Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: X-Factor Owners! Warping problem!  (Read 6737 times)

KaHuNaZ

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
X-Factor owners, my seat area is warping. Whenever I take my kayak out for a few hours or more, the seat area starts to warp and sink in. it seems like the only thing supporting the seat area is the scuppers and Im afraid they might crack. Its really uncomfortable and its getting really annoying. Anyone else ever have this problem?

tcraig1963

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I haven't noticed any warping in the seat area of mine, But a friend of mine just developed some cracks in the Stearn of his, so do a good inspection of the seat area for cracks.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
There are some cushions that Malibu came out with to counteract that, I believe.  Personally, I screwed up my X by running over the strap ends and buckling the boat, so I made repairs all around the center hatch.  Since all of that I did notice that flexing is a big factor in the wear and tear of the entire seat and center hatch area.  I think it's best to stabilize the area with some flotation wedged in between the deck and keel - worked for me.  Good luck.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

KaHuNaZ

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
where can I find these cushions?

DaBlazer

• Salmon
  • East Bay Slayerz
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
where can I find these cushions?

Hey KaHuNaz, I had some similar issues with my XF and I'm still performing repairs here and there on it. Check out this thread:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,24584.0.html

As suggested to me, you may want to support that seat area with crab floats or blocks to reduce flexing of that area. You can also contact mabliu as I did to assist you with issue. Try Greg Wetzeo. His email is greg@malibukayaks.com

Don

Shut up and FISH!
Have yak Will Travel
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.  ~Angler Unknown
Malibu X-Factor

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
i called just trying to get some plastic to weld and they ended up getting me a brand new kayak PLUS gave me the option to keep my old one and sent me a repair kit.

there was an early batch that had this problem but they corrected the newer models , more reienforcement around the scuppers and a solid platform.
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

DaBlazer

• Salmon
  • East Bay Slayerz
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
i called just trying to get some plastic to weld and they ended up getting me a brand new kayak PLUS gave me the option to keep my old one and sent me a repair kit.

there was an early batch that had this problem but they corrected the newer models , more reienforcement around the scuppers and a solid platform.
Yo BnB, did you buy your old X-Factor new from Malibu, experience problems later, then received a new one from them?? I love my X-factor for its stability. I bought it used off of craigslist. It was a cream puff deal due to the fact that I got many, many extras with yak however, it was still a blem. I'd love to get a new one to replace it and stop repairing cracks here and there.

Don
Shut up and FISH!
Have yak Will Travel
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.  ~Angler Unknown
Malibu X-Factor

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
i bought it new from outback adventures , i had a reciept n all that. give them a call they might work some type of deal out...maybe sell you one at a discount or something..
www.mossdalemilitia.com
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

KaHuNaZ

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
i bought it new from outback adventures , i had a reciept n all that. give them a call they might work some type of deal out...maybe sell you one at a discount or something..
I bought mine new from outback as well, but I cant seem to find my receipt. I dont have any cracks yet, and hopefully the foam block kit will prevent them. a stronger platform sounds nice though. When I stand up on my x-factor, I can feel the deck flexing in that area, so I dont like to stand up.

KaHuNaZ

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Took some pics of the seat area after an outing yesterday.

+another pic after a previous outing.

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
the crab floats fixed that problem for me , call them up and they might just ask for your seriel number
www.mossdalemilitia.com

KaHuNaZ

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
man, its been 42 days since they were supposed to have sent out that foam block kit. I asked about the tracking info on the 2nd of this month and got a reply the next day saying that he would look into it, but no reply yet.  Ive been dealing with a guy named Luis, but I feel like im getting the run-around. Sitting on the seat with those skuppers bulging up hurts and on my last outing, I had to put my life jacket under the seat just so I could tolerate it. Im sure the crab floats might help, but I dont feel like spending extra money just to get the kayak to perform how it was supposed to already. One of the deciding factors to purchase my kayak was that I had been told that Malibu kayaks had the best support and warranty in the industry. They have taken care of me previously when I had an issue with the handles tearing off, but this particular issue has left me with a bad taste. I sent them another email tonight and Ill see how this plays out.

KaHuNaZ

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I received the foam block kit in yesterday. Luis threw in a couple of hats in for the delay.

Ill try to take a couple more pics of the install later.