Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Adventure feedback  (Read 3459 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So, Thanks to Tim the Hobie Rep, I was finally able to test paddle the Adventure. With the help of Scott, I got on yak and adjusted the pedals and away I went. One thing's for sure, the pedal system is not for me. But at least with this yak, I had the option to paddle....so I switched to paddling mode and this particular kayak had the feel of a Tarpon 160. Fast but not as stable as I'm used to (just like my Scupper Pro). The seat was definitely higher than my Prowler 15 and more comfortable on the butt. (just like the Cobra Marauder) As I was paddling, I could not figure out how to set the rudder straight - the lever on the side had me guessing on how the rudder was actually positioned - I actually almost flipped when I tried to turn around to see if I got the rudder to flip up. Anyway, as I'm partial to "paddling" (and will always be) and not "peddling", this yak can definitely move and get you to places FAST. And I do like the fact that the kayak does offer the buyer a choice - to paddle or to pedal...or even sail :smut002 The price is steeper than the rest of the fleet but you can always do without the "extras".

I also tried the Hobie Quest - which is the "no pedal" yak. To me, this yak has potential. The seating is very comfortable, the ride is stable and it tracks really good for a 14 footer. The hatch up front can easily be reached, opened and closed with one hand  :smt023 Super Cool!! The foot rests are also super comfy and the tank well is the biggest/widest I've seen!

Windrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Mooch,
Peddling is trying to sell something. You said the pedal system is not for you, what didn't you like about pedaling the Adventure?  I have one and so far I'm quite happy with it.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I like to paddle by nature - I just simply like using my upperbody..... besides that, my legs are not as good as they were  :smt009 (sports injuries)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 03:13:56 PM by Mooch »

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
My take on the new Hobie Adventure is quite different.. but then again, unlike Mooch, I love to pedal.  Before I was a kayaker, I was an avid mountain biker and long distance road cyclist.  That's why the concept of pedaling a kayak interested me.  It was an opportunity to cross-train and build some upperbody strength... and also fish at the same time.  That's why the Hobie Mirage Outback was a natural choice for my very first kayak.

In lakes and bays, the Hobie was the perfect kayak for me.  I loved being able to fish hands-free, troll, and maneuver in ways no traditional sit-on-top kayak can match.  However, when I discovered ocean fishing, surf launches, and rougher ocean waters... I started looking for a longer, more ocean worthy boat that was easier to carry solo.  That's when I lucked into winning a OK Prowler 15 at the SC Derby (while fishing off my Outback).  The Prowler was lighter, longer, and had big front hatch and rear tank which was perfect for rockfishing and long distance salmon runs.

Not long after that, I started fantasizing about the perfect boat which, for me, would be a hybrid between my OK Prowler and the Hobie Outback.  I really wanted a more ocean worthy pedal boat that paddled equally well.   I even called Hobie to express my interest in a longer version of the Outback and I even asked if it was possible to modify a traditional sit-on-top to accept their drive.  The short answer was "no" and Hobie's tech guy qualified that by saying that they intended the pedal drive to be exclusive to Hobie kayaks.

So.... last year, when the word about Hobie Adventure leaked out, I was elated that a kayak manufacturer was actually listening to customers and using the feedback to design better kayaks.   On paper, the Adventure had the potential of being the perfect boat, so I was obviously anxious to try it out.

Last weekend, I had the perfect opportunity to test drive the Adventure.  Hobie arranged for us to get a free loaner from California Canoe & Kayak for our Oyster Point Derby.  From the paddle shop, I rushed directly to the San Leandro Marina boat ramp.  The conditions sucked.  There was a stiff west wind and nothing but whitecaps in the bay, but I felt compelled to take the Adventure out anyway.  When I left the ramp, I met up with two Hawaiian paddlers on ultralight outriggers.  To my surprise I was able to easily keep up with them.  My cruising speed with the pedal drive was about 5.2 mph, and with the paddle, it was about 4.7 mph according to my GPS.  Not bad at all.... considering my paddling average on my Prowler was about the same speed.

In the wind chop, the Adventure cut nicely, but was not near as dry as my Outback which has a high sides.  At higher speeds in rough water, water was coming up through the pedal drive, but that wasn't too bad since the water was mostly confined to the drive's recessed area.

The deck layout of the Adventure is smartly designed and very comfortable.  It has a nice raised 8" hatch in the middle which stays quite dry and there are convenient trays on the each side for storing snacks or tackle.  The custom seatback (which has also has a rear zippered pouch) locks in place with two built-in pegs and adjustable straps.  The front hatch is secured with two bungees and can be accessed even with the drive in place.  The front hatch space is even big enough to stow one piece rods and the entire drive unit if necessary for beach launches and landings.  To me that's a huge plus!

The tankwell in the rear is not as deep as I like, but it's good and wide.  Two built-in rear flush mount rod holders come standard.  The holders were shallower and narrower than I prefer, but my rods fit okay.

Although the Adventure is a little heavier than my Prowler, transporting one is just as easy since the Hobie has very nice molded-in handles placed at the boat's balance point.  The handles really really work well and allow me to carry the yak on my  shoulder or head and lift  it onto my SUV rack with no problem. 

The ulitimate test for me will be when I get a chance to put some actual fishing time on an Adventure.  I really want to see how well it handles in the surf and how fast I can get around on it compared to my experienced paddling buddies.  :smt003

-Chuck
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 04:30:21 PM by ChuckE »
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
My background is similar to ChuckE's, as far as cycling is concerned. I've never been a real fan of recumbants though, even though they can be speedy as heck. I've also been kayaking since '93. I've previously dabbled around on other Hobies before, but they were to put it politely, pigs.

The Adventure, not so much. You could actually paddle this boat if needed/desired. And as far as that goes, in many ways it is superior to some other manufacturers boats. But the whole boat is set up for peddling. Having a rudder that needs to be controlled by a hand, is not so good when you are clutching a paddle. And the hull is designed in a way, that the rudder is not all that optional. Not enough rocker to make it easily manueverable. As may be needed if you need to do a 180 between waves.

I found the stability to be an excellent compromise. It seemed there was slightly more initial stabilty than my Scupper Pro, with fantastic secondary stability.

The speed seemed to be quite good, but I was looking for more "gear", as I was pumping away like mad, without that much resistance. The Hobie rep said that the big fins make quite a difference in that regard. I also liked the outfitting and layout of the boat.

I think some folks would absolutely love this boat for fishing. If I had the $$ and CFO approval for as many yaks as I wanted, I'd actually consider purchasing it. Which says a lot, as there aren't many other SOT boats out there that I approve of. As far as using it as a general purpose, non-fishing platform, I feel there are too many compromises that make it inappropriate for some of the funnest Northern California conditions (big swell, big wind, big chop, big surf)

Scott