Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:41:47 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Napa River - Kennedy Park Ramp Temporary Closure  (Read 2257 times)

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
With striper season right around the corner, I just wanted to post that the Kennedy Park Boat Launch on the Napa River will be closed until October 15th. The city is making improvements to the dock and dredging the launch, the latter being desperately needed. If you have wheels or a buddy, there's a beach launch just south of the launch parking lot (the very first access point along the paved path under the oak trees). The timing of the closure stinks but it'll be nice to be able to use the ramp at low tide again soon.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Do you know anything more about the dredging? Is it only the ramp area?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Been there l@ low tide , it looks like a tar pit. Bout time....
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Great I am looking forward to returning to the Napa. See ya soon!

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It's a municipal project, rather than an ACOE project, so the dredging will be limited to the launch ramp area only - basically just a path from the ramp to the main channel. City personnel cleared an area nearby to dispose of the dredgings. Judging by that space, it doesn't look like too big of a project.

As SlackedTide said, this is long overdue. I was there at 0.0 tide yesterday and there was about 100 feet of thigh deep sludge between the ramp and the water's edge.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
It's a municipal project, rather than an ACOE project, so the dredging will be limited to the launch ramp area only - basically just a path from the ramp to the main channel. City personnel cleared an area nearby to dispose of the dredgings. Judging by that space, it doesn't look like too big of a project.

As SlackedTide said, this is long overdue. I was there at 0.0 tide yesterday and there was about 100 feet of thigh deep sludge between the ramp and the water's edge.

I heard rumors there was a project to dredge the river. Just the marina shouldn't have a big impact on water quality.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I heard rumors there was a project to dredge the river. Just the marina shouldn't have a big impact on water quality.
Did a little checking into this - I guess that I hadn't read deep enough earlier. While the City will be paying for the dredging of both the ramp area and the River Park Marina area, it will be just a small part of the greater project to dredge the entire 13 mile stretch from Third Street in Napa to the Highway 37 bridge in Vallejo. The ACOE expects to remove 300K+ cubic yards of material from the river this fall. Work is scheduled to begin around Labor Day and will operate 24 hours a day through mid October but must conclude by November 30. It looks like the majority of the work will be above the 29/121 bridge and will mostly be spot dredging in areas where shoals have formed. Not good news for the striper and salmon run this fall.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:53:30 PM by chattich »

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
No that isn't sounding to good. :smt009

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Low tide

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The new anticipated reopen date is November 11.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Still closed. :smt012 Date has been scratched out on the sign and 11/18 his been written in its place. Looks like city replaced the old dock with a new one though.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
On Thursday, I threw in some roe and eel from the bank behind the softball fields out there at Kennedy (fyi they cleaned out the homeless encampments but they are back already) and they were dredging right at Napa pipe coming north. I picked up and went a bit north, but still had no luck.

Striper bite has been really good recently based on intel from Sweeney's Sports and other anglers. A few sturgeons caught too.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
On Thursday, I threw in some roe and eel from the bank behind the softball fields out there at Kennedy (fyi they cleaned out the homeless encampments but they are back already) and they were dredging right at Napa pipe coming north. I picked up and went a bit north, but still had no luck.

Striper bite has been really good recently based on intel from Sweeney's Sports and other anglers. A few sturgeons caught too.
They only have until the 30th to have everything wrapped up and off of the river due to federal fisheries regulations. So, they can only push the date back so far. Yeah, the homeless sweeps never last very long. I could see quite a few encampments in the thick coyote brush from the college all the way north to the movie theater.

I went out in the nasty weather on Halloween weekend for a quick session. Launched at Riverside and cpuldnt even make it to Kennedy due to the ripping South wind. Lost a really nice striper at the boat in the downtown area. Otherwise, a few dinks. Salmon were jumping everywhere though which was nice to see. Fingers crossed that they get the launch opened up again asap.

anything