Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is it time to reduce Rockfish limits?  (Read 5332 times)

Edlovestofish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I blame the seals so many of them things out there eating all the fish time to open season on him! :smt044

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
2017 Oregon bottomfish closure is imminent.  Overquota on black rockfish.  I have 3 unrelated confirming sources, seems really credible even though I don't really want to believe it.  Expect announcement soon.
Would that mean a closure to all bottomfishing, or just closure of black RF retention?

Word is closure of all bottomfishing. There is an internal email that went out this morning that gives details. I'm trying to find a copy of it leaked somewhere. It would be nice if ODFW got out ahead of all the rumors sometime very soon.

Flatfish to remain open?

-Allen

Yes.

4K lbs of south quota (out of 10k total) was moved to central inshore a couple weeks ago and there's still 14k of all depth remaining for halibut. South is getting screwed bad.

And other flatfish (that Mr Mayes likes to fish for) will remain open as well?

-Allen

Tinker

This is the official announcement:

[Oregon] Recreational Bottomfish Closure set for end of day Sunday, September 17

Oregon’s recreational bottomfish season will close to all species but flatfish as of Sunday, Sept. 17 at 11:59 p.m. due to the annual quotas for several nearshore species having been reached. After Sunday, Sept. 17, anglers may no longer catch or retain lingcod, any species of rockfish, cabezon, greenling, or other bottomfish, except for flatfish species (sole, flounders, sanddabs and halibut other than Pacific halibut).

Recreational efforts have been higher than anticipated this year, higher than any other year in the last 15 years, and peaked during the month of August. High catch rates, good fishing weather, and fewer other angler opportunities led to more boats and anglers targeting bottomfish this year. “It’s been a poor salmon season and tuna haven’t really made a strong showing within range of most recreational anglers,” said Maggie Sommer, ODFW. “This increased fishing pressure on bottomfish, and anglers had a lot of success pursuing these species.”

And the News Release:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/09_sep/091217b.asp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:18:30 PM by Tinker »

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Well shoot, I was looking forward to fishing for big lings in December.  This Saturday is looking real nice for Depoe Bay.  Might have to give it one final hurrah for a limit of lings before shifting over to scratching for Chinook in the bays.

Good news on the flatfish front at least.  I'm slowly accumulating waypoints for them.  Should be a fun day to explore more sandy ocean floor if I score my lings early  :smt001.
aMayesing Bros.

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Seems a little unfair to issue an annual license and close off the fishing.  What would happen if you just purchased your license last week?

M.A.S.HAT

• Sand Dab
  • I am a lineman for the county.
  • View Profile Marin Anglers Society
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
In addition to Oregon, Southern California (I was told by a Santa Barbara resident) has closed their bottom fishing season in an effort to revive rock fish populations.  I would not be surprised if Nor Cal was to do the same.  That being said, ALL of my kayak fishing this year has been for bottom fish.  I go out probably twice a week and pull up all the fish I could ever need, but have never limited out.  I cant imagine needing ten fish to feed my self/family.   So I don't think the idea of reducing the bag limit to seven is a bad one. 

The majority of my catch are Brown and Gophers, and if I happen on a Blue or Black, I release them because they are scarce in my local fishery.  However, my pals up in Arcata slay Blues and Blacks on a daily basis and almost never see a brown or a gopher. 
I think a more realistic approach to managing ground fish populations is to limit specific species bag limits county by county.  I know this could be frustrating for the traveling angler, but it just takes an easy Google search to find county by county restrictions and if an angler is too lazy to do their research before they drop a line, then perhaps they don't deserve to be on the water. 

polepole

• Administrator
That will teach me to sing the praises of oregon's management of groundfish. Everyone lol@crash now. brb eating some crow.

I view it differently.  Adaptive management is working.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
In addition to Oregon, Southern California (I was told by a Santa Barbara resident) has closed their bottom fishing season in an effort to revive rock fish populations.

Reference please .. because I have not heard a thing about this.

-Allen

M.A.S.HAT

• Sand Dab
  • I am a lineman for the county.
  • View Profile Marin Anglers Society
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
In addition to Oregon, Southern California (I was told by a Santa Barbara resident) has closed their bottom fishing season in an effort to revive rock fish populations.

Reference please .. because I have not heard a thing about this.

-Allen

I was told by a friend who goes to school down there, but have not been able to find any official statements on line so perhaps its all BS.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I think a more realistic approach to managing ground fish populations is to limit specific species bag limits county by county.  I know this could be frustrating for the traveling angler, but it just takes an easy Google search to find county by county restrictions and if an angler is too lazy to do their research before they drop a line, then perhaps they don't deserve to be on the water.
While this may be effective for homebody rockfish like China and gopher, it would be unlikely to be effective for species that are more migratory, like blacks and blues.  These species are documented traveling hundreds of miles over their lifetimes.
aMayesing Bros.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
In the past, CA has enacted an emergency closure of RCG seasons due to exceeding the yelloweye rf harvest quota. I think the last time was 2009? Before that it was maybe 2003. And they closed lingcod prematurely in 2000, if I recall. It generally takes about 10 days to become law when they do these things. So if they were gonna claim emergency closure in CA, we'll have a small warning before it's official.
On an unrelated front, I fished Carmel on Sunday and encountered more blue rf than I've seen since like 2006...I couldn't keep em off my hook.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Looks like the official closure will happen midnight Sunday, so us Oregon anglers will at least get one more weekend out of it.

Similar to "true" NorCal, there's an amazing amount of black rockfish up here.  A lot of big ones too.  I think by pure biomass, they dominate the nearshore rocky habitat.  When I fished out of Newport on a boat earlier this month, I could hardly keep them off my lingcod gear.  Was CnRing massive 20+ inch blacks left and right.  The problem was that they were too damn easy to catch, and everyone caught a ton of them this summer since the tuna and ocean Chinook seasons sucked, and coho season was good for maybe three weeks total out of the time it was open.
aMayesing Bros.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Yeah California does emergency actions all the time. There is a current and lengthy razor clam closure in humboldt and del Norte. Pacific halibut just closed for quota. Mendocino area RCG closed a few years back because of yelloweye limits being reached, and that was because of 2 assholes that went out and caught bunches of them between shelter cove and Westport to prove that there were a lot of them and they should be allowed for retention. Klamath River also normally has emergency closures once quotas are met, and maybe we can look forward to that again someday.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tinker

My understanding is that the Pacific Fishery Management Council may reduce the Oregon groundfish quota significantly next year and that could mean Oregon will have seasons for all groundfsh species, similar to the cabezon season up here.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
My understanding is that the Pacific Fishery Management Council may reduce the Oregon groundfish quota significantly next year and that could mean Oregon will have seasons for all groundfsh species, similar to the cabezon season up here.

That meeting is happening right now in Boise.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything