Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: sturgeon anchoring  (Read 5513 times)

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
With all the rains blowing out the rivers, it's making me crazy not going after something, so I'm thinking of sturgeon out of China Camp. My question is, can my river anchor do the job? I've gone after sturgeon in a pb plenty, and am aware of the flows. In the yak, I'm not planning on fishing very deep, 10/15 feet at the most, and staying out of the raging flows. Will a 10 or 15 lb pyramid do the job? I don't see why not. The tides after this weekend look good!
I appreciate any input.
Fish-on!
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It's more than you need I use a 6 pounder my self with a 3 pound ball
zip tied to the top of the anchor this will hold in the fastest of tides  :smt002

hay man I am off all week till monday after next make shure you post when you go
because I can go  :smt007
3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I am by no means an authority on the subject - I haven't even pimped for an anchor yet - but I think the most important element is having the ability to quick release should you need to ditch your anchor, whether it's for safety reasons or should you be lucky enough to enjoy a sleigh ride.

We'll see how much I've learned based upon what the experts chime in with. :smt004

Michael

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hey Juan, I think 15 lbs is enough for your hobie, but I think you really need the quick release...
I made mine in like 30 mins at the boat ramp parking lot....  It cost me probably 30 bucks (but 10lb mushroom weight probably cost me the most).
I lost mine on the last trip because the anchor got stuck while I was picking up the sturgeon on the yak, and the yak started taking some water, so I had to let it go.  If I would have stayed there like that in the rip current, I probably would have taken in more water in the boat because of the sturgeon's drag, so the quick release is very helpful!

Rory

Naoaki, I made some of the pyramid weights. They are about 5 to 7 pounds. Do you need one? I have about a dozen of them. Got the mold from Fishim (Mark) and made a bunch of them. If you have some lead you want to get rid of, we could trade. If not and you need one, let me know and we can call it even.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Juan~

Would it work? Yea it would. Would I advise against it? Yea I would.
I am a firm believer in a quick release anchor out there.
Number one reason is for safety. Number two reason is that if you hook that hog dino the last thing you want to be doing is fumbling around with an anchor and rope.
Just my .02
<=>

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Juan-

That's how I lost a big'un... it got tangled up in my anchor line. I was using my drift anchor set up instead of a sturgeon quick release set up. Oh well... live and learn. But, a quick release is easy to rig up. Instead of a bow line... use a stern line, a couple of carbines and a little float and whalla... your set. Your pyramid weight should hold you no problemo. Good luck out there...

Freddie

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6401.0.html

check out my setup it is kinda  $$ but it works perfect and you can
run a drift chute on it to  :smt006
3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Naoaki, I made some of the pyramid weights. They are about 5 to 7 pounds. Do you need one? I have about a dozen of them. Got the mold from Fishim (Mark) and made a bunch of them. If you have some lead you want to get rid of, we could trade. If not and you need one, let me know and we can call it even.
That would be awesome!!! :smt007
I need it especially for the river.
I have some salmon balls that I can trade...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6401.0.html

check out my setup it is kinda  $$ but it works perfect and you can
run a drift chute on it to  :smt006
& Duane, as always insanely nice! :salut:

capt.matt

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Tried my bay anchor setup for the first time today in a big tide and lots of wind. Worked like a champ and I never moved. 3 LB grappling anchor, 3 Ft of chain and 75 Ft of rope. Used Mooch's (thanks) quick release system that is cheap and easy to use. The whole setup worked great.

Matt

Rory

Naoaki, PM me so that sometime we can meet up and I can get you an anchor  :smt006

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
           Heres my Sturgeon anchor rig, its similar to Totes.
Overall view, a length of line tied to the rear pad eye. The other end passes through a quick release wedge style cleat with a fairlead(eye) on it. Everything clips together with carabiners, there are no knots except on the anchor and rear pad eye. You lift up on the line in the cleat and it slides free from the carabiner. The carabiner on the line winder lets me adjust the length of anchor line(up to 120ft) for 50ft of water.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
The simplicity of this setup is awesome! Great work to the inventor!! I'm really considering this system for the Caddyak.

Only question I have to all those who use them is how easy is it to reset? Do you need to shimmy all the way to the back of the yak to get that rope that's attached to the stern or is there a better technique?

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Hey Mark,

That's a real nice looking anchor system.  I hope you don't mind if I give you "the sincerest form of flattery" and copy that right down to the last carabiner.  I have sturgeon about 2 miles away from my house in the Willamette River and I'm tired of reading posts about all of you NorCal guys catching them this winter.

Z, I may be wrong, but I think if you paddle backwards a few strokes the end of the line will come along side enough to grab it.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I use the same set-up as Fishim but my rope is a bungee instead of static line. It will absorb impact better and has a weaker breaking strength. Carabiners are a weak link in the salt unless you spring for the big buck powder coated ones and maintain them vigorously with corossion lock. Brass is the better maritime alternative. The jam cleat is a good way to go but a cam cleat is smaller and can be reversed. It's holding power is twice as good but it cost three times as much at the sailing parts store. I've said many times before and will concur again that a bombproof quick release system is essential when anchoring a fishing kayak in any water.
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com