Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DV stripers  (Read 1225 times)

mikechin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
I put on about 2PM yesterday. It was overcast and intermittently windy. Maybe 1 short boil, very little bait seen for the next 4 hours. 10 minutes before 6PM boats-off, fish started working. Mostly sub-legal, but I kept one skinny 4lber.

It always amazes me how at DV I can look for hours on the FFndr and see absolutely nothing, and then by magic a huge school of stripes materializes where I've made multiple passes. Where the hell were they hiding??

I've heard it's been good for a few weeks, early and late in the day. I've caught fish well into November in the past, but the bait seems sparse this year. Nov1 it's boat-off at 5PM.

Same old tackle; 8wt, 30' T11 head, 2-3" anything-with-white/chartreuse.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
What FF are you using? Awesome screenshots!  :smt006
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Great report, thanks for posting that!! I will be up there tomorrow, will you be back up there also? I have a 7-9 weight rod/reel that I have never used. It was my father in laws and re-wrapped it. I'll bring it just in case you show up. We will be in the campground; "Komfort" 5th wheel with maroon F250
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:29:15 PM by snapperhead »
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
The last couple of times I went this month, I saw the morning boils to the right of the launch and the little cove in the first bay.  Found some drop offs at the entrance of the first bay, and marked fished, but the next time they were not there.  They are constantly on the move following the bait, so the last time I anchored up and soaked bait.  Got a couple nibbles, but nothing stuck.  One day they are at the dam, the next day they are gone... tough place to fish for me... skunked a lot there.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Nice report, haven't been up there in a while, might have to go check it out. You do have to paddle around until you find them. Side scan would definitely be a help in finding them. I seem to have the best luck in the narrows, stay there long enough and the fish will show. I start stripping a clouser over the smallest blip, still amazed how often I will catch a fish doing that...
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I've never fished there, gonna have to give it a try some day.  I'm heading out to the delta tomorrow, still trying to find my 10 pounder.  Got close with a 9.7 pounder, but not a 10 yet.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

mikechin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
My FFndr is a Humminbird 797csi. I usually see fish first on the down-imaging screen, probably because it's just easier to see with my tired eyes. The SI is very nice in helping to figure out which side of the boat to cast to. I'm shooting thru a fiberglass hull, with the xducer sitting in a puddle of ultrasound gel.

I may be out there Sunday mid-day for some family swimming, we'll be in a double fiberglass blue SOT.

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I usually marked them at the opening to Swallow Bay; deep.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator