Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:16:44 AM]

[Today at 07:04:56 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:51:18 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:18:31 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:44:23 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 04:35:30 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 02:26:27 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 01:51:05 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: fishing for your living  (Read 19238 times)

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I've been in selling or supporting networking equipment for the past 12 yrs.  Currently, I'm selling Voice over IP equipment for a start-up.   :sleepy2:

skooterdawg

By Day : Install/Maintain Restaurant Kitchens  -  By Night : Genital Technician    :smt003

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
smt046 some of this stuff is funny
design & install photovoltaic system {aka} solar
i save the planet 365 days a years before that was a cook & sour chef in a few high end Restaurant in new Orleans for over 13 years i also did a tour of duties in Marin county Restaurant chef i feel your pain
my part time job is rebuilding a 1976 Coleman pop up camper i want 2 paint the nocal logo on the side of the camper or on the  spare tire cover have 2 talk with bill about about the logo
 yes it will have solar
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 06:06:47 PM by gotbaitgofish »
got saltwater

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Photovoltaic systems huh?  What kind of panel could you mount on my yak to run my electronics or at least to provide a trickle charge to make my batteries last a long weekend.

I work for a fabless semiconductor startup as the chip architect.

Anyone here an electrician in the south bay?  I need a new electrical main to replace my 1920's era 30 amp main.  How about a plumber?  I need my 1920's era pipes updated to fix some pressure problems I have.  And last but not least, anyone do chimney inspections of 1920's era stonework?  Or gas upgrades of the fireplace?  You get the picture.  My 1920's era money pit needs some loving this summer.

-Allen

craigh

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I'm a mechanic at a waste to energy power plant.
Ex- heavy equip operator at the same plant, and still taking classes at the local J.College.

Craigh

Randy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

Purchasing Manager for a ship building and repair facility and tackle supplier to Seabreeze.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I'm a veterinarian......and kept under Randy's spell by the shiny baubles..... :smt008
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Also a govt. worker, clerical.............need my vacation/personal/comp/holiday(plus what ever other "holidays," we make up) too.  I'm also a participant in the "10+ Years To Earn a 4 Year Degree" program at San Jose State (having a little too much fun :smt003).  Industrial Technology, concentration in Manufacturing.   
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Part time farm labor for my parents and full time health insurance claims analyst. Also on the 10 year electrical eng. degree  plan.

-Brian G

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I helped a guy test a trolling motor with a 2'x4' solar panel and it drove the motor quite well.  I'd think a 12x12" solar panel would do a FF.  Since I'm an EE I'd have no trouble installing a PV system on my south facing roof, but panels are too expensive for now.  I imagine they'll be cost effective soon the way energy prices have been climbing though..   :smt013

There must be a fair amount of demand for PV installation since there's some new law about 20% of new houses or somesuch being required to have solar energy systems.  I remember there was a subsidy, then some beef about wether to require union labor...  I tuned out at that point.  :BangHead: 
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
i work in san jose for a semiconductor company. what i really do here is take papers, fill out forms, send them out and when parts get processed i approve them for manufacturing and large qty processing. before i did this kind of work i worked as a bike messenger in downtown san francisco.

in college i studied gerontology and business administration and worked in nursing home management for a year til i got too sad seeing people die daily.

after i was laid off 4 years ago i went to work in the dive industry. then also worked in construction tool distribution as well. then one day my old boss emailed me and asked if i wanted to come work for their new company. so here i sit.

i also have a job as a husband to my wife katarina. i make sure she does not get tumbled by waves in her kayak when paddling out or in.

i would rather be sitting on a kayak with fishing rod in hand though... for now i process papers.

in a couple of years my wife and i will move to Slovakia to be with her family since she sees them only once a year and only for a max of couple weeks. there will come a time i will have to make good on my promise and move there so she can be with her family more and leave all this behind for the time being. what is life without random and different experiences right? there i can pick mushrooms in the nearby hills and fish for pike and "hlavatka".

being that it is land locked by poland, czech rep., austria, ukraine the fishing is all fresh water. here is the fish they call hlavatka:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:08:09 AM by JohnGuineaPig »

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile

looks like a giant trout!

I paid a guy in slovakia to write some code for me, I had to look up on the map
where it was, I'd never heard of it before. but a map doesn't say what it would
be like.

Then I watched ewan mcgregor ride his motorcycle across europe and asia.
he crossed solovakia and I saw it was a burly mountainous country.

like living in the moutains of wyoming or colorado or even tahoe. okay, maybe
not that last one,  :smt005.

john m. airey

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
promethean a 12x12 solar panel is over kill for a fish finder you just want 2 provide a trickle charge
while out on the water never have 2 worry about the battery again

there are cheaper ways 2 installing a PV system just cut out the man in the middle yes there is a very high demand for PV installation is far is the 20% of new homes law when the union got invole the hole thing went south very quick
got saltwater

chasman

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11112942&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

check out this  link. I have been curious if this would work on the yak. I have seen others, but this looks the most portable.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
john m. airey