamming for a while.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

Because the oyster farmers pay the politicians more money then the general public.  :smt044

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

anything