Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Do you brine tray bait before using?  (Read 4996 times)

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Can these chovies be used for rock fish and ling cod? If so how do you rig them up, do you thred them on or just use the 2 hooks & put one in the tale & one in the head? Sorry if this is a dumb? Just never fished chovies before.
Lings will eat just about anything.  I guess if you have a bunch of anchovies and no use for them you can use for rock fish and lings.  But so much easier to just use a jig or just shoot them. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Reel Drag

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I've tried different brine's. I prefer just layering salt on a tray, placing the anchovies flat, then poring the salt on top. I leave them uncovered in the fridge overnight (About 8-12 hours). I also cut off their fins before putting them on the tray. I use anchovy bait rollers for trolling. I have had success with all salts, but tend to use cheap non iodized salt for 90%.
The bait holds up a lot longer in the water. I use to go through twice as many baits as I do now. I vacuum seal them in groups of five. I bags usually enough.
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Viking Kayak Profish Reload.

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I've never done a brine before but I use strip bait for flounder on the east coast a lot.  at the end of each trip I would catch some bait and cut strips and drop them in a zip lock bag of salt.  I try to keep them as dry as possible.  at home it goes in the freezer and when I would take trips I could have my bag of bait on the yak for 4 days or more without smell or flies.  it also would toughen up the bait so it wasn't ripped off right away.  There are a lot of bait stealers where I use to fish.

Haven't tried it yet here in monterey.  mainly because I haven't had a problem catching bait, but most importantly the smelt seems tougher than the mullet I used back home, and I mainly slated to toughen up the mullet.

should I be using Anchovies over the smelt?  do some fish prefer different bait (rockfish vs halibut)?

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... should I be using Anchovies over the smelt?  do some fish prefer different bait (rockfish vs halibut)?

Lingcod will eat anything. For halibut, I've had the best luck with sardines, but they are certainly caught on lots of other things, dead or alive.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Life_is_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Lingcod will eat anything. For halibut, I've had the best luck with sardines, but they are certainly caught on lots of other things, dead or alive.
thanks