Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Adventure Review Part 1  (Read 14736 times)

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hobie adventure: It’s a bicycle disguised as a kayak! That was my description of a Hobie. Pedal instead of paddle? No way I wouldn’t even try one. Narrow-minded? Maybe a little. I love paddling as much as fishing; I mean I use a Greenland Paddle for most of my paddling even when I’m in a canoe. However, while there’s no way I would ever give up paddling for pedaling, the option of both is one hell of an option.
Hobie Adventure so far. Made it out Millerton for a few hours Wednesday.
 First thing notice I notice was the side handles that make it a lot easier to carry it or load it that’s a big plus in my book. The seats that Hobie supplies with their yaks have pegs on the bottom of them that right into two scupper holes located right on the hull where the seats goes. They’re actually tow rolls of them for seat adjusting, no more seat sliding back and forth, I always hated that. As far as weight goes it’s sixty lbs, that’s about average for most SOTs. In the 16 ft range. Once on the water I paddled it for a couple of hours. For me this was the real test because if it didn’t paddle well It’s not the kayak for me. I am not giving up paddling for pedaling. After what I felt was a thorough paddling test I think the difference between the WS Tarpon 160i and the Hobie adventure is slight with the Adventure being just a bit harder to paddle but more stable. I’ve yet to do a long paddle like about eight miles. For me that would be from Millerton lake up the San Joaquin River to Squaw Leap for some incredible striper and shad fishing that starts about late March. Sorry I’m getting off the subject.
Next the pedals or The Hobie Mirage Drive as Hobie calls them. A fact that opened my mind towards Hobie was those peddles can be taken and put back in-in a matter of seconds with just a twist of the knobs on each side of the opening that the drive goes through. The drives are easily adjustable. Also before you pedal you need to adjust the seat to where you’re leaning back a bit, like in an easy chair.
Next the controls for the rudder. The control for turning is a lever on your left side, nice and handy. The control lever for lifting the rudder out of and putting it in the water is located back behind you just a bit
back on the right side of the Adventure. 
Once the drive was adjusted and I was pedaling through the water, it was pretty cool, weird but cool. The only thing I can compare it to is it’s like having an electric motor. The controls worked great. I pedaled around for another couple of hours. There was some wind and the water was choppy, but the Adventure handled well. I was in love! The fishing possibilities would be endless. Then I tried to lift the rudder out of the water so I could paddle back to the launch. The rudder wouldn’t budge, not a problem if you want to pedal but a big one if you want or need to paddle. I pedaled to shore once I got in shallow water I was able to lift the rudder out of the water with the lever easily. Once back in deeper water I had the same trouble again. I finally made it back to the launch. When I got home I called Hobie for some advice, nice folk. They told me about a particularly screw I would need to tighten and that the Adventures rudder system was new and they would help me fine tune it. I did what they said but I won’t know if works until I get it back on the water. Any Hobie owners had this problem? If I can get the rudder to work right, the Adventure will be my new favorite yak.
My 2 cents.   Actually I went on a bit  my dollars wworth.
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

Windrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Paddles & Flies,
Good review.  Problems with the rudder stowing properly are posted on some other forums and Hobie engineers are working on a tech sheet to address the adjustment problem.  I'm looking forward to your nex installment.

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
The Adventure rudder retraction issue:

There is a length of bungee just underneath the flip and fold rudder retractor lever. A lot of stretch has to be overcome before the rudder will flip up. Rickey, put heavy pressure on the rudder lever and hold it in place. It should then flip up after a moment or two. Push the lever so hard it feels like you'll break it (you won't). The entire problem can be solved by replacing the bungee with a length of high strength spectra.

Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

PAL

• Salmon
I've had my new Adventure out on four occasions, for a total of just over 25 miles. That isn't enough time for me to give a complete review of the boat, particularly as I haven't taken it through surf or heavy weather. Hobie positions the Adventure as a big water boat - I aim to discover its full capabilities. There is an excellent chance later this year I'll have this kayak out on a wilderness trip, so it has to live up to expectations and be a decent paddling craft, because I don't want to rely on a mechanical contraption a couple days paddle from civilization.

Given those caveats, I'm prepared to discuss the merits of the Adventure as a flat water fishing kayak. It's a fantastic, maybe even unparalleled, combination of range and fishing utility.

The Hobie Outback is much shorter and wider. It fits into tight spots, and turns in a relatively short radius. It's ideal for bass fishing. The advantage of maneuvering hands free can't be overstated for this application. You can cast and retrieve without pause, and continue fishing hands free in wind and current. Even when trolling its an advantage, and so much more fun to have the rod in hand for the strike. The Outback is a great fishing platform, but it is a pokey, inefficient paddler with insufficient storage for an ocean going kayak. The Adventure overcomes the Outback's disadvantages by mating the Mirage drive with a recognizable kayak-shaped hull.

You can do anything on the Adventure you are used to doing on a Prowler, Tarpon, FND, or Xtreme - meaning, you can sit sideways, straddle the kayak, scoot forward and back along the length of the hull, etc.

It paddles reasonably well, although it would be wise to remember that Hobie's engineers designed this boat around their Mirage drive and rudder. So some people will find it "tracky" when under arm power (you can't use the rudder while paddling). Also, the boat is very flat, with little rocker and a pointed entry. There's no wasted length - its all in the water. The result in my experience to this point is a boat that cuts cleanly through swell, chop, and waves rather than riding over them. I'm beginning to think this was a deliberate design choice. Remember, with no paddle in hand when under pedal power, staying upright is all up to the hull, so a low stance is a big plus. Except perhaps when launching in big surf (4'+) - that still needs to be determined.

The beauty of hands free has to be experienced to be fully appreciated - take my word for it, its terrific for fishing, photography, or even enjoying a cold one en route.

Kayak anglers who favor wide platforms with maximum deck space for rigging might be frustrated by the Adventure. Although Hobie has provided some fishing friendly features, the boat is more akin to the Scupper Pro than the Marauder or Xtreme. Rigging it has been a challenge due to a shortage of mounting spots on the deck. For example, there is nowhere to drop flush-mounts or rocket launchers behind the seat - except in the tank well. There is a nice flat shelf up front, and a couple of places on the rails about even with the pedal system. The molded-in rod holders are shallow (about 4 inches deep) and angled nearly straight back. I conferred with rigging expert Hook 1 Kayak Fishing Gear - we've come up with a plan that works for me and my fishing style and need to keep a clean deck when desired.

We went with RAM balls and tubes. One up front on the cockpit bulkhead, and two on the front wall of the tank well. I have to add a bait tank and fish finder - they'll also be fully removable. We also rigged up a leash system for the pricey Mirage Drive. That way I can pull the drive, stash it on the bow, and paddle into thick kelp to go after calicos and rockfish with no worries. I'm very happy with the results so far. I'll take photos at the next opportunity.

Storage is decent. There's a huge tank well in the stern. The 8" round hatch in mid-cockpit is mounted far above water line, but it doesn't protrude above the seat, so it won't cut into your legs. If the medium sized bow hatch should had been a couple of inches longer getting saltwater sticks into the kayak would've been much easier. Also, the Mirage Drive would have fit inside. 

Finally, I'll leave you with photos that demonstrate the advantages of hands free maneuverability. I  couldn't have gotten these if I'd had a paddle in my hands. My apologies if you've seen them elsewhere.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 10:07:51 AM by PAL »

Windrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
The Hobie Forum now has the Tech Note up on the rudder stow problems.  It is listed under "Hobie Kayak - FAQ" by Matt Miller.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Thanks for the excellent reviews, you guys. This boat is extremely tempting, as I am one who likes to go the distance (whether I need to or not). It is nice to know that it paddles pretty well, because I too am first a paddler.
Neither of you mentioned what the speed or feel was like pedalling; except to praise the hands-free aspect. Does this thing really book or what? Do you still have that "at one with nature" feel that paddling gives you when you're pedalling? (esoteric, I know, but important). And more practically, do the pedals get in the way of, say, viewing a fish-finder, or more importantly, getting to the front hatch? Do you have to take the pedals off to access the front hatch?
Thanks again...
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

PAL

• Salmon
What does it feel like to pedal the Adventure? I find it very comfortable. As Rickey mentioned, the seating position is semi-reclined. The seat provides good lumbar support, although I've found extra padding to be nice for longer days out. And it is as non-obtrusive as paddling as evidenced by my recent dolphin encounter. Pedaling this kayak is relaxing and takes little attention - it lets me pay more notice to the surroundings.

Is the boat fast? I pedal it about as fast as I'd paddle. Once my legs are used to the work I might do better. However, I've observed something different than I expected.

Although the Adventure's top end in calm conditions doesn't seem to be much higher than most paddling SOTs, it definitely accelerates much more quickly. But it really seems to shine in a headwind. It doesn't seem to be slowed at all. During my last outing, while the same paddlers that I'd paced earlier in the day were laboring to return against the wind, I blasted right on by using an easy cadence. I need more time on the Adventure to verify these observations. 

Do the pedals get in the way? They could block your view of a fishfinder if you aren't careful where you put it. I don't consider that an issue. As for accessing the bow hatch with the pedals in place, sure, it can be done if one pedal is pushed forward to its limit and the other disengaged from the sprocket and rotated forward. Then I can lean over the Mirage drive to access the bow hatch. I'm 6' tall; someone with short arms might have more trouble.

As far as pedaling goes I ride a bike on a somewhat regular basics, I was really comfortable with the pedaling, a lot more than I thought I would be. Paul’s right about the fish finder, I’m going to install it off to the side and not in the middle of the console. Do remember those pedals can be removed and put back in quickly. So if you needed to get to the hatch you simply remove the drive, and straddle forward.
When you remove the drive be careful because if you happened to drop it in the water you’ll watch $500 worth of gear sink to the bottom. That handy cord with
How fast can you pedal? As I mentioned when I was on Millerton Lake (which by the way is an extremely popular lake for sailing.) and it was windy and choppy. Strong winds were coming from the west and the launch was to the south, what better time to give the pedals a test. Wind and waves hitting the side of my kayak, now normally when I’m dealing with a cross wind I lower my rudder and get to paddling. In this case I just kept pedaling. I went through a cross current easily. Back to the question how fast can you pedal the Adventure or any Hobie for that matter? My answer is as fast as you can pedal.
Now on the subject of nature and how it reacts to the pedaling of the Hobie Adventure. As I was pedaling into a cove to check out some fishable areas, I noticed a red eared grebe. I love grebes they’re gorgeous birds, but they are really really shy. This particular grebe dove under the surface as soon as I came within thirty feet of it, normal behavior.
What wasn’t normal behavior was when that grebe surface about two feet off to my side and gave me a look as if to say “ you’re the ugliest dam duck I ever saw”. This really happened I swear. Now my question for you Paul , when you had your dolphin encounter (excellent photos by the way) did they have love in their eye?
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I read where the drive system does not stow away into the front hatch. I had to see for myself. I drove down to CCK to check it out. No matter how much I twisted and angled, put in forward and backward and sideways, the drive DOES NOT fit into the hatch.WHAT WERE THESE GUYS THINKING???
I was so amped for this kayak but now I am hesitant. The drive is great, but I want it out of the way when I am diving or fly fishing. I like the drive to get me where I want to be, but once I am there i want it out of sight.
maybe a larger front hatch will be in future designs. I sure hope so.
<=>

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
How heavy is the kayak? Can you actually carry the yak over your head to put on and off the rooftop of your vehicle - with ease?

COOL Dolphin pics! Too bad the dolphins here in Norcal don't come that close.....maybe it's just my deodorant :smt011
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:38:55 PM by Mooch »

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
COOL Dolphin pics! Too bad the dolphins here in Norcal don't come that close.....maybe it's just my deodorant
What deoderant?

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks more again for answering my questions!
As for accessing the bow hatch with the pedals in place, sure, it can be done if one pedal is pushed forward to its limit and the other disengaged from the sprocket and rotated forward.
Is it easier to disengage the sprocket than to pull the drive? (I know that's not too hard from seeing the boat at a show; a lot easier than I expected).

Hey guys ,The pedal drive can be stored in the hatch. All you have to do is adjust the length adjustments to one side and not right in the middle , it'll then be angled and not the full length it can be . There's no way you'll get them in other wise . Then put the drive in the hatch fins first  towards the cockpit, they will fit, easy.
Tote, I probably don't  need to tell  you good line control is absolutely necessary flyfishing from a yak. My lap is my stripping basket and I've taught myself to just relie on that area. When I cast-- I cast at probably a 30 degree
from the bow. That said I 've  yet to give the adventure the fishing test. What I'm hopeing is I will just lock the drive in place and be able to cast with them there.  if it doesn't work I can out them in the hatch or drywell .I'll let
you know how it goes.
Hey mooch , The Adventure weighs 60lbs you probably could pick it up it  and put it on your truck. As far as the dolphins go they're very intelligent creatures and they don't like you because they pdobably read your quote.

PAL

• Salmon
If the Prowler 15 - my trusted offshore ride - is actually 56 lbs, then the Adventure is probably closer to 65-70. I think it is a heavy boat. Unfortunately, I don't have the sort of scale to check it.   

It is very simple to reposition a pedal forward on the sprocket. You just push in on a lever and rotate it forward. Takes all of a second. It's easier than removing the Mirage drive.

60lb is what Hobie says it weighs. It's a lot easier to move around than my Tarpon160 which weighs 65lbs, so says WS.