Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:01:35 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ROOTS KC Derby Results and PIX!!!  (Read 5116 times)

Bear

• Salmon
  • Fishing 'till my fingers bleed, then fishing again
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Congrats again gents!

Had a lot of fun, as always when dealing with NCKA.  Unbelievable day on the water, I have never seen SC that calm out there for so long.  Low wind, and low drift, water like glass.   Only odd thing was the water was suuuuuuuper dirty!  never seen brown water like that out there before.
Cant answer the phone right now, I'm fishing

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Lil River Man.....C'mon you have a story to tell also.....don't be shy!!!

OK, I've been a bad bad boy. Took my cousin out for his first turn at Kayak Fishing. Sadly he only managed one 6" dink.  I caught 6-8 fish. Kept a nice black and a fat Verm and a Ling. The Ling looked kinda close and I left the yard stick I use on the Revo back at the car. Called my cousin over in LRM #2 (the Marauder). Put the Ling on the Marauder and when the Ling stopped flopping measiured it against markings I had placed on the center hatch. I looked over and it cleared 22" by about 1/2" we both agreed good fish. Left it on his yak so he could have some fish tacos.
The DFG came around a few hours later and the fish measured 21 3/4" - F*^&.  I laid claim to the fish and took the infraction. No slack on the 1/4" and they said, fish don't shrink, when I offered that explanation. They wouldn't say how much the fine might be. Online it said $100 with up to 200%+ add ons from various agencies etc. Just the other night I saw a story on red light fines. a $100 fine ends up being $$549 after everybody adds on their bit. I hope this isn't the case with  my infraction. I've been a bad bad boy. I did the crime, and don't mind paying the fine, but the possibility of taxation without representation really irks me.

OK, Bushy, everybody I didn't tell at the event now knows  :smt003

Other than that had a great time. Beautifull day OTW.  Old friends and lots of new faces joining the fun.
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Can't beat those conditions, congrats to the winner circle! Great job Allen. Have to catch it next year.

LRM: please report back what the fees are attached to fine, I hear they can be excessive, just curious?
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Also, I've heard that it helps to actually GO to court and talk directly to a judge.....

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Congrats Mikee. I see the tips I gave you at Sly Park paid off.   :smt044 :smt044 J/K
Wish I could have made this one. Forty Eight?!?! WOW! the very first one there were only 17 of us. That was pre-NCKA but was the gateway into the club for me.
LRM~ Catch a ling. Whack it. Leave it on a Hawg trough, in the sun, with a time lapse camera and see if you can't get it to shrivel a quarter of an inch.
Those DFG guys don't always get it right.  :smt002
<=>

bones

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Thanks to Bushy, Dave, and Jessica for putting together a fun event. It was a great day OTW and I was stoked for My Bro in law MikEE for winning a new kayak. Great time seeing friends and meeting new ones. I finally felt the infamous Big Jim hand shake. :smt044

I was able to get my limit of rocks with a 2 big verms and 2 big blues and the rest were on the smaller side. I was also able to bring up a 26" ling.
Forgot to take pictures even though I had my GoPro strapped to my noggin so I took this picture on my phone after cleaning up.

2015 Hobie Revo 13

gatorgrigs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Hey guys, thanks for coming out this Sunday for our "Return to Our Roots" derby.  It was a ton of fun meeting you all, I look forward to hitting the water with some of you soon.  We also raised $1400 for the Monterey Bay Salmon & Trout Project, so we can all feel good about a job well done.  We'll certainly be doing it again next year!
-Dave
Owner - Kayak Connection
Santa Cruz - Moss Landing

Mikee

• SAC CREW
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Hey yes the tips worked! But only on Jenkinson where I did catch some lil smallies with a thrown broke back rapala. Right where you told me to go.
Hey I hear from BONES you have a paddle for sale???  I need one for my new Old Town.
2013 Kayak Connection "Return to the Roots" 1st. Place

bones

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Hey I hear from BONES you have a paddle for sale???  I need one for my new Old Town.
[/quote]

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=48719.0
2015 Hobie Revo 13

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats to the winners.  Thanks for the reports and pictures guys.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
It was cool to meet you guys. Congrats again Mike! And another Thanks to Dave and Kayak Connection. That was fun. Looking forward to visiting the shop more often too. KC has a real diverse selection of kayaks & gear. And I kinda want to checkout that Caribbean a little closer!

I finally downloaded pics & video. I wish I took more because it was a beautiful day OTW.
Here's the first fish on my new Ultra 4.7

Say Cheeeeez!

Thought it was good luck til I caught this LOL

I also caught this weird thing...no idea WTF it is. But it was safely released...aka Jim wouldn't eat it!

The octopi weren't so lucky though. Two unlucky octopussies held onto my bait as I reeled it in...so they went directly from the sea to Jim's stomach! Dude you're my hero.

And octopus number 2
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

raydon

• Sea Lion
  • Fishy in the sea, won't you bite my hook for me?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Thanks Bushy, Dave and Jessica for hosting NCKA  and allowing us to contribute to such a good cause.  I fished pretty hard in the morning, trolling for salmon and  halibut.  Nothing for me.  I finally located secret reef # 4 and caught some dinks.  I met some new people and saw some buddies I haven't seen in a while. It's always good to see Nathan and hear about his steps toward a NCAA scholarship in gymnastics.    The event for me was made by the triple helping of bake beans and cornbread.  I had no one riding home with me so no worries. :smt002

LoveDrums

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Thanks for this great event.  1 ling and 7 rockies, beautiful weather, plus being out there with a bunch of other kayaks - what could be better!

- Ray

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I am SOO glad I had dinner before watching those 2 vids.
Amazingly enough after watching Jim devour those critters I even kept my dinner down.
<=>

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Hahahaha! I needed a chaser just watching him eat those octos!  :smt005
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything