Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Anyone Using a Humminbird Helix 5?  (Read 1761 times)

Tinker

I'm shopping for a new fish finder and I'm not liking the mounting system for the new HOOK2 5-inch model.  Does anyone use Humminbird finders?  What are the pros and cons?

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I use one,but it's an older model.the 579 ci di hd.the only con that I've found for it is that the aftermarket mounts are not as plentiful as the lowrance.and if your using a hobie,you have to get the humminbird kit
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I have the Humminbird 410210-1 HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2. It is the only fish finder I have ever owned or used, so I can't compare it to anything else, but I'm happy with it, no problems so far. I Have a T13, if I remember correctly you have one as well. I made a scupper mount out of PVC and zip ties, but Humminbird also makes a transducer that fits the T13 for about a hundred bucks. I like the split screen depth finder/navigation - that is probably the view I use the most.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I bought a HUM410220-1 Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp Di Gps G2 Combo a few months ago. Like FeoPronk this is my first fish finder but I'm happy with it for the following reasons:

Very easy to mark waypoints for crab pots.

It is just the right size big enough to see but small enough to stay out of the way. The screen is very clear even in sun.

It has very detailed base map so I did not have to purchase a map. I did have to update the software to get the detailed base map. It took awhile to download but it was pretty simple.

I bought a RAM Mount Surface Mount f/Humminbird Helix 5 to mount it. Works great and I situated the mount such that I can fold it down for transport and don't have to take it out even when I load it on my roof rack.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I bought a RAM Mount Surface Mount f/Humminbird Helix 5 to mount it. Works great and I situated the mount such that I can fold it down for transport and don't have to take it out even when I load it on my roof rack.

Yes, I got the RAM mount and do the same thing. Works great.

Tinker

I bought a HUM410220-1 Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp Di Gps G2 Combo a few months ago....

Thank you!  That's the model I'm most interested-in.  I'd like to know more about the mount you chose because I'd like to be able to fold the head until down for storage and transport.  What can you tell me?

I have the Humminbird 410210-1 HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2. It is the only fish finder I have ever owned or used, so I can't compare it to anything else, but I'm happy with it, no problems so far...

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

I appreciate that.  Do you use the chart-plotting feature (Autochart Live)?  For some of the places I fish, that's a huge advantage over the kayak-sized Lowrance finders, and I've been wondering how well it works.

Have you had the Humminbird for very long?

The catalog photos showing how the cables attach make it look like water can get in far enough to contact the terminals.  Is that just bad photography or is it something to be concerned about?

I use one,but it's an older model.the 579 ci di hd.the only con that I've found for it is that the aftermarket mounts are not as plentiful as the lowrance.and if your using a hobie,you have to get the humminbird kit

That's not a problem for me because I no longer have a Hobie, but that might be important for others to know.  Thank you.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

If you do get one, make sure you tape the SD slot cover.  It is only waterproof if the slot cover is in place (and it certainly can pop out under stress).  Also, don't forget to install fuse.  Taping the slot cover and installing fuse can go a long way for longevity in case you flip.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thank you!  That's the model I'm most interested-in.  I'd like to know more about the mount you chose because I'd like to be able to fold the head until down for storage and transport.  What can you tell me?

Here is a link to the mount on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Surface-Humminbird-Helix/dp/B00TJ5JQI4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516036630&sr=1-1&keywords=RAM+Mount+Surface+Mount+f%2FHumminbird+Helix+5

Since it has a ball joint at the top and bottom you can flatten it out and lock it in place for transport. If its not clear what I mean I can send a picture in a couple of days. (I'm traveling)

Tinker

If you do get one, make sure you tape the SD slot cover.  It is only waterproof if the slot cover is in place (and it certainly can pop out under stress).  Also, don't forget to install fuse.  Taping the slot cover and installing fuse can go a long way for longevity in case you flip.

I do not flip, sir!  I roll.   :smt003  Thanks for this information.

Here is a link to the mount on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Surface-Humminbird-Helix/dp/B00TJ5JQI4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516036630&sr=1-1&keywords=RAM+Mount+Surface+Mount+f%2FHumminbird+Helix+5

Since it has a ball joint at the top and bottom you can flatten it out and lock it in place for transport. If its not clear what I mean I can send a picture in a couple of days. (I'm traveling)

That's the same mount I use for a Lowrance HOOK 5, but I don't lay mine flat (could if I'd have put it in a different location).  No need for photos, but I appreciate the offer.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:41:39 AM by Tinker »

Jonasoi510

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I'm shopping for a new fish finder and I'm not liking the mounting system for the new HOOK2 5-inch model.  Does anyone use Humminbird finders?  What are the pros and cons?
got the helix 5 DI . I haven’t the mount for it that goes into the Scotty rod holder mount.   Put the Scotty rod holder inside the cup holder of my outback then added pvc pipe to extend out win two 45s to have  rotation as well as being able to have it face down a flush to kayak if I want to peddle and have the fishfinder face down and out of the way.  I haven’t had any trouble with it  here’s a pic of it not to clear but hope it helps. Dialectic grease to the connections both the ff and the cable to keep em from
Getting rusted.
May not always catch a big fish off the kayak. But will always catch an adventure.

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
What kind of battery do people use for their Helix 5?

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I think any 12V SLA would be fine. I got this one from Amazon for less than $20

12V 7AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery for Piranha MAX 160 Fish Finder

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I appreciate that.  Do you use the chart-plotting feature (Autochart Live)?  For some of the places I fish, that's a huge advantage over the kayak-sized Lowrance finders, and I've been wondering how well it works.

Have you had the Humminbird for very long?

The catalog photos showing how the cables attach make it look like water can get in far enough to contact the terminals.  Is that just bad photography or is it something to be concerned about?

I haven't looked into the Autochart Live feature. With groundfish season closed, digging into the advanced features of the unit is on my to do list. I've had the unit for 5 months. I fill the plugs with dielectric grease - so far so good, no corrosion that I can see.

Jonasoi510

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
What kind of battery do people use for their Helix 5?
using a 6 volt  better and it last me two full days of fishing 5-8 hours a day
May not always catch a big fish off the kayak. But will always catch an adventure.

Tinker

I think you mean a 6amp battery since the finders need 12 volts.

I've had a couple of Lowrance finders, and I've used LiPO, lithium ion, and SLA batteries.  In the end I stayed with SLA batteries.

I have two, a 7amp and a 10amp.  The 7amp ran a HOOK 5 with everything on and the brightness on high for 8 and a half hours.  The 10amp ran it for 14 hours.  Either was good for a full day.

anything