Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Chesapeake Light Craft Sea Island Sport  (Read 8344 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Anyone have any experience with this boat?

http://www.clcboats.com/boats/seaislandsport.php

I'm looking for a winter project and this looks appealing.  CLS is going to be at the West Coast Sea Kayaking Symposium (Port Townsend, WA) this weekend, as will I, and hopefully they'll have one I can demo.

-Allen

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile

polepole

• Administrator
Craig's is a different manufacturer ... JEM Watercraft (http://jemwatercraft.com/products.php?cat=10).

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I love this quote:

The plastic sit-on-top designs are an accepted part of the scenery, functional but about as aesthetically pleasing as a dog toy.

Looks like a cool boat.  I too am looking for a winter project, but think I am going to build a surf ski from an old mold thatlives in Elk...we'll see if it works!

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
MBK is also going to have this boat demo'd on Thursday Sept 21.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

polepole

• Administrator
So I had a chance to give this boat a test at the West Coast Sea Kayak Symposium.  This boat was only announced like 3 weeks ago.  My first impression was "what beautiful lines".  My second thought was "wow, what a light boat" as I drug it to the water.  It seemed lighter than the 48 pounds they are quoting.  I talked to John Harris, the President and CEO.  He told me this boat was designed for speed.  And it showed when I paddled it.  Yes, it's a quick boat.  BUT ... it was very, very hard to turn.  In fact, it was almost like the boat was trying to stay on track when I was trying to turn it.  It was very "sticky" if you know what I mean.  There is no rudder option for the kit, but you can try to figure it out yourself and add one.  The guys on shore said I looked a bit tippy on it, but I didn't feel like that at all.  Perhaps they thought that because I was working so hard to turn the boat.  I was even trying as best I could to lean/carve a turn, but there is only so much carving you can do with a SOT and no thigh straps.  The other negative I saw was that the scupper holes were very small and few (one forward and one rear I think).  Also, this boat was hull number 2.  The leg room was cramped.  I needed another 3".  Good news though, their production model lengthened the leg room by 4".  John said they were considering a shorter model made more in the style of what we'd like to see for fishing.  I'm going to pass on the Sea Island Sport for a project and wait and see if they do a fishing yak.

I also talked to the Pygmy Boats guys (again!).  Nothing going on there.  Apparently John Lockwood (owner/designer) is off travelling in South American and communication has been spotty.  No one has any ideas what sort of designs he is working on, IF he is even working on them.  They don't even know when he'll be back.  Long story short, don't expect anything anytime soon from them as they have long design cycles (up to 2 years I was told).

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
Oh ... in addition to the MBK demo Seabreeze mentioned, they'll also have a demo day at Lake Natoma.

Sacramento, CA     Sept 20 - Wednesday     3pm - 7pm     Nimbus Flats, Lake Natoma
Monterey Bay, CA    Sept 21 - Thursday    2pm - 5pm    Monterey Bay Kayaks

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
I was looking around and came across this ... http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/SGSOT.  The drawings looked familiar.  So I went back to the CLC site.  It turns out these are the same boat, with the designer being Nick Schade of Guillemot.

-Allen

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'm way into building one of these kayaks. They're not only cool looking but sure seem to paddle well. I'm a bit on the tall side so will have to test paddle it myself. Hopefully that 4" added legroom will be enough. Will have a garage next year so that's on the list first.

PS. The interlocking wave shaped panels and cherry stain make this a really good looking ride! :sunny:

Z
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:06:31 PM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

anything