Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:30:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Deploy and take down sail far from shore?  (Read 2612 times)

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
So let’s  assume I am not sailing my Adventure off a gently sloping tropical beach through gentle surf for a half day of  sail-only play where the worst that can happen is the boat and I get blown back on the beach..  Instead let’s assume I am in a loaded kayak touring, fishing, and or diving miles from anything like an easy take-out in cold seas where loss of way for too long could result in getting blown out to sea or onto some inhospitable rocks.

Now I want to put up the Hobie sail.  How do you rig the boat to string the main line through the nice Harken block installed on the stern handle padeye?  Some kind of permanent running line loop to pull the main sail line back, through, and then forward?

Now I want or have to take the sail down.  Use the main line to pull the running line back through the stern Harken block and back forward where it is tied off to form a loop?

What about the cooler, crate, fishing rods, or other stuff bungeed down behind the seat: how and where would you route a permanent running loop to make it possible to put the sail up and take it down on the water?

Is there a best practice to rig the sail for repeated deployments and take-downs far from land?

So far:

1. Rig a bow-area loop into which I put the sail-furled-around mast with the butt in a paddle bungee, somehow outboard enough not to interfere with pedaling.

2. Add a couple of ball bungee tie-downs to tightly furl the sail around the mast.

3. Figure out how to put up and take down the mast, including furling and unfurling the sail, without pulling the main sheet out of the stern Harken block - or my reach.

New question 1: Do you remove the little whisker batten before furling the sail?

New question 2: So now I am pedaling along with the Turbo fins, happily fishing here and there, mast bungeed in to starboard (my right), and paddle bungeed in to port (my left). Now I want to stop fishing and sail for a while, do I have to stow my fishing rods in the hull, or maybe get those ram rod mounts that swivel down so the rods (bungeeed and leashed) are laying back parallel to the water?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Dwest... I was going to suggest going to KayakFishingStuff.com's Hobie Forum at  http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5086057385 to get answers ... but I see that you already found it.  Excellent!
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks, ChuckE.  Trying to figure it out.

Really enjoyed your crabbing article; any updates? (Maybe response posted more appropriate place?)
dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
7-4-06

Happy Independence Day!

Rigging thoughts for my Hobie Adventure so far:

1.    Keep lurking in online forums, read articles, etc. – try not to reinvent the wheel.  Thanks to RoadRunner, OffRoad, the Hobie, KFS, and TopKayaker forums, and others for rigging ideas.

2.   The boat needs many more padeyes to accommodate leashes and  lines.  So far want to put padeyes (1 & 2) inside each mesh pocket for tool leashes, add two padeyes (3 & 4) using the fasteners for the forward Scotty rod holders (add a second identical setup on port side to mirror factory installed holder (5 & 6)). 

3.   Also add cleats with eyes: one below the mast bungee holder to leash the Mirage drive (1), one in front of each forward rod holder (2 & 3), and one on the bow deck (4) (among other things to hook the bottom-of-mast- bungee loop to help stow and transport the mast on the starboard while on the water).

4.   Already added a swiveling Harken block to the stern boat handle padeye for the main sail line to run through..  Add a piece of main sail sheet hardware (?block? faireye?) to run the line from the stern Harken block outboard to starboard / right to let the line run free of whatever is in the behind-set well.  Add a Harken block forward  so main sail line can run through it and back to hand to trim the sail.  Maybe a cam cleat handy to secure the main sail line once the trim is acceptable. 

5.   Going to need a longer mail sail line / sheet to make this rig work and allow the sail to be deployed / taken down for stowing without the need to re-string the line through the stern block(s).  Going to leave a knotted tag end at the sail attachment grommet to loop over the furled sail and secure on the factory –installed plastic hook, as suggested by RoadRunner.   

6.   Going to pass on the use of a snap attachment of the sheet / line at the sail grommet and the use of ball-bungees to hold the sail furled for now.

7.   Tried putting my existing fishing rods into the kayak hatches.  Because I am by nature a frequent solo fisherman, sailor, etc. I focused on the use of the hatch just forward of the seat.  Without alarming bending scraping of rods this is not a good situation for me, even with shorter two-piece rods.  I measured the clearance without bending as about 30 inches to stern and 24 inches forward.  I guess I am in the market for multi-piece or telescoping rods for the first time since my backpacking days.

8.   Tom Holtey’s articles at KFS on kayak camping and how to load gear in your kayak very helpful.

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Touring/KayakPacking/index.html

Guess many dry / floatation bags in my future.  Think I will be adding some padeyes inside the hull to leash the dry / floatation bags, fishing rod cases, etc.  Where it makes sense I will “double” the padeyes so there is one inside and one outside using the one set of fasteners.  Looked at the “gear trolley” idea but not sure about it.

9.   Eagle sonar / gps unit on my small bass boat (‘yak tender) will do double duty on kayak.  Going to rig removable transducer in foam block per (can’t remember where I saw this post?). Cabelas 12 volt, 8 amp sealed and  rechargeable sonar / gps battery ordered.  Thinking of securing battery inside the hull just aft of the Mirage drive well.  Still uncertain where and how to mount the sonar / gps: must be at hand but not interfere with pedaling, sailing, or use of rod holders.  Going to look at a double rod holder-type set up to adapt to the electronics unit, most likely on the starboard / right side.

10.   LED running and anchor lights to be added.  Would like to make them switch-controlled from the cockpit while underway.  Not investigated this yet.

11.    Waiting for the new hinged 8 inch hatch replacement kits.

12.   Probably add a luminous marine compass somewhere just to one side of the mast hole.

13.   Already have the Turbo fins and the enhanced rudder.

14.   Massive pfd research underway, including what safety / emergency gear to put in and on the pfd.  For now have an Extrasport Retroglide.  VHS radio a priority. Many threads, posts, websites, and forums reviewed (thanks all). 

15.    Boga grip, saltwater-grade hook remover, and waterproof tackle box research and comparison shopping underway.

16.   Bulk and weight of freedive gear a challenge except for day-trips.  Going to let figuring this area wait for now.

Thoughts, referrals, and comments welcome.

Thanks.

7-5-06

AlohaDan and others: Lots of stuff?  Yep, trying to figure out how to keep the boat shipshape with all the gear.   Appreciate any thoughts about work-arounds or do-withouts that get the job done.  My plan is to expect the boat to go over at the most awkward time with the most gear deployed.

Scotty flush mounts port and starboard, with mounting hardware used to support either 2 padeyes or 2 eyebolts or a combo of one each: one to keep whatever mounting board / rod holder(s) leashed (very short leash(es)) and one to keep rod(s) leashed (longer leash)(es)).   Probably install a second flush mount or use a double rod holder mounting board to allow a combo of rod holder and a second holder for sonar /gps on the starboard /right side, and a combo of rod holder and manual downrigger on port / left. 

I will be trolling conventional, spinning, and fly outfits in various combinations from time-to-time,  including the use of a manual downrigger if that looks to be most effective.  Sometimes will stow everything to surf launch /land, float, pedal, or sail without trying to fish.  And all the variations in between.

Each mesh pocket (factory-installed port and starboard) set up with internal or over drainage slot padeye to leash tools such as: Boga grip, needlenose pliers, hook remover, hook hone, line cutter / nipper, etc..

Cleat with eye below mast bungee loop T-hardware: to secure bow line and short in-use leash to Mirage drive.  Cleat with eye on bow deck to, among other things as previously posted, hook the bottom-of-mast- bungee loop over to help stow and transport the mast on the starboard while on the water.

Thanks for your input as I try to puzzle this all out.

7-6-06

Transducer mount:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=3665.0

Anyone with experience re the Scotty triple rod mount?  Intrigued by its integrated lure and tool holder.

Thanks.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
15.    Boga grip, saltwater-grade hook remover, and waterproof tackle box research and comparison shopping underway.

Anyone with experience re the Scotty triple rod mount?  Intrigued by its integrated lure and tool holder.

I'd pass on the Boga and just get one of those orange lip grippers from Cabelas.  I have the Rapala version of the Boga and never use it despite being good build quality.  I either gaff or use my dive clip (small fish).

I have the Scotty triple and wouldn't buy it again.  Nothing wrong with it, I just never use the forward rod holders.  To hard to reach and to hard to get the rod out of the holder...  Therefore it is a bit overkill just to carry my FF.  I'm not even sure how you'd mount it with the peddles up front.

My $.02 is to keep it simple in the begining.  Take it out a few times with the bare minimum until you get a hang of things and learn where you want to put everything.

Good luck - Kevin
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:31:52 PM by Kevin »