Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trump's pick to lead NOAA pushed for privatizing weather data http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/14/politics  (Read 1234 times)

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Privatizing infrastructure and services like NOAA will give us all less but we'll spend more to get it.  This is a bad idea. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Privatizing infrastructure and services like NOAA will give us all less but we'll spend more to get it.  This is a bad idea. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if your just about making money.  :smt013 :smt011 :smt011
But I'm sure privatizing will make it better. It'll be sunny all the time and the seas will be FAC every time someone wants to go fishing.  :smt044
<=>

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Yes, of course, the government is well known for its unbelievable service at an incredible price---not to mention their knack for innovation...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
There was a push to do this a few years ago, the uproar from the public and NOAA itself put it to rest. 

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012

Yes, of course, the government is well known for its unbelievable service at an incredible price---not to mention their knack for innovation...

I thank God that we don't get all the government we already are paying for.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Just think back to the days of the Soviet Union. Which would you prefer? A Soviet or American made car? Private enterprise works best when there is "real" competition. As with government services, if there is only one choice, the service can be lousy and they stay in business. If multiple companies offered the services in place of a government agency, the good ones would get the most business and the lousy ones would disappear. The best example I can think of is space launch services. Compare the job NASA is doing getting the space telescope launched with how private enterprise like Spacex is doing. For most competitive services, private enterprise will do better for less every time.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I'm cool with that.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tinker

Except Spacex is a private company only in name.  Someday... but not yet.

There are many private weather services already in competition for forecasts, but like UPS and the Interstates, they all use the publicly financed NOAA infrastructure.

The real issue for me is that this candidate will benefit from privatizing NOAA.  I'm not okay with that.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Keep your political crap to your Facebook and instagram.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Lol ... nice one Jerry!
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Edlovestofish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
That's what's up go cry on Facebook we talk fish and and trash about fish . I'm looking forward to the government sinking me sum new reef to fish the rest what ever don't steal my stuff and don't fish right on top of me the rest is for Facebook thanks Mark Z

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Lately I've been seeing the news stations using the European model for storm tracking.  Sure, they show the NOAA (or is it NWS) model predicted routes as well, but the European ones are trending to be more accurate. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/us-forecast-models-have-been-pretty-terrible-during-hurricane-irma/

http://mashable.com/2017/09/14/hurricane-irma-weather-forecast-models-gfs-vs-european/#OHwnqJsrBOqA

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:01:33 PM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

You guys are cracking me up.

Kinda feel bad because this is serious stuff but the sarcasem combined with the light pessimistic humor is really hitting the spot right now.

P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

anything