Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is this Kripple Anchovie spinning too fast?  (Read 1801 times)

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Every since I started using an outboard motor on my AI I haven't hooked a salmon in the last four trips. I'm wondering whether my trolling speed or the spin on my KA is too fast. When my outboard is running at the lowest speed, my kayak travels at between 2.2 to 3 mph. I have an underwater view of the KA. Do you guys think the KA is spinning too fast or my travel speed is too fast? It would be great to hook at least one more salmon before the season is over. Thanks in advance.

ernest

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
It does seem kinda fast,  and the action is weird I think.  It seems to be creating a big loop rather than a tight loop and side to side.

I am by no means an expert though.  I have only seen KA's on a retrieve, never in a trolling situation.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Cool cam...I've been looking at certain rolls and come to the conclusion that different rolls entice one day and not the next.  Other than that, my opinion says it does not look like a wounded baitfish...fwiw... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I have watched cut plug strikes and that seams way to wide of a spin, don’t cringe but try a few trolls under man power a little slower on camera and try comparing, also try an imitation cut plug.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Lucky13, welcome to the motor club.  :smt003
You will get different answers from different people. Because some people like to slow troll and some like to fast troll.

Personally, I'd bump up .5mph see if that makes a different.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Looks like the roll should be tighter. Is it possible your outboard motor is creating vibrations/noise that might be spooking the fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I'm with Chet, trolling fast is a good thing.  You can cover more ground moving faster.  Despite how "too fast" I sometimes think I'm trolling, the party boats and commercials always seem to be going faster.  At the bare minimum you want to be 2.5mph.  I like to average above 3mph.  I also find it annoying that when I'm trolling slower or at the same speed as the private boats I get overtaken and cut off a lot, but moving faster than them prevents that. 

Do you have any video of the krippled anchovy rolling on the surface? That's the only I can tell if it's proper or not. 

Do you use a downrigger or deep six?  The only other thing I can think of is to play with your setbacks.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
having watched some film on other youtube video's it looks more like circles than rolls.  A role, to me should be a sideways roll over, that doesn't look like it is rolling.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You guys are great. Thanks for all the sugguestions. Seems most people think the spin is too wide. I will try to work on that.

I'm with Chet, trolling fast is a good thing.  You can cover more ground moving faster.  Despite how "too fast" I sometimes think I'm trolling, the party boats and commercials always seem to be going faster.  At the bare minimum you want to be 2.5mph.  I like to average above 3mph.  I also find it annoying that when I'm trolling slower or at the same speed as the private boats I get overtaken and cut off a lot, but moving faster than them prevents that. 
I tried to troll toward your red TI last Saturday to say hello, but no matter what I do I never seem to be able to catch up. Because of that, I don't think I was trolling too fast since you were able to hook fish and I couldn't. ;)

Do you have any video of the krippled anchovy rolling on the surface? That's the only I can tell if it's proper or not. 
I didn't think of that. Next time I will take a video from the top side to match the bottom view.

Do you use a downrigger or deep six?  The only other thing I can think of is to play with your setbacks.
I used a DR with a 4lb torpeedo shape weight. 30ft down and 30 pulls behind the lead. How much setback do you use?

Looks like the roll should be tighter. Is it possible your outboard motor is creating vibrations/noise that might be spooking the fish?
Well, my bait is 30ft deep and 30 pulls behind the lead. I don't think there should be a noise issue. I imagine my setup is not that much different from other PB. But perhaps I should use a longer setback.

Jerry

• Too Cool.....
  • Salmon
  • <......Too Cool....
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
It looks to me that your swivel is mess up.  It should be spinning with the KA not spin-stop-spin-stop.   Simple fix indeed....
Yak Attack 2014

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Maybe it's that loud swivel. Haha! Never heard a swivel under water before. As far as spooking them. Party boats hook em running literally under the boat from some of the positions they work from. Different speeds can work for different presentations, and sometimes you have to fiddle with your particular bait to get the optimal performance. ie different baits/lures work at different speeds. The slower you go the more action you need on your bait/lure. So with that there is no perfect speed for all rigs. Also when you factor in amount of tide and direction of travel with against or across the tide also affects your "ground speed" which is all your gps can read. It really boils down to the right amount of "resistance" your create that affects your presentation. Obviously in a non moving body of water (lakes) you can troll any direction and have consistent resistance on your rig. Only thing is wind influence on your actual speed. Pay attention to your line angle entering the water. That is a better indicator of what's going on down there. So with that, it's a trial and error experiment till you get confident in a presentation. Don't be afraid to experiment. Most folks start experimenting when what they are doing isn't working, but if you REALLY want to learn new things. Have the balls to stop doing what's working when it's working and try something different. Most are afraid of missing out on a bite and only try the "other" thing when their old reliable isn't working. Not really a fair trial if you only change when "what usually works" isn't. Maybe they are just off the bite, or your off the fish or bait. I have to say I have learned more over the years doing just that, or truly writing off a day to try something new no matter what else is going on. I've made many discoveries over the years like that... That can be very rewarding, and for me the most fun...so go have fun... :smt003

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I run long setbacks (50-60 feet) when I'm fishing shallow.  I generally follow the 100 foot rule.  40 feet down, 60 feet back.  I gotta watch the rods very carefully with that much setback as there is a lot of flex in the line. 

I've been told by veteran power boaters that I don't need to run that long of setbacks in this water.  Regardless, I caught a lot of fish shallow this year running long setbacks.

30 feet down on only a 4lb weight may equate to only 25 feet down due to blowback.  Unless of course you see the DR weight on your depth finder and can confirm its depth. 

Experimenting in October is hard to do because the fishing really starts to slow down.  I wouldn't make any conclusions on what was working/not working till next year.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the advices guys. I also follow the thinking that the shallower you fish, the longer the setback. I've been using 25' behind the lead at 30' deep. However, when I watch underwater videos on YouTube, they're using setback of less than 10' behind the lead and the camera, and they are hooking fish. So, I guess I'll just have to experiment.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
There is no “right” trolling speed, but there IS a “right” bait (or bend) for each trolling speed. One of the coolest things about the Krippled Anchovy is that you can fine-tune the bend in the bait to match your speed. You want a nice tight corkscrew action, not a wide flailing “helicopter” action where the tail of the bait is swinging wider than the nose. The cable baiters they use on party boats are similar - each captain has a preferred trolling speed, and they rig their baits with a bend to match it.

For what it’s worth, I usually troll at about 2.0-2.5. ALWAYS drag your bait beside the boat at trolling speed for a second to check the roll before you lower it. It’ll take a bit of trial and error at first, but before too long you’ll be nailing it every time and mangling less of your expensive tray bait...

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I wouldn’t worry about spooking salmon with too little setback. I’ve trolled right by salmon sitting just a couple feet under the water and watched as they lazily cruised along, un-phased by my presence. (I, on the other hand, was losing my sh*t trying to put a bait in front of their faces).