Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:05:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: SF Bay Kayakers, can you please help me find the right Yak for me?  (Read 4414 times)

freelancer27

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Time for you and the GF to do some physical demos.

IMO a big part of your selection process should be an honest assessment of off the water stuff like storage, loading, and moving between parking areas and the actual launch. Solo, unless you always plan on having help which is again IMO unrealistic.

And do you care how beat up the car may get, I lopped off my side mirror the first time I loaded my first yak. Don't discount this one it's happened allot.

Happy shopping :smt001

That is fair. Storage and transportation to the beach should be easy. I can rent a kayak space for 60$ per month and just push the yak from there to the beach (5mins). Transportation with the car is a different topic. I am not even sure if a Honda 2001 Civic can hold a PA14 on top and what roof carrier is needed here. The car is already beat up, so not super concerned on this point.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

IMO a big part of your selection process should be an honest assessment of off the water stuff like storage, loading, and moving between parking areas and the actual launch. Solo, unless you always plan on having help which is again IMO unrealistic.

And do you care how beat up the car may get, I lopped off my side mirror the first time I loaded my first yak. Don't discount this one it's happened allot.

That is fair. Storage and transportation to the beach should be easy. I can rent a kayak space for 60$ per month and just push the yak from there to the beach (5mins). Transportation with the car is a different topic. I am not even sure if a Honda 2001 Civic can hold a PA14 on top and what roof carrier is needed here. The car is already beat up, so not super concerned on this point.
I read the whole thread. I appreciate your high details for what you think you want.  It's a big purchase either way, just for fun, I'd get engaged before thinking tandem.  That seat could get lonely if things went south, especially with a stiff wind.  Sausalito sounds fun to learn how to fish, but it is not a launch that provides solid access to find fish.  You are gonna jones for better spots to launch from that have more fish sooner.  So hauling it around is a priority for me, weight and ease of launch.  There is a channel with some stripers there in Saus, but where are the rockfish, halis, salmon, sturgeon.......?  Just a 2 cent noob checkin' in here, maybe we'll fish someday, I'm in novato. I get what you say about tandem, and I inherited a Malibu 2 that I am toiling with how to rig to fish with a friend, my wife, my son.....maybe a different order than that, but you know...........
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

freelancer27

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I read the whole thread. I appreciate your high details for what you think you want.  It's a big purchase either way, just for fun, I'd get engaged before thinking tandem.  That seat could get lonely if things went south, especially with a stiff wind.  Sausalito sounds fun to learn how to fish, but it is not a launch that provides solid access to find fish.  You are gonna jones for better spots to launch from that have more fish sooner.  So hauling it around is a priority for me, weight and ease of launch.  There is a channel with some stripers there in Saus, but where are the rockfish, halis, salmon, sturgeon.......?  Just a 2 cent noob checkin' in here, maybe we'll fish someday, I'm in novato. I get what you say about tandem, and I inherited a Malibu 2 that I am toiling with how to rig to fish with a friend, my wife, my son.....maybe a different order than that, but you know...........

Thanks for your response! Your thoughts make sense. I guess at this point it all depends if I can haul around a PA14 on my tiny car's roof. If that is the case I think I will op for that one. THe Outback is probably a bit better choice, but I can not bring anybody with me on it and it also does not support the storage and standing abilities of the PA.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Thanks for your response! Your thoughts make sense. I guess at this point it all depends if I can haul around a PA14 on my tiny car's roof. If that is the case I think I will op for that one. THe Outback is probably a bit better choice, but I can not bring anybody with me on it and it also does not support the storage and standing abilities of the PA.
As having flipped a kayak on my knees,  wrong move, on seat facing side, I get the desire to be a little higher(poetry), but standing, other than freshwater, is not going to be a priority desire after you sit in saltwater with an occasional gust, and a slight chop.  You may sacrifice lighter weight kayak for a dream of standing and going for a sleighride like a waterskier.  Just me knowing in my little world that standing seems way different on water than on land.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:04:16 AM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
OK so it's Sunday morning and I'm torturing myself with the political shows, better (for me)to offer some thoughts on this subject.

I've never (til now) took a close look at the PA layout. If you're buying it so that you can occasionally take the GF with you my question would be where are you going to seat her where she would be comfortable?  True tandem yaks offer two full seating areas and still they have the nickname of "divorce boats".  My GF and I have been asked on occasion whether it is better to have a tandem or 2 separate yaks, The instantaneous and simultaneous answer has always been 2 singles (this is after experiencing both options).  Kinda like use the crystal ball and really visualize you both in the PA for awhile. I like my GF and like to have her with me OTW occasionally but not as an uncomfortable passenger, but then that's us and I shouldn't project our relationship or personalities on you and yours. Just offering a view from BTDT.

As for standing, I can barely maintain my balance on dry land, seriously, so I can't offer any unsolicited thoughts on that one.

And yes I might be one of those people who just like to hear themselves talk.

I did find this vid tho.

freelancer27

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
OK so it's Sunday morning and I'm torturing myself with the political shows, better (for me)to offer some thoughts on this subject.

I've never (til now) took a close look at the PA layout. If you're buying it so that you can occasionally take the GF with you my question would be where are you going to seat her where she would be comfortable?  True tandem yaks offer two full seating areas and still they have the nickname of "divorce boats".  My GF and I have been asked on occasion whether it is better to have a tandem or 2 separate yaks, The instantaneous and simultaneous answer has always been 2 singles (this is after experiencing both options).  Kinda like use the crystal ball and really visualize you both in the PA for awhile. I like my GF and like to have her with me OTW occasionally but not as an uncomfortable passenger, but then that's us and I shouldn't project our relationship or personalities on you and yours. Just offering a view from BTDT.

As for standing, I can barely maintain my balance on dry land, seriously, so I can't offer any unsolicited thoughts on that one.

And yes I might be one of those people who just like to hear themselves talk.

I did find this vid tho.

Thanks for your reply.

I tested the PA12 with her on board and it works. I would simply put a little camping chair in the back. To make this experience more comfortable I am considering the PA14. I was also playing with the idea to get the Outback and the Sidearms. Not sure though if that rivals the stability of the PA's. Also not sure if the Outback would allow me to bring my gf with me.

I am not getting a tandem and she is not driving enough to get two separate yaks (plus space is already a problem for one).

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
The PA is a great yak, but it's pretty dang heavy.  If you go out on your own a lot, get a one seater.  If you need to go tandem, rent it. 

+1 on Santa Cruz Raptor G2.  I love mine and Jim's been great with helps and questions, plus he is local.  You can try without the fins and upgrade at a later time if you like.  Can't beat that.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels