Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How do you catch anchovies?  (Read 5888 times)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I often find myself above a mass of anchovies that have no interest in my sabiki. Sometimes you can easily load up on every drop, but more often they are finicky. Are they line-shy? What size and style of sabiki do you find works best? Do you get better results without cutting the sabiki down to 2 or 3 hooks?

It seems like I have the best luck with a dead-stick presentation, but sometimes bouncing or jigging works.

It also seems like maybe the anchovies are more willing to bite when the schools are deeper in the water and a little more spread out.

As a side-note, I have had success snagging them with a treble hook snelled inline above a 2 oz weight, but this is slow, requires dense schools, and yields mangled bait.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

gelbyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
The tiniest bit of shrimp added to the hook can do wonders to alleviate some lockjaw, but admittedly, it works better on sardines. Smaller size sabikis have received better attention too. I can't imagine less hooks on the setup helps or hurts the presentation, but my days of untangling 6 flailing hooks from my gear are done. I'm over that headache. I'm interested to hear what the others will say.

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I was out there in Bolinas yesterday jigging up anchovies 5 at a time. I just make sure I buy small hook sabikis with colorful frills. My ff died too and I was jigging them up fine.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Small sibiki tipped with squid or  muscles off the rocks .
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Add shrimp and/or small hook size (size 8, maybe 6).

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

yatzmail@yahoo.com

use a 5-6' diameter cast net above the bait ball for a galore of chovies for the picking  :smt003

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I rub a tiny bit of gel scent like procure/smelly jelly onto the sabiki. Good thing is that you can leave it on there for many trips and the 'chovies don't seem to mind.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Oh, lots of good tips. I have been using small sabikis, and I'll try fresh bait in the future if the 'chovies aren't biting.

I was out there in Bolinas yesterday jigging up anchovies 5 at a time. I just make sure I buy small hook sabikis with colorful frills. My ff died too and I was jigging them up fine.

Good seeing you on the water.  :smt006 I jigged up enough to feed the salmon yesterday, but there were plenty of times I had the sabiki in a big school and wasn't getting bit.

I rub a tiny bit of gel scent like procure/smelly jelly onto the sabiki.

Sounds like a great plan if fresh bait isn't handy.

use a 5-6' diameter cast net above the bait ball for a galore of chovies for the picking  :smt003

I recently acquired a 6' radius cast net that has 1/4" mesh to keep the anchovies from gilling themselves. It also has 9 lbs of lead for rapid sinking. I'm still learning to throw it while sitting on the yak, though. The actual radius is almost 7', and it's heavy!

Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Oh, lots of good tips. I have been using small sabikis, and I'll try fresh bait in the future if the 'chovies aren't biting.

I recently acquired a 6' radius cast net that has 1/4" mesh to keep the anchovies from gilling themselves. It also has 9 lbs of lead for rapid sinking. I'm still learning to throw it while sitting on the yak, though. The actual radius is almost 7', and it's heavy!

In tomales you can throw a lob sided cast and you can still pickup quite a bit.
It's easy to catch them in TB. Sometimes I get a couple of shiners too.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
If you can find one of those large landing nets with a small mesh, it can double as your salmon net and bait net (when chovies are on the surface).

Seen someone use one those b4 but I haven't been able to find them.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Sounds like you’re doing it right to me. Smallest sabiki you can find and dead stick is the key. Sometimes a gentle lift when you feel biters will help load it up.

Jigging almost never helps in my experience. Once you feel a couple on there reel up slow and steady and oftentimes it will load up more. I also will leave a pinhead on the hook to help attract others on the next drop. A full uncut sabiki  is the way to go for sure.

A lot of times you just need to find the right school that will bite. I try not to waste too much time on a scratch bite and will run and gun until I find what I’m looking for.

-Eliot

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
How many hooks can a person use to catch bait? Where is it listed in the reg book?
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
How many hooks can a person use to catch bait? Where is it listed in the reg book?

As many as you want for bait except in the sfbay where you are limited to 3 hooks max.

-Eliot

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Something interesting - when I've caught smelt in the sfbay they haven't touched the sabiki alone very readily.  When I stuck a bucktail in lieu of the sinker they nail it like crazy. 

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Be careful jigging up anchovies after you have a salmon or two on board. As silly as is sounds, you could get cited for using restricted gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk