Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crappie and Bluegills???  (Read 2046 times)

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
I've been taking my daughter to Anderson Lake/Damn in Morgon Hill for some fresh water fishing. We haven't been doing that good. So far for the last couple trips she's been averaging about 3 bluegills for about two hours. Which really sucks, since I remember being her age (7yrs old) and getting one on every casts.

Her set up consists of a 5ft shimano spinning rod paired with a small daiwa reel loaded with 4lb test. Which she casts on her own. I put on a red/white bobber with about three feet of line underneath then a split shot about 10 inches above the size 4 hook. We've been using the size 4 hooks to minimize gut hooking. We like to release the smaller ones and keep only the ones that are five inches and above. I really want her to hook into a good sized crappie, so she can really experience a decent fight on her lite setup, so far no luck. Would fishing a hi/low setup be more effective than the bobber setup?

I've read the Loch Lomond reports about too many bluegills in the lake, I would like to try it out. I have never been to this lake. Can some one point me in the right directions? We plan to fish from shore. Are there any decent shore spots where I can take her, without worry about her walking down the trails? Lexington? Loch Lomond? Uvas? I have no idea...I'm not much of a freshwater fisherman or saltwater fisherman for that matter, any help would be very much appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I have always used these hooks for fish I want to release long shank keeps them from swallowing and gives you a handle to grab.
http://shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/hooks/mustad/superior_point_carlisle_hooks/0179-0364.html
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
size 4 hooks would be fine for crappie, but for bluegill you want something more like size 8 or 10.  Long shanks help as do a nice pair of hemostats.

Also what are you using for bait.  I find  that grubs (i.e. maggots) work best but bits of worm work too.  Back home (upstate New York) they sell maggots for panfish and they go by the names "spikes" or "mousies", but I have no idea if you can get such things in California.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the tips.
We've been using long shank aberdeen(?) hooks, they are gold with long shanks and don't have the back barbs to keep the worm on, so you tend to lose more bait.
We've also been using those hemostats to get the hooks out.
The last time we went, three bait shops were out of meal worms. Small maggot looking worms that bluegills love. But none could be found on fathers day. Something about distributors not having any and the weather being too hot.

We also tried small 1/32oz jigs with red/white tubes, only got fish so far on it. I let it hang about 2ft. under the bobber.

Maybe we'll do better when the bait shops have a good supply of meal worms.

Thanks again fellas...

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

There are berkley gulp maggots available these days.

just paste 'berkley gulp maggots' into google. two links:

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=2431

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0017699.jsp

One thing about shorefishing is poison oak. keeps me from bushwacking around any lakes.
john m. airey

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
If you want to catch larger Crappie you could try small live minnows(if legal), the smaller crappie and BGs are less of a nuisance then.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
If you go to the Loch in the next week you will have no problem getting a fish a cast for your daughter.

PM me your phone number and we can chat about it.  I will give you all the details you need for a successful day.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Pat, you should also check out Chesbro if your down in Morgan Hill.  Lst i checked the water was ultra high, flooding the flats and creek beds that crappie and bg inhabit.  By the old Quail Cove Inn, there's a great crappie and bass area with tons of flooded trees.  As you drive down, you can pick up live minnows (and advice) at Coyote Bait and Tackle.  I've totally cleaned up at Chesbro from a yak, shore, and inflatable fishhunter boat.  Last year they stocked trout, and I caught a few to 2 lbs.  don't know if they did this year.

shoot me a pm if you want more details or to meet up.  its right by my parents-in laws house

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
thanks fellas, I'll be hitting you guys up soon.
I'll be taking her to Lake Del Valle this Sunday.

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I second mooch's slip bober plan it works better I think My son and I will also be going to del valle on sunday we will be in the narrows by the downed tree about 200 yards from the boat ramp lots of BG's there
Where did he go george

Davey Jones

i was fishing the bank and as you enter you will see the boats to the left and the shore in front of you and just follow that to the right to the bend in the shore and cast there. plenty of action at that spot.
Once you get to felton you can go to Rite aid and they have some tackle.
the road to the lake is under the overpass to MT Hermon; I sold some property there so I know some things;

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
i was fishing the bank and as you enter you will see the boats to the left and the shore in front of you and just follow that to the right to the bend in the shore and cast there. plenty of action at that spot.
Once you get to felton you can go to Rite aid and they have some tackle.
the road to the lake is under the overpass to MT Hermon; I sold some property there so I know some things;

Thanks DJ, I'll still have to look up directions to Loc Lomond. My oldest sis just bought the quiccstop in Felton, my lil bro works there. Does the rite-aid carry bait? The ones in San Jose use to.

KJ, hope to see ya sunday. I'll have the yak with me too(teal aquaterra prizm and yellow OC frenzy). I'm hoping to get there early enough to secure the last picnic table before the boat area.