Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Site teardown and buildup  (Read 5121 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Get your socializing done.  We be going down in 40 minutes.  See you in the morning!

-Allen

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
It's going to be a looooong night!  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

polepole

• Administrator
Have at it!

While I was at it, I changed the layout some.  So if you're confused and don't see your user area at the top, look to the top of the right column.

Please do let me know if you encounter any issues.

-Allen

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I like this layout :smt001
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

NicksYak

• Salmon
  • All gave some. Some gave all.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Redesign looks good, Allen. Thanks for all you do.

aka-kimo

• Salmon
  • 46 lb WSB 9/12
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I am seeing the new layout for first time ...on my smart phone. LOOKING Good!

Will check desktop look when I get home.

THANKS FOR KEEPING NCKA LOOKING GREAT. !

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
My comments on the new layout;
1. The left side showing the poster, avitar, and details is too large.  It cuts down on the size of the actual thread posts.
2. The stuff on the right side too; larger than I would prefer.
3. The borders are too large; that area outside the web page in blue.  I was hoping to just enlarge my page, but it doesn't cut that blue border.  Why have a blue border or any border at all?  Just take the page out to the edges.

Just suggestions, I would prefer to have the thread posts be a larger portion of the width of the page while viewing. 
Thanks for all the hard work you guys do.  You are amazing!!

polepole

• Administrator
My comments on the new layout;
1. The left side showing the poster, avitar, and details is too large.  It cuts down on the size of the actual thread posts.

Yeah, I know.  It's beyond my immediate control.  I don't like it either.  I prefer other forum layouts where instead of taking up a whole "column" (horizontal space), it is in line with the posts and takes up vertical space.

2. The stuff on the right side too; larger than I would prefer.

300 pixels is a pretty standard width for many websites, especially news and magazine type sites.  I think this would be less of an issue if #1 was addressed.

3. The borders are too large; that area outside the web page in blue.  I was hoping to just enlarge my page, but it doesn't cut that blue border.  Why have a blue border or any border at all?  Just take the page out to the edges.

You're right.  I did this same layout on NWKA and ended up reducing the border.  Just forgot to do that here.  Will do so now.

Just suggestions, I would prefer to have the thread posts be a larger portion of the width of the page while viewing. 
Thanks for all the hard work you guys do.  You are amazing!!

I completely agree.  I'll put #1 on the list of things to take a look at.  It would likely involve a whole new "theme" which is a little more work than I the time I have right now.

You're welcome.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator

You're right.  I did this same layout on NWKA and ended up reducing the border.  Just forgot to do that here.  Will do so now.

There.  How's that?

-Allen

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
that works!!

About the right side;
Scrolling through a thread, the information on the right side runs out about 3 or 4 posts down.  After that, as I scroll down a thread, like this one, it's just blank white, unused page. 

Also, the banner ads at the top and bottom are only as wide as the thread posting area.  This puts the need for a scroll bar on the ad.  Believe it or not, I like those ads.  They obviously use some sort of spy method to tailor the ads to previous searches I've been doing in my browser.  So far they have triggered me to buy air fare and a few other items by using the ad to click through. 

Cheers!

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Any chance we can get the AOTY button to say AOTY/DOTY 2013, a DOTY top ten and recent catches bar thingy and an up to date "MLPA" account and donation button?

Just ideas...

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

polepole

• Administrator
Also, the banner ads at the top and bottom are only as wide as the thread posting area.  This puts the need for a scroll bar on the ad.  Believe it or not, I like those ads.  They obviously use some sort of spy method to tailor the ads to previous searches I've been doing in my browser.  So far they have triggered me to buy air fare and a few other items by using the ad to click through. 

Yeah, that's because I have them aligned to that area.  You must be running a lower resolution display.  I can move them up/down to cover the entire horizontal width, but obviously that comes at the expense of pushing down the right column (and the user area).

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Wow, I guess moving the avatar area wasn't that hard to do after all.

May need to do something to delineate the posts a little more as they appear to run together.  Give me a bit to work on that.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Wow, I guess moving the avatar area wasn't that hard to do after all.

May need to do something to delineate the posts a little more as they appear to run together.  Give me a bit to work on that.

-Allen

OK.  I put a space between the posts to make it clearer where one ends and the other begins.

Feedback please!  How does this post layout work for you all?

-Allen