Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:10:47 PM]

[Today at 02:24:53 PM]

[Today at 02:05:51 PM]

[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

[Today at 01:14:39 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Newbie in Cen. Cal.  (Read 2735 times)

Coach P

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Hi Everyone!!!  Just wanted to say hello from Clovis.  After two years of dreaming about having a SOT kayak and fishing from it, I finally found the deal I was looking for.  Just purchased a Malibu X-Factor with the gator hatch.  I have to wait a week to take it out for it's maiden voyage and it's killing me!!!  I am really looking forward to meeting a lot of you and learning as much as I can over the summer.  I plan to basically fish for trout in the Sierras, but trips to the coast won't be too far in the future.  I've been to Shell Beach on kayaks and explored the caves and kelp beds, but no fishing.  If anyone is going to be paddling at Shaver Lake or Pine Flat this summer and wants a newbie tagging along, I would love to join you!!!

Mike

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Welcome aboard, Mike.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Hello Mike :smt006 welcome to the most addictive site on the web...now u get to start all the "pimping" :smt001 :smt003

I'm supposed to do a fam reunion 17-18th in jul @ my bros in Oakhurst...he's talking bout a very high alt lake... I'll have to get the name of it...been yrs since I've been that way...turned him on to fly fishing and he became a guide...ummm have to hook a brother up on yaking... :smt003 Once he goes "yak" he aint ever goin back (PB) :smt003 :smt003

Once again welcome!!! :smt004
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Coach P

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks for the welcome guys!!  I know Bass Lake very well, but it's not very high altitude...it's just above Oakhurst.  I'm going to be coaching football that weekend in Arroyo Grande on the central coast so I might be taking the kayak with me to do some big blue kayaking.  I'm still trying to work out the transportation issues with the kayak.  I bought a receive hitch rack for my truck and now I've got to mount the front of the yak on the roof.  I bought the foam blocks at REI, but I'd like something more permanent, like a yakima or thule rack.  It's a long trip and I don't want to take any chances....

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
most of my packing has been on top of my lance...I'd strap it down good on some foam blocks...took it up to WA last yr...worked great...

Once u hit the Big Blue...everything else just as a diff flavor... :smt003 AuburnTroutfisherman felt the pull.......It's So much more...I hung around the kelp patties my first few times than started going way out...and you can't believe your confidence level just after a few times...

Not Bass lake, Way up...sounded like 10k one of his guide Buddy's hooked him up on the Intel...

I've read just recently that the Thule "Rocks"

Will definitely see you OTW @ one of the gigs...be safe...and if u been reading u know what i mean...noodles exct.... :smt004
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Coach P,

Welcome to the madness,

I will defiantly be hitting your local waters as they are also my home waters.
Even though you are on a Malibu I won't hold it against you  :smt044
PM me when you are heading out and I will be glad to meet up with you.

Eric
Hobie Outback (dune)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Hi Everyone!!!  Just wanted to say hello from Clovis.  After two years of dreaming about having a SOT kayak and fishing from it, I finally found the deal I was looking for.  Just purchased a Malibu X-Factor with the gator hatch.  I have to wait a week to take it out for it's maiden voyage and it's killing me!!!  I am really looking forward to meeting a lot of you and learning as much as I can over the summer.  I plan to basically fish for trout in the Sierras, but trips to the coast won't be too far in the future.  I've been to Shell Beach on kayaks and explored the caves and kelp beds, but no fishing.  If anyone is going to be paddling at Shaver Lake or Pine Flat this summer and wants a newbie tagging along, I would love to join you!!!

Mike

Welcome   :smt006
I work in Fresno, live in Hanford :)  Glad to see some Cen Cal people on the board  :smt003

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Welcome to the board Mike my new NCKA brother. I hope to see you on the water
soon.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

I LIKEY FISH

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Welcome to the Madness Mike im also a newb n they ain't lying when they say its addicting haha lol Jai Boi

Keo
Wait For It Wait For It BAM!!!!

Coach P

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks, everyone!!  I am just counting the minutes until I can take the kayak out.  Will be heading to Shaver Lake next Friday. 

Eric...I almost bought an O.K. from you.  I think you are the guy I talked to at Fishermans Warehouse, right?  I just fell in love with the X-Factor and the Gator seat was a huge selling point, especially with a twelve year old daughter and four year old twin daughters.  I hope I made the right decision.  I did a lot of research.  If not, I guess I'll have to expand the collection and get an O.K. from you!!! :smt003

See all of you on the water soon I hope!!!

James Hachiya

• Sardine
  • View Profile
I want to learn how to ocean fish in a kayak. 
45 years ocean fishing.  Mostly s/Cal party boats.
I live in Turlock, willing to go to Halfmoon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterrey.

Jim H