Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Delta Launch Locations  (Read 80305 times)

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Here is a clue to Delta access:

The Delta has a number of abandoned or rarely used ferry locations.  On each side of the waterway the now defunct ferry crossed, there is a nice ferry ramp, wooden or concrete, that slopes gently into the water.  The ramp is where the ferry boat nestled against shore and where cars, trucks, or horse-drawn wagons drove onto the ferry.  Here's a couple to get you started:

Near Stockton go north and exit Interstate 5, going west on Eight Mile Road.  Turn right (north) on Correia Road and go to the end of the public section to find a nice cement ramp; its mate on the other side can be reached from Highway 12 west of Lodi, turn south on Correia Road.  Either will put you in the middle of an area where even professional bass tournaments are won.

As far as I can tell, this is the spot and you can investigate the map to check out the area:

Go further west on Eight Mile road until it ends, turn left (south) and go to the end of Empire Tract Road where there is a big loop of dirt road turnaround and the slough tees into the main channel.  There is a wooden ramp still occasionally used by an old landing craft used to ferry farm equipment to a private island.

As far as I can tell, this is the spot, You can see the ramp sticking out into the slough right across from the northern part of the turnaround loop. You can investigate the map to check out the area:

There is plenty of road shoulder parking at both places; expect a number of bank fisherman for company.  No launch fees, no improvements, no security, of course.  I’ve never had any problems even late at night, but you have to decide if the spot is right for you and yours.

Anybody know how to research old Delta ferry crossing locations?

Already know of some you can share?

How about you post some launch spots in an area of the Delta you are familiar with?

Good luck, and thanks.

dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Great observation Don. Old ferry locations would make a nice ramp.

I was able to locate both of the locations you mentioned. White's Slough looks like a great fishy area and the ramps would make easy access.

The one on the channel looks close to a good group of islands including this one.
This ain't no delta meth shack!

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
No, Al, Tinsley is private for big, fancy boats that are rarely ever used.  One fun place nearby is on the same side of the channel as the wooden ferry ramp.  Just west across the slough is a largely sunken island friendly to small craft , especially at high tide.  Fish the deeper channels between the weed beds and the tules around the outer fringes of the island.

Should have mentioned that along Eight Mile Road there also three commercial marina areas, pay-for launches and all. 

I am not sure how many marina's with launch-for-fee ramps or lifts or crane hoists there are in the Delta.  Must be approaching a hundred.  Look at the map, choose an area that looks good, and find the closest marina.  Call them and negotiate a 'yak fee - many will waive it for hand launched, person-powered boats,  many will not!

(Can't wait for my new kayak, the beach is a bummer and summer is fading.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:06:20 PM by dwest »
dwest -  just a guy. (Occasionally posting quasi-fictional-hopefully-amusing stuff under the pen name StocktonDon.)

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Got to post a disclaimer on the Correia Road ferry ramp reached going south from Highway 12 west of I-5: my canoe log notes it is there but I never drove that route to check parking on that side.

I have used the ramp on the south side of the slough accessed from Eight Mile Road and it is good to go for access and parking.

Trying to keep it real.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:23:48 PM by dwest »

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
My favorite Delta map is from Fish-n-Map Co.:

https://secure.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.html

Marinas, ramps, waterproof plastic, and on and on. 

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Got to post a disclaimer on the Correia Road ferry ramp reached going south from Highway 12 west of I-5: my canoe log notes it is there but I never drove that route to check parking on that side.

This looks like a real nice fishy area, but don't take the Hwy 12 route.

I took a drive to this location after work today. The road is a single lane along the levee that takes you to a dead end where the ramp must be located. Problem is the end of the road is fenced and posted with no access or view of the ramp. A braver person than I could launch off the rock levee.

I did notice the ramp on the other side as I was leaving and it looks like a good access. I'll take a drive there next week to confirm.

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Scouted out the 8 Mile Road launches into the Delta.  (Take Interstate 5, go west on 8 Mile Road).

Just before the first bridge, take a left to go to Paradise Point.  This is a full service marina with boat rentals, a general store, and The Breadfruit Restaurant (Caribbean food, mon!).  It also has an observation tower and a picnic area designed to be out of the hot summer sun.

Back on  8 mile Road heading west you come to the second, green, bridge.  Turn left to go to King Island resort.  A somewhat smaller, rougher launch.  General store.

Back on 8 Mile Road going west, just across the green bridge turn right onto Correia Road. Keep going as the road turns from rough paved to well graded gravel and back again a couple times.  You will notice a cement ferry ramp with its mate across the slough.

Go back to 8 Mile Road, turn right and go to the end of the road.  Turn left and go to the end of the paved levee road.  You will see a wooden ferry ramp to your right.  There is a “no everything sign,” so it is your decision whether or not to use it.  I’d tell you about my decades of experience there, but I better take the 5th.

Turn around and go back on the levee road , cross 8 Mile Road and you are at Herman & Helen’s resort.  A floating restaurant, store, and a small launch ramp squeezed in.

There is bank fishing here and there off most of the roadways, and if you had an adventurous frame of mind you might be able to rough launch also. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 09:48:27 PM by dwest »

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Good info. I've been to the two marinas you noted. Paradise has a nice fishy area on the slough to the south.
Thanks for the additions Don

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:49:41 PM by alfredo »

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
How do you do the Google Earth kmz file thing?

Thanks.

By the way, I posted a link to this thread in NorCal Inland.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 04:58:12 AM by dwest »

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks from this map / satellite photo like there might be public access at the end of West Woodbridge Road of the Sycamore Slough area of the South Mokelumne River, anybody try this?

I have fished this area by power boat.   It had large- and small-mouth bass, crappie, stripers, and various panfish.  It might also be a downstream take-out for a float trip from Wimpy’s / New Hope landing (upsteam where West Walnut Grove Road crosses the river).  Salmon and steelhead migrate through this area in season.

Thanks.

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
No joy.

Drove north on I-5, off at Highway 12, then north again on Thonrton Road to West Woodbridge Road; turned left and went under the I-5 freeway to the end of the road..   End of road was fenced and posted.  No public access to the Mokelumne there.

Went back to Thornton Road and drove north to Peltier Road, then west on Peltier under I-5  to Blossom road.  On Blossom across Beaver and Hog Sloughs, both looked great, but again bridge approaches fenced and posted no trespassing or parking.

Here's the general area:

Blossom deadends into Walnut Grove Road.  Went left past the familiar Wimpy's  / New Hope area, over the second bridge past Giusti's resturant, and up onto River Road along the levee.  Possible rough launching by lowering a 'yak by rope but tough without at least two people (and maybe a block and tackle).  A more detailed investigation of every posssible spot might show an easier launch but I did not have time for more than a driveby.

North on River Road which becomes Highway 160,  past Walnut Grove, Locke, etc.  Crossed the river just before Courtland to scout Elk Sough on what I think is called Road 142: slough very fishy, woody but levee marked private and  no trespassing everywhere.    Couldn't tell if the slough connects to the Sacramento River at its north end; google Maps suggests not:

Here's the genearl area:

Back across the river and north to Sacramento to look and Bengal, Savannah, and hybrid Bengal-Savannah cats. 

http://www.hdw-inc.com/

No new 'yak launches to report.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:32:44 PM by dwest »

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Stockton launches:
Morelli Park

Under Interstate 5 is a very urban launch that historically has been free on weekdays and for-fee on weekends and holidays. 

Fish downtown (turn east or right from the launch) or down the channel (turn west or left from the launch).  Bass fall for crankbaits, plastic worms, etc.  Lots of channel cats; stripers from time to time.  Don’t eat the fish.

Louis Park

Further west along The Channel (San Joaquin Deep Water Channel) is the public launch at Louis Park

Free almost always (cannot remember last time a fee was charged and no fees posted). Bass go for spinnerbaits, plastic worms; watch for stripers in season. 

Buckley Cove

Still further west is Buckley Cove. 

This is the best, busiest, and most secure launch.  Of course, it is always for-fee.  Hand-carried kayaks may get by with just a vehicle parking fee.

Bass in Buckley Cove and along the channel in the weedbeds hit crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and everything else from time to time.  This is a frequent weigh-in spot for bass tournaments (translation: anglers harvest bass from all over, bring them here in livewells, and turn them loose in this area after they are weighed).

Lincoln Village West Marina

There is a quasi-private launch ramp in north Stockton near the Lincoln Village West Marina.  Free for “berthers” at the marina; $20 for all others; but harbormaster told me free for canoes and kayaks hand-carried to the launch.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:54:29 PM by dwest »

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Great thread. I have a $30K bass boat and still frquently launch yaks in the delta :smt001. You can add to the list Holland Riverside Marina near Bethel. There is a bridge that offers free access or you can launch at the marina for $10. Good LM fishing in Rock Slough.

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
ppickerell, is this the marina?

Where is the bridge you discuss?

dwest

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Tips on using kmz files?  I'd be happy to use them if I knew how.  This is a Google Earth thing?  versus Google Maps? 

I will lurk aroung the Google Earth stuff to see what I can find a on my own.

anything