Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:58:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: newbie on the Delta  (Read 2201 times)

Fish N Disc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Where did you launch from?

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Pleasure point marina. $8 launch
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Do you mean Paradise point marina? What was the tide like when you were fishing?

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yes and the tide was going out from 4 feet to 0.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Where did you launch from?

Did you get out there on Sunday.  Hopefully you did better than I.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Do you mean Paradise point marina? What was the tide like when you were fishing?

Yes Paradise Point, but since it was my first time on the delta, I only paddled a mile or so outside of the Marina.  (past the sunken sailboat but not much farther).  My next trip I will most likely launch from the same spot ($8 is cheap auto insurance as opposed to finding a random place along the dikes to park)., but I will paddle out farther away from the marina before starting to fish.

I used senkos, swimbaits, frogs, and crankbaits.  As I was leaving , two other yaks came in and they totaled 3 bass between the two of them.  Not making excuses (low pressure, full moon, because I don't quite understand how they all play and there were plenty of bass boats moving up and down the channels.  Just going to have to keep working at it and meanwhile enjoy the time on the water.

From Roseville, the Marina is only a one hour drive.  Not bad since Rollins is about 40 minutes away.  Always good to have options.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Fish N Disc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I wasn't going to go out by myself on a weekend.  Too may crasy boaters.  Hopefully sometime this week.  Most likely from Wimpy's or Arrowhead

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Awesome!  Both look good and hopefully you have a great time.  Even though I was out alone on a weekend, the area was not too crazy.  Where I was, with all of the islands in the middle, it definitely kept the recreational boats off and only the bass boats racing by.  Alot better than the traffic that Folsom and Rollins get on a weekend.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

pindo124

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Newbie question....Is it recommended to have an anchor while fishing in the delta or just cast and drift with a slow retrieve?

I've fished the Delta from a kayak for over 20 years, and I'd never go out without my anchor set up. I use ~5' of 3/8" diameter chain tied to 50' of line. I rigged a 'trolley' set up, which is 2 pieces of line, each attached to a large carabiner on each side of the boat & fed thru the metal deck loops at each end. This set up allows me to have the anchor point pretty much anywhere on the boat by pulling the trolley line up or down.

With the drag chain, if I want to move, I set the anchor point at the middle of the kayak & let the current or wind push me along, but more slowly than I would move without it. If I don't want to move, or move very slowly, I pull the anchor point around to either bow or stern. You can also adjust the rate of movement by varying the length of anchor line you have out (all 50' means the least amount of movement).

The key to me is safety. If you fish the Delta a lot, you will most likely get into a tough situation - stronger wind or tides than you expected, strong current pouring over a dropoff, you're paddling back to the launch & want to take a rest break, etc. - in which you want to be stationary.

Hope this helps.
Bill

Reel Drag

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Paradise point is a great place to start. I caught my PB largemouth (not from a kayak) on the north rockwall during the incoming tide. Water was still low. Low tide I fish the rockwall with weightless senko (usually watermelon red flake). Mid tide, warm weather, I’ll use topwaters. High tide I’ll pitch right up against the tules. I’ve caught more along the levee than the island.
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Viking Kayak Profish Reload.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017

Fish N Disc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Went down to the Delta this morning. Was going to launch at Arrowhead Marina but the wind was Gusty there. Went down to Wimpy's and launched at about 7:30. Paddled and fished over toGiusti's Place and back. Got back to the marina at 12:30.

Caught 5 Largemouth total. 2 dinks, a 12, 14, & 18"

Reel Drag

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Nice Haul. I was in the Cosumnes Reserve. Caught nothing but dinks.
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Viking Kayak Profish Reload.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

anything