Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:45:12 PM]

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fishing with a greenland kayak  (Read 970 times)

ghatid

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
So I got a little stressed/bored at work and so on my down time, I built an 18' + some change"  greenland kayak. I put a little hatch behind me, and now I need to learn to Kayak.

I'm tired of not being able to catch anything from the shore, once I am confident on my kayak, can I even consider ocean fishing with this thing? Does anyone on this forum use a greenland style kayak to go ocean fishing? I'm all about safety and not into risking my life for any of my hobbies (I have plenty of them, and worst comes to worst, I can buy fish).

Anyways, hi everyone!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Nobody I've ever seen goes out in a greenland kayak for fishing around here.  There's scant skin on frame builds in my neck of the woods, with fabricators here preferring strip construction or plywood stitch and glue.  I've paddled one before, many years ago, on Lago Atitlan.  Poor stability, easy to roll.  I bet surfing one would be a real challenge.  Pitchpole city. 

They don't strike me as the best fishing platform.  Whale hunting?  Sure.  Sea Lion hunting?  Hells yes.

Check out the DIY section of this site for the types of stuff folks end up fabricating.  I think I'd pass on fishing out of your boat though, but its time for you to build a wood and glass boat for sure.

Also, clean your shop.  Gross.

Welcome!
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Welcome, ghatid!

That is a pretty looking boat.  If you get really good at self-rescuing with it in rough water, use secondary flotation and wear a full wet suit or dry suit, you could fish it safely in the ocean, though I don’t know how well it would work. I fished from a sit-in kayak for a bit when I was getting started, and the main disadvantage is when you need to go to the bathroom. Plus there is nowhere convenient to put the huge lingcod you catch, so you have to slide them down between your legs.

I am just up the road from you in San Mateo if you want to meet up some morning and swap boats for a bit.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Very cool diy boat! But if you catch a big halibut, you'll have to do that "old man and the sea" thing to get it back to shore...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
That looks like it'd be a fun boat to try! Really cool DIY build. I wish my bouts of boredom and stress has such nice results!

I'd not consider it as a first time boat for fishing though. It's probably going to have a steep learning curve to be confident and comfortable in it (which I think you'd be able to do for sure). Throwing the extras needed for fishing would be a bit too much to start. Take it out on a small freshwater lake that allows swimming and get to know it.

Before going out, definitely get some flotation in there. 

I've done a good deal of freshwater fishing out of my SIKs, but it's not nearly as easily or comfortably done as from my SOT.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Sell it or trade it on CL for a SOT if you want to fish off a yak.
If not as you mentioned just buy some fish.

Very cool build though
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Just get out there and try it before going anywhere far. I’d recommend the Monterey bay kayak area and is a great place to learn learn Safty. Afterwards I’m sure you will have a better idea of what you need and overcome. Good luck and welcome  :smt006

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
All these "Experts" forget that this was the original fishing kayak design.
For thousands of years the Inuit's survived catching fish from this style of kayak.
The problem is that in todays society we have learned to take the easy way (like a sit on top kayaks or peddle drives).
If you have the skills to properly use this kayak, you will likely find it is better suited for fishing.
These kayaks (if built properly) will out paddle any sit on top, Cover ghreater distances, handle more weight, keep you drier and warmer.
The list of advantages goes on and on, but alas, it is much easier to get a sit on top, a rod and reel, and call yourself a pro.
Is it for everyone … NO!
BUT,
Nothing that takes real skills ever is.
If its what you want to use,
Laern to use it properly and you will enjoy it.
;0)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:01:49 PM by yakhopper »
Hobie Outback (dune)

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Two suggestions for safety. One. Learn to roll it upright effectively. If you can do this in open water this style of kayak is really safe. Or. Build two light weight outriggers that fit aft just far enough back to not interfere with your paddle stroke. Outriggers really work well with jigging rock fish. One sheet of one inch urethane insulation board. Cut four six inch wide strips, and just duct tape wrap for a trial and if it works then glass them. Nice project!
Charles

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
For thousands of years the Inuit's survived catching fish from this style of kayak.
The problem is that in todays society we have learned to take the easy way (like a sit on top kayaks or peddle drives).
If you have the skills to properly use this kayak, you will likely find it is better suited for fishing.
These kayaks (if built properly) will out paddle any sit on top, Cover ghreater distances, handle more weight, keep you drier and warmer.
The list of advantages goes on and on, but alas, it is much easier to get a sit on top, a rod and reel, and call yourself a pro.
Is it for everyone … NO!
BUT,
;0)
2nd that..
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Is it for everyone … NO!
BUT,
;0)

lol Luddites are funny.  Us "Experts" know that the original kayaks were made for hunting primarily and fishing as an afterthought.  We also know that the native arctic peoples use aluminum boats and rifles to hunt seals and walrus nowadays because they are major improvements on 12th century arctic hunting techniques, even if they keep the traditional knowledge alive and still build traditional crafts and tools they don't necessarily use them to the exclusion of modern equipment.  Nobody forgot anything. 

If OP wants to fish out of that boat then knock yourself out.  Wouldn't be the only guy around this page that doesn't use electronics or pedals and take pride in that fact.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Found a site a while ago with this dude, Jason Self from Oregon.  He mostly handline fishes and drops crab traps from a Sit-Inside Sea Kayak (pretty sure it is less than an 18' though, that is a big 'yak).  He is a kayak guide/instructor, though, so experience is definitely at play. 

"The stability in kayaks while fishing all depends on the boat you chose, and your level of skill. I've got lots of practice in sea kayaks and feel totally comfortable, but most people use super wide sit on tops for fishing. I'm used to super efficient sea kayaks, and paddling a sit on top feels like paddling the dock compared to high performance sea kayaks, and I'm too lazy to work that hard, so I go with sea kayaks for 99% of everything I do.

I also like to spread out my time in a kayak. A typical day consists of dropping crab traps at the river mouth, paddling out the river mouth and kayak surfing a few sets, then out to the sea stacks for bottom fishing, then a little touring out to the sea caves etc, then back to the beach to cook it all up. Sea kayaks are ideal for these activities."

http://forums.handlinefishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=3256
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:37:07 PM by Tez »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You can take the class from Jason Self himself if you want. He lives here in Humboldt now.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

925Yakker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
What a cool looking kayak! Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted on your progress!