Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:09:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 12:42:05 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Does artificial bait expire?  (Read 1280 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
When I first started fishing I was pretty clueless as to what bait and rig and subsequently bought a bunch of stuff that I’m just getting around now to using. I’ve read various things but I’m honestly not quite sure. Some of the bait is soaked in attractant. Also, all of the bait was store in a warm environment for about three months.

Is this stuff still usable? If rather just use new stuff if it’s going to cost me a fish.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Most swim baits last for a long time if store properly.  The ones soak with attractant won't last as long and they become brittle when dried out.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

• View Profile
That’s good to hear! Do the attractants “go bad” or become ineffective at all?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
There’s one way to find out.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

• View Profile
That’s good to hear! Do the attractants “go bad” or become ineffective at all?

Not sure which artificials you use but I use the Gulp brand quite a bit and although effective, they do tend to tear easily. I've reused old attractant and the fish don't seem to mind. I think as long as it doesn't go rancid, you're good. There's even some folks who have used dried up gulp sandworms to catch perch.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

• View Profile
I have two packs of Gulp sandworms, some powerbait and some senko worms that are opened. I’m gonna try and catch some shiner perch sometime this week with the Gulp sand worms and I’ll post back on how it goes.

• View Profile
Just wanted to post an update. They do work but they're not as effective. I'm sure that if you store them properly they'd be fine. I was at the Old Pier at Port View Park and was fishing for smelt with a bobber. I progressively alternated shrimp and the cut Gulp sandworm and had more bites on the shrimp. There were also a bunch of shiner perch in the area, also caught on shrimp.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Just wanted to post an update. They do work but they're not as effective. I'm sure that if you store them properly they'd be fine. I was at the Old Pier at Port View Park and was fishing for smelt with a bobber. I progressively alternated shrimp and the cut Gulp sandworm and had more bites on the shrimp. There were also a bunch of shiner perch in the area, also caught on shrimp.
You can’t compare artificial bait to shrimp? What you thinking that’s like comparing  McDonald’s to a “real” steak house ( not them damn frozen food chain steak house) don’t get me started on “Outhouse Steakback”

To truly compare you need to use the used ones on one pole next to your fishing homie using a freshly opened identical bait. I have and my 6 month old used Burkley gulp minnows caught fish just as easy as the guy in the other kayaks newly opened bag.... but my bay rockfish was WAY bigger  :smt044  he wouldn’t let me take a picture of his 9 inch copper.  :smt003

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
To prevent free regurgitated bait wash off, get an old drier lint screen
( the metal ones) cut it slightly bigger then the scupper hole and ”gently push it in the scupper hole”     :moon

Unless your NOT a cheap azz like me then just buy some metal screen material at the hardware store and use that.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
When it comes to rockfish and lingcod they will literally hit anything so I wouldn't be considered with the baits going bad. 

SULLY

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Typically the fish will destroy ur swimbaits before u have to worry about them going bad but if u have had bad luck with the fish and the lure just won't get lost then keep using it as long as it swims good and looks good. If it starts looking kinda gross or sliding down the hook easily then replace it.

anything