Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: FF fix in 5 minutes  (Read 3720 times)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
My suggestion to those with working card readers ...
Before you have this issue (and you will eventually have this issue).
With the power off, remove any card installed and fill this slot with dielectric grease (not silicone).
This will protect the exposed contacts from corrosion and still allow you to reinstall your mapping card or allow for future updates.
Also, it is a good idea to apply a little grease to the card reader as an extra safety measure.
Unfortunately this issue is common on all lowrance units without a locking cover (per Lowrance tech support).
By the way,
I find it pretty bad for a company to know they have a bad design and leave it to be fixed at consumers expense. 
:0(
Hobie Outback (dune)

TommyTwoFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
FYI, my Lowrance Elite requires a lot of jiggling/wedging/bending of the power connection into the head to keep it from cutting out.  Sometimes I have to tie some fishing line around the plug and lash it to the head unit in order to get the right angle of attack in order keep the unit from blinking off.  Pretty annoying and one of these days I will get it properly sorted out.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt011

Don't have one of these FF, but I must say, WHT were the designers of this particular model smoking when they thought putting a card slot on it not protected would be a great idea?  Surely they knew the slot would get WET!
  I can only imagine they were thinking $$$$$ for all the repairs this little card slot would generate.... :smt012

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
You have to keep in mind that these FF weren't designed for kayaks where it gets that wet. 

With that said, I don't find anything wrong with the rubber gasket cover for the card slot.  I usually open it up after my trip to let any water dry off and usually, there isn't any water to begin with.  I can imagine after several trips of splashing water and not wiping it down can cause this issue, but its not that big of a deal if you remember to wipe it down once in a while. 

Now the Raymarine card slots are crap!  :smt005 
If you ain't first, you're last.

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
My suggestion to those with working card readers ...
Before you have this issue (and you will eventually have this issue).
With the power off, remove any card installed and fill this slot with dielectric grease (not silicone).
This will protect the exposed contacts from corrosion and still allow you to reinstall your mapping card or allow for future updates.
Also, it is a good idea to apply a little grease to the card reader as an extra safety measure.
Unfortunately this issue is common on all lowrance units without a locking cover (per Lowrance tech support).
By the way,
I find it pretty bad for a company to know they have a bad design and leave it to be fixed at consumers expense. 
:0(

Good info...looks like a plan...

Great recovery...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Very helpful thread!

I've just had my FF/GPS (Elite 5 CHIRP) start acting up about month ago. First it would  turn OFF after several minutes, but easily start again (i.e. not an electrical problem). Then it started freezing (and work again after reboot - for a minute or two)

Then I remembered this thread and removed Insight card from the reader - and it started working. Have been out several times with no issues!
2015 TI
2017 Outback

anything