Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:31:56 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hello from Nevada County  (Read 453 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
Hi,

New to the forum. I've done salt and freshwater fishing in the past, foothill lakes kayaking currently.

Just got myself a 2018 Jackson Coosa FD, starting to outfit it for fresh and salt.

I haven't used a wetsuit since I lived in SoCal back in the mid 80's. From research I've done, it looks like the water temps from SF Bay up to Crescent City range from 50-60 throughout the year?

Will a full suit 2/3mm be enough get back in the kayak, or survive until the CG boat/chopper comes to get me? Should I go thicker?

Is bottoms and a full jacket OK or do I really need the full suit?

There ends stream of consciousness...

Thanks

Richard

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Richard  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome, Richard.  :smt006

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Welcome Richard to NCKA....Don't be a dick   :smt003  This will make sense if you are active on this site.

David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

• View Profile
Welcome Richard to NCKA....Don't be a dick   :smt003  This will make sense if you are active on this site.

But... that's my name...  :smt004

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Welcome, eL.

I'm partial to a dry suit (technically, a "paddling suit"). Lots of discussion of this topic here, but you might need 10 posts to see the good stuff..
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Welcome Richard  :smt006
I myself use a 3mm farmer John wetsuit. It works but I’m envious of those dry suits getting splashed around in the early mornings.
My wetsuit does the job I need and I’m happy wearing the one with the relief zipper. It easy to strip down to my waist when it gets hot.
-Jason

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome to NCKA, Richard.  "Dress for immersion" is the rule.  The water up here along the Humboldt coast was in the high 40's early this season when the winds were causing heavy upwelling.  I wear a 6 mm farmerjohn under my drysuit most of the time, but when it's warmer I sometimes wear a 3 mm fj under it.  Sometimes I'll just wear a wetsuit, but I like the combo.  The wetsuit stays dry under the drysuit, and that's nice and silky.  The drysuit gets all wet with paddling drips, fish slime and blood, and that works for me.

Find what works for you and conforms to the level of safety standards that you believe in.  One of the great things about this community is that we have a culture of safety, and we share it with one another with the knowledge that we are being judged and will very likely be regulated at some point by the powers that be (USCG...).  Many people here do not dress for immersion all the time because they think they won't go in the water - at some point this will lead to a rude awakening and possibly a tragedy.  Dedication to standards that will save your life in the worst situations is much like having airbags in your vehicle - you hope to never have them deploy just like you hope to never be treading cold water for more than a few seconds or minutes.

Other safety issues to consider for the ocean revolve around navigation and communication.  Having at least one compass and at least one GPS is the standard - redundancy is wise.  Having one VHF, more and more, is seen as minimally prepared.  Redundancy in VHF's is possibly the biggest issue separating hobbyists from hardcore enthusiasts or pros. 

Best of luck.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hey Richard, welcome  :smt006
-Jason

• View Profile
Hello.
Former Nevada County resident and NU grad here. Now living in the Sacramento area
2019 Ascend 12T

anything