Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:29:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Adventure  (Read 6250 times)

Windrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I'm new to kayaking but not fishing and I'm considering buying a Hobie Adventure for bay and coastal fishing.  This forum doesn't seem to have an area to talk about kayak brands and I'm wondering if any of you use Hobie Mirage kayaks and what your opinions on them might be.  The idea of hands free fishing and trolling is quite appealing and the Adventure will pedal, paddle, and sail.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You're right.  There's no dedicated kayak or gear review section here yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  In the meantime, if you just do a advanced search here for a particular  brand and model of kayak, I bet you'll find ample discussion.  For example... I did a search for "hobie" in the topic and found this discussion on the Hobie Adventurer.....

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=1460.0
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Looks like a cool boat, easily the best hull for Hobie so far.  I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but I wouldn't mind trying it.  Just remember that there are a few areas/habitats ( kelp, surf etc.) around here where the pedals don't really get it, otherwise its a well liked system if your into pedalling and can afford the extra cost.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
That boat is SERIOUSLY on my wish list! I will first have to test drive it before I make any final decisions. Sean is right about the kelp being a factor, but with this new hull design I think it would be easy to pull and store the drive system and paddle without a problem. Looks pretty sleek. I also think it might double my range of fishing by being able to rest my arms for a bit and peddle. When the legs get tired switch back. I also like the fact that it provides a pretty good upper and lower body workout.
I was pretty envious of JTF on my last sturgeon outing watching him chow down breakfast while keeping pace with the rest of us paddling out.
<=>

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
I just found out the peddle set up comes easily and quickly. I got one on the way.Up until I found that out
I called them a bicycle disguised as a Kayak. The adventure looks a lot like a tarpon 160i
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Paddle and Flies you got the new Hobie?
Review it for us..

Chuck isnt that what you have on your kayak? A paddle system?
I thought that was your I tried at Mendo last year.
Matt

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I have the mirage outback and i will say its a super cool kayak.  my only problem is the beating i take in really rough conditions, so far though, I haven't seen 1 kayak out there that is good for everything.  There is alot of stuff you have to look out for with the mirage pedals.  Other than that, I seriously feel the adventure is way overpriced.  I recently (3 months ago) demo'd 3 other yaks.  They were, tarpon 140, malibu extreme, and cobra fish n dive.  I had a gps and I was able to go the same speed paddling on all 3 yaks as I would peddaling my mirage.  Cruising on my mirage with my legs pushing at a comfortable pace goes 4 mph.  The other 3 yaks did  the same and at the time my paddling technique wasn't so solid.  The only prob was the fish n dive was so wide I had to make some adjustments on my paddling but the damn thing was still really smooth.   The tarpon was very sweet.  The extreme was pretty cool, I liked it alot also.    Demo, Demo, Demo,,, thats all I can say, and make sure you demo in rough conditions.  JTF..
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

when I get one I will.
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile

looks like a killer boat!

I like the video of the tug of war between the
one guy in the adventure and the two olympic kayakers on the other side.
yep, adventure wins!

ping me if you decide to sell your t160!
john m. airey

If I get to keep it I might. I may just be getting it  to review

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I have not paddled the adventure...yet. But I did see one up close at the Fred Hall show. I did not like 3 things:
1) the font hatch is secured with only a bunjee cord
2) the heavy weight of the kayak
3) the price  :smt009 (I can get two P15's for the price of one Hobie Adventure)

....just my 2 cents :smt002

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
The Hobie doesn't really weight that much more than the Prowler15 considering it is 7 inches longer. The Hobie is listed at 60 lbs where the Prowler is listed at 56lbs. Of course the drive is another 7 lbs. I have easily shaved 7 lbs off of my Prowler by downsizing, I would be sure I could do the same with the Hobie.
You could easily add a strap and clip to the Hobie hatch if you wanted with no probs at all.
I do agree with the price though, a bit steep. Then again, would be nice to be able to troll while using my hands for rigging or better yet using a downrigger deep in Lake Tahoe. I am going to paddle one this month sometime. I will let everyone know how it goes.
<=>

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
The Hobie doesn't really weight that much more than the Prowler15 considering it is 7 inches longer. The Hobie is listed at 60 lbs where the Prowler is listed at 56lbs. Of course the drive is another 7 lbs. I have easily shaved 7 lbs off of my Prowler by downsizing, I would be sure I could do the same with the Hobie.
You could easily add a strap and clip to the Hobie hatch if you wanted with no probs at all.
I do agree with the price though, a bit steep. Then again, would be nice to be able to troll while using my hands for rigging or better yet using a downrigger deep in Lake Tahoe. I am going to paddle one this month sometime. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Tote, I totally agree.  I plan to to demo one too asap.  Let's compare notes.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Hey Guys, I picked up the adventure and the mirage CCK Saturday , I'll l be on the water for the first time this year Wednesday.
I let you know how it goes I'll be giving them a therow work out.

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
ware aer you going Wednesday Rickey?  I was thinking of hitting milerton Wednesday. Let me know if you want to hook up.

Patrick

anything