Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly patterns and other stuff  (Read 3171 times)

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Here is one of my all time Favorite patterns, for its ease of tying and that it works on almost all species just change colors and adjust the amount of weight .Add or omit flash and ta da!!!   The Nightleech !!! What are your Favorites ? :smt001 Also my version of the Boss a Russian river original!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:44:10 AM by CptSloppywood »

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
This is one of my paper mache projects that is unfinished! I completed a 16" white sturgeon and this is a Smallmouth bass. Me thinks it is going to come out awesome. looks angry!!!hahah
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:41:41 AM by CptSloppywood »

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Good looking flies.
You can never go wrong with a "Boss".
Hopefully the Russian gets water soon otherwise we won't be swinging anything this year. :smt010

~MarcosM~

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
If we're talking swinging fall trin/klam steel I like these and my burning hottie as Rockroach named it. I always have a bunch of assassins though, I'm sure I'd do just as well with assassins or any mossback/brindle bug or silver hilton type fly. Gray light or dusk I'll throw a muddler either purple, purple, or purple to skate on a dry line.

Winter steelies is a whole other story...

NCKA fall steelie fly swap?
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
If we're talking swinging fall trin/klam steel I like these and my burning hottie as Rockroach named it. I always have a bunch of assassins though, I'm sure I'd do just as well with assassins or any mossback/brindle bug or silver hilton type fly. Gray light or dusk I'll throw a muddler either purple, purple, or purple to skate on a dry line.

Winter steelies is a whole other story...

NCKA fall steelie fly swap?

I hooked three fish in an hour at Hawkins bar last Thursday with a silver hilton on the Trinity before heading downriver in the ww yak teaching a buddy. Saw a ton of fish, lots of half pounders in the tailouts.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Golfish, Love the green floss wraps on your Fly.Reminds me of a Skunk Pattern :smt001

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Nice work fellas!

I hope to get back to tying, the few easy patterns that I have done seem to be effective - sometimes :smt044

Cool sculpture CSW, are you gonna paint it?
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
yeah but i have other stuff to finish first. here is one i just finished!

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Here's are a few classics that I have confidence in and will be using for that next few months.
I couldn't find a picture of my Green Butt Silver Hiltons Spider but they are my go to for fall steel.
Except for my Russian River Comets my winter flies are a completely different story.
~MarcosM~

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Rr.,your Trinity Flys look Great.The Comets Remind me of the Comets Fernado Tabor Used to tie.He owned a little Fly Shop in Petaluma maybe 15 years back! did you know him?

bwodun

Remind me of the Comets Fernado Tabor Used to tie.He owned a little Fly Shop in Petaluma maybe 15 years back!
miss that shop and fernando and his wife, first shop i went to when i moved to sonoma county from colorado, unfortunately it closed a couple years later, cameron

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Cool,I am glad you got to know him! I was fortunate enough to get to fish with him . One of the biggest steelhead I ever saw was one he Caught . If i ever get a scanner I will post those pics. Pretty old pics ,but not bad though!!! David

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Remind me of the Comets Fernado Tabor Used to tie.He owned a little Fly Shop in Petaluma maybe 15 years back!
miss that shop and fernando and his wife, first shop i went to when i moved to sonoma county from colorado, unfortunately it closed a couple years later, cameron
Nope, I've never been. Where was it exactly?
Carlo always told me, when I get into chasing steel on a fly, the only flies I'll ever need were a handful of Comets and Boss's.
I've been a Metalhead all my life but It's only in the last 4/5 years been tossing feathers for steel.
I jumped on the 2-handed craze and never let up. Fully invested now :smt004
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:44:15 AM by Rockroach »
~MarcosM~

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yep, Carlo is a Great Guy and a Great fisherman. I miss Westerns, not a huge fan of the OPS! I started Flyfishing in the Early '90's but never tried spey or switch rods. The two handed style looks like super fun and way more effective for covering bigger water.Some day I will get into it, but now i dont have the time or $$$ for a new hobby, kayaks are my latest craze and i am addicted!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:30:56 AM by CptSloppywood »

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  Yeah, at First Fernado would try to sell me all this stuff and then Liz would make me put it all back except what i really needed. In Later years he taught me to tie, then he wanted me to tie for the store but I only like to tie just for personal use ( addict,hahah)