Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:19:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:08:24 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: soul recharge with the mooch (mendo puddle)  (Read 1739 times)

bwodun

so, headed up to the puddle on tuesday to fling some flies, it was a great morning, and had a great feeling when i got there, this was the day after the one year anniversary of the passing of mooch. the previous year a few of us had planned on a fish and chill with mooch at his beloved lake mendocino, but unfortunately, mooch went into the hospital for the last time that week, i havent fished it since then, but today was the day for me to return, to honor mooch and fish alone with just him up above as my guide. i could feel him with me and knew he was smiling. launched a little after 730 and paddled to the spot, as i arrived there was bait being slashed by a predator from below, and i knew it was him showing me the way, so started casting a clouser into the school and was rewarded with a small LMB, gave thanks and casted again, and got a few more cookie cutter lmb, then moved on since further down i saw and heard more predators slashing bait, the wx was perfect, sunny, warm with just the slightest breeze to give me a perfect drift for casting and stripping. got a nice thump and strip set and landed a nice pike minnow, then a few more after that, then as i am drifting and casting i get a THUMP, and it starts taking line, then turns and runs towards me, and i went into jose wejebe mode and just started smacking the reel to pick up line instead of reeling, then it shoots straight up into the air, SMALLIE, and a real nice one, it gave me a good 4-5 jumps then went deep and we battled for a bit, then it came to the net :smt003 gave a big shout out to mooch for the gift. released the smallie and on the next cast i got an even bigger THUMP, set the hook and it was on, in my mind i was thinking catfish, wow never caught one on the fly before, this would be cool if it is. the fish bull dogged me for a good 5 minutes before i saw any color, then i saw a tail flash, and at first i was thinking this would be the biggest LMB of my life because of the color and spots, but a few minutes later, it came to full view and it would be my first catfish on the fly. finally got it in the net and the shinning golden color reminded me of buddah, and i knew it was mooch again saying hello, and again i looked upward and thanked him. we had a great conversation that day, the two of us, on the lake, alone, not another angler around, by about noon i decided that i have had a great morning, caught many fish and was satisfied and my soul was recharged so i paddled back to the ramp with the fish still on the chew and slowly packed my gear and loaded the boat, as i was doing this i got a visit from scwafish and schoolie at the ramp,  another great surprise, then headed south with a happy heart, thanks mooch for a great day, i miss you buddy and glad we finally got to spend a last day on mendo, cameron
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:33:03 PM by bwodun »

bwodun

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Glad to hear you got out! I saw your rig out and around. I was happy thinking that you were getting some. Nice fish.
-Amos
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Awesome trip and report!!!  And don't you just love big cats on a fly rod!!  Got my biggest at Clear Lake this year.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Nice report!
I'll be there before sunrise Sunday.
I lost a handline with a catfish on it tonight. It was dark and it pulled right out of my hands. Blue pool noodle.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Good on yah! I'm sure mooch is looking down and smiling.

I saw some giant marks on my FF on San Luis a couple months ago, thought it was my double digit striper that place owes me, then since it didn't fight like a striper I was hoping catfish, turned out I tail snagged a giant carp, LOL.

I was fishing my beater saltwater 10wt, with 24' of T18 to get down to 50ft where the marks were, LOL.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Glad your soul has been recharged  :smt001  Thanks for the Mendo report and pictures Cameron.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Mooch was always fond of the "Bendo @ Mendo" hookups; always use to talk about the glory days of NCKA there. Thou I wasn't around during that era, the way Joel reminisced about those times, that place was always special to him... Way to honor our brother!

Great report, great pics!!!
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Great report Cam, did you launch at the north ramp. I gotta get up there an pay my respects before it drys up. Joel's favorite spot was Crappie Cove is it dry?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Love it and thanks for sharing.
Cats on the fly...and they said it couldn't be done twice this year :smt044 :smt003
~MarcosM~

bwodun

Great report Cam, did you launch at the north ramp. I gotta get up there an pay my respects before it drys up. Joel's favorite spot was Crappie Cove is it dry?
south ramp mike, and yea crappie cove is dry, but longpoint is holding fish :smt003

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

FISHADOW

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Pusher of the Prowler. Watcher of the Wise.
  • View Profile
Fly cats catch cats on flys..... Say that 5 times fast. Great report Bro and congrats on the beautiful day otw with the homie
I like to have fun.......

LIVE LIFE!!!

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
great report Cameron.
The Mooch was smiling on you for sure!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
NICE!  Thanks for sharing.