Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fantasy kayaks  (Read 7825 times)

Hydrospider

Hunkered by the storm and thought I would share some of my kayak ideas.
While they are of the fantastic, I believe that some of these concepts are possible.
Present challenges will be weight and cost effectiveness but its nice to dream a little.

The preferred hull material would be a clear polycarbonate. These boats are already in production but I have yet to find a SOT kayak.

Hull design would be a hybridization of the RTM Disco and the Tarpon 160.
A longer Disco hull and the Tarpon work space and increased volume.
A blend of the boats second from the top and bottom.

A elevated lawn chair style would also be desired.

While the bottom portion of the hull would be clear, the top side would be fitted with solar panels to power electronics. These would be fitted inside the clear hull that would offer protection.
This would also be the case for GPS/FF. Nothing would have to be mounted outside of the clear hull.
This would protect screens and make for a cleaner work space but there would be no access to the controls for the electronics. There wouldn't need to be.
Ideal state would offer a remote control for all electronics housed in the shaft of the paddle.
The clear hull would also allow for multifunction lighting systems also controlled with the paddle shaft
remote. This could allow easy transitions for night vision friendly colors to increased visibility when needed.
(I also can't help but wonder if a clear hulled craft may help prevent shark attack.)

Documentation is another facet to this game that I have interest in. Multiple camera angles is something that really separates the good from the great.  Unfortunately mounted cameras can clutter the deck and interfere when fighting a big fish or when climbing back onto the boat after a swim.
Plausible solution is a drone launched from the ultralight helipad mounted on the aft section of the kayak. This would require a pre-programed hover point that would require very little to 0 focused control and would also be another function of the paddle shaft remote.

Just a few rainy day ideas that I would eventually like to see in my fishing kayaks.
 :spiderman:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:25:05 PM by Hydrospider »

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hovering drone, Oh ya!!! Clear boat!?!?!? Like a fish on a dish for sharks!!! :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
I think i have my dream boat now (WS thresher 155) Gonna put the LEDs on and do some GWIZ style electricals.... Stereo not out of the question :smt005
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Just give me a Revo with a smaller (1/3rd) version of the AI outriggers using an collapsible X bar type support. Have it pulled in for launches/landing or other times I need to paddle. Push it out about two feet so it locks in place while OTW.  A 2' by 3', or 2' by 3' 6" tramp area would be awesome
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
Just give me a Revo with a smaller (1/3rd) version of the AI outriggers using an collapsible X bar type support. Have it pulled in for launches/landing or other times I need to paddle. Push it out about two feet so it locks in place while OTW.  A 2' by 3', or 2' by 3' 6" tramp area would be awesome

I thought you already got outriggers for your Revo?

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
while you engineers iron out the details, how about I handle the model in the first picture?  :smt003

Hydrospider

"Clearly" these concepts are not for everyone but a little homework showed me that others outside of the NCkA think tank find interest in a little transparency.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Terry, not so sure about the see-through bottom. Do you really want the Landlord to be able to verify that there is something edible on top?  :smt005  :smt044

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I would like a built in "Salemans Friend" with one way valve since I have a bladder the size of a peanut.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Terry, not so sure about the see-through bottom. Do you really want the Landlord to be able to verify that there is something edible on top?  :smt005  :smt044

That's a good point Howard. I like the idea for freshwater but I absolutely hate it when the ocean water is super clear. Then every sea lion/under water movement has the potential to spark a little shot of fear. Happens mostly while surfing vs kayaking but still think a clear bottom in the ocean wouldn't work for me. For freshwater though it would be very useful for spotting the fish or structure.

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I've seen this yak in action out in the kelp beds in monterey. I thought the guy paddling it was sitting on top of the water . Can't hide any fish in that kayak :smt002

PablitoPescador

• Sea Lion
  • Sorry ladies, I'm married to the sea
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I've seen this yak in action out in the kelp beds in monterey. I thought the guy paddling it was sitting on top of the water . Can't hide any fish in that kayak :smt002
Why would you need to hide fish...scumbag? :smt044

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Why would you need to hide fish...scumbag? :smt044
From you Poacher :smt040 :moon :moon

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
"Clearly" these concepts are not for everyone but a little homework showed me that others outside of the NCkA think tank find interest in a little transparency.

That last one is badass. Would be a perfect boat for the tropics.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
That last one is badass. Would be a perfect boat for the tropics.

That kayak would turn into a greenhouse in the tropics. :smt005

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I would help seeing the land lord under me before he hits, but then again... ignorance is bliss.  :smt001
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

anything