Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Should full membership require "self rescue" pics?

Absolutely. All members should.
10 (11.9%)
Yes, but only for new members.
0 (0%)
A good idea but shouldn't be required.
46 (54.8%)
This is a bad idea and will hurt the NCKA culture.
28 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 30, 2016, 02:45:00 PM

Topic: NCKA rite of passage  (Read 4885 times)

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Ok how about this analogy...a 12 step program , where the only requirement is the desire to stop whatever is your drug of choice ..if a member has difficulty or has slips or chooses not to be clean and/ or sober right away.... they aren't kicked out of the group or not allowed " membership "  they aren't required the posting photos of being clean and sober before joining ..they are encouraged to keep coming back until they get "it" ...in NCKAs' case maybe Saftey is the "it".

Just my .02

Thanks , Vic

Right, the only real requirement to be part of the CLUB has (and I hope WILL) been to not be an intolerable jerk or prejudiced bigot.  That keeps you in the door, access to the fun stuff requires being present and having a good time.  Thats why the "CLUB" might have 5000 "members" in it, but as far as I am concerned its more like 300, and know I'm not alone in this assessment.  none of us are perfect but we are all welcome as long as we try to be decent and present people...

If you guys want to lock the thread, I'm happy to start posting my unfettered opinions.  :-D

The funny thing is, those who I regularly see practicing self rescue are those who probably need the practice the least.

Right, they need it the least because they practice for fun. I need to practice more, I can self rescue, but its ugly :(

Bushy,
 You do a great job of preserving the true spirit of the club and this community.
Tons of respect and Im glad we are friends.
Im aware that its not always easy to be patient with my topics and views.

You've made it clear that the club won't support an ability based safety check and I do understand the reasons why.
Still, I have a strong suspicion that this club is under skilled.
I tried to spark a change that would encourage skill development. 

When tournaments started requiring proof of self rescue, was there a noticeable drop in attendance?

see above post about "this club", are you talking about the 5000 or the 300?  or are you talking about the noob's that just started and need some time to "get it" ?  If its noobs, they will catch on or drop out....  if its the 300 regular huys we see, i think most of us practice wet entry every so often at the least, especially the divers.  but maybe I'm incorrect about that. 

Regardless, this is a free group to be in, not exactly a formal "CLUB" with a bunch of rules and badges/belts that need to be earned or proved.  but this is just my 2c
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I'm a fat guy, so self rescue was important for me to learn and practice. And in doing so it felt like it's more about having the upper body strength to lift yourself out of the water. Obviously much easier for the thinner guys, but still needed. I was surprised at how easy it was for me to do it, even in my Trident 13. I doubt I could self-rescue in my Trident 13 right now, but I also am not paddling it until I resolve some health issues.

I don't really agree about NCKA culture being "under-skilled". I have been around a bunch of tournaments. At Eric's GS9 last year a bunch of people took a swim, and as far as I know all of them self-rescue'd with minimal to no gear loss.

Every time I've gone out with NCKA people, those who show up without proper gear get a talking to about it. It's never happened in my sight but, I suspect anyone who doesn't get with the program doesn't get to hang out with a lot of NCKA people.

I remember showing up at MBK tourney last year with two deaf friends of mine. They had shit for gear and I was upset. I told them repeatedly to dress for immersion and one of them showed up in cotton sweatpants. Wasn't a big deal that day as there were a ton of us there, but I've never invited them out again. It's risky enough out there on our own, having to worry about someone who isn't willing to do the bare minimum to protect themselves and putting their lives in our hands? No thank you.

Just my experience in the last few years here.

I agree with rockfish that the actual "club" is more like a few hundred people. Anyone can join the few hundred. They just have to show up, be a cool dude, and be prepared.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I think it is funny, people voted either, yes or no. Nobody is for granting amnesty  :smt044 I knew I loved you bastards!  :smt007
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

Still, I have a strong suspicion that this club kayak fishermen in general are under skilled at self rescue.

This seems more likely to me. I think of all the kayak fishermen that I've met over the last ten years more than half of them were not even aware of NCKA.
If anything it seems plausible that NCKA forum users have a better chance of being proficient and that chance only increases with time and member involvement in activities.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
  I'm not a guide, nor a founding member, but i didn't go on the ocean before Hydrospider gave me the basics on how to self rescue.   I practiced before I went anywhere where exposure could be an issue.  i.e.- winter paddling and the ocean.  I won't go into more extreme situations with folks who don't know how.  Untrained paddlers are a liability to not only their safety, but mine as well.

Aaron

Yeah me too.  I thought I invented kayak fishing when I bought my 1st.  Scupper Pro.  1st thing I did was put on my wetsuit and go over the falls about 100 times on 7th avenue Beach and practice self-rescue, before I ever fished it. 

So there's no argument about that at all.  Just the idea to make it a prerequisite for membership don't fly.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Bushy,
 You do a great job of preserving the true spirit of the club and this community.

You've made it clear that the club won't support an ability based safety check and I do understand the reasons why.

When tournaments started requiring proof of self rescue, was there a noticeable drop in attendance?

Awwwww.....  I love you too, Hydro.  Like Mr. Natural says "We're all bozo's on this bus!"

There is definitely a substantial Kook factor amongst kayak anglers.  And power boaters, and surfers, and (fill in the blank).  Best course is to role model and keep people thinking in the correct direction.  I think you have succeeded well in this case.

Fall, Almanor, Sea Chumm, Polepole, Clayman, Me, You?  Antlers Motel?

Maybe I will learn to catch trout.  I am overdue for Almanor payback....

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

VK

not me I had my head up my ass ( still do at times )..rolled that kayak first time out..if I had to prove that I could self rescue to join...never would have done it ( I`m  stubborn)...however being "allowed" membership kept me reading and asking questions, and taught me a lot ( and humility)

Rockroach had a impromptu class at Lake Sonoma ,I went ,got some great info; a much needed skill...after that he held another impromptu class with Sean Morley at Timber Cove..even better experience  learned more..

and maybe  saved a life

ok .06 now
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:00:56 PM by VK »

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
The safety message here is very strong!

I'll tell you when I was gifted two kayaks (sit inside, will sink if rolled) I didn't even know self rescue was a thing. I took those things out in the slough in Suisun every day, and even Tomales bay before I knew what I was doing. Just knew I wanted to fish, and that I had to stay in the kayak. I mean we're talking PFD (wakeboard pfd) shoved in the hull, jeans, hoodie, beanie and a fishing pole.

Luckily, my ignorance never got the best of me and I realized I was missing out on a lot with my bum boat. So I googled and found NCKA, that's when I learned about all the safety bit, and have acquired all of it now, and I can self recue in the pool, ponds, lakes, sloughs and tomales. Haven't been on open water yet, but you bet I'll give it a try there, and I'm confident I can get back in.

You guys do say a hell of a lot about safety, I wouldn't even go on hookups because I didn't feel like I had the proper stuff or skills. Went on my first one with Scott to Berryessa, and now the American with Adam and Co. and I'm finally starting to feel like I have the necessary skills and equipment to fish with other more experienced kayakers.

I read (and read) a lot and learned (and am learning) a lot from this community, so I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and wisdom shared, and let you guys know that complete noobs do actually read and pay attention. The ones who don't I would imagine won't stick around.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

Hydrospider

I reread this entire thread. I did not do a good enough job explaining my suggestion.
Some of the posts from members seem to suggest that I want "no access" to the NCKA if you can't self rescue.
New members and lurkers would still have access to all of the safety, kayak, and fishing information available.
They just wouldn't have access to the members only reports, political something, and classifieds.
A strong incentive to get this skill handled.
Just felt that I needed to clarify.

Bushy,

Awwwww.....  I love you too, Hydro.  Like Mr. Natural says "We're all bozo's on this bus!"

There is definitely a substantial Kook factor amongst kayak anglers.  And power boaters, and surfers, and (fill in the blank).  Best course is to role model and keep people thinking in the correct direction.  I think you have succeeded well in this case.

Bushy
Sounds like a plan, but be warned, we're bringing the Kraken with us.  My place is also open for that crew this fall.

Still, I have a strong suspicion that this club kayak fishermen in general are under skilled at self rescue.

This seems more likely to me. I think of all the kayak fishermen that I've met over the last ten years more than half of them were not even aware of NCKA.
If anything it seems plausible that NCKA forum users have a better chance of being proficient and that chance only increases with time and member involvement in activities.

I agree Salty, when I take my hiatus' from the NCKA and check out the other cultures, your thoughts are confirmed. I try to follow a "think globally, act locally" point of view. Its why I participate here.

There is a lot of examples (and even current threads)of good members/people that can't get back in their boat.
The reasons are consistent.  Encouragement just isn't working.

Ive had plenty of opportunity to plead my case. So its time for me to sign off on this one.
I hope it is enjoyed and maybe helps someone get out on the water without their fishing gear and put in the time.
 :spiderman:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:55:26 PM by Hydrospider »

VK

Hydro , thank you for clarifying ..I do read your posts and they are interesting ,educational and I see you putting your money where your mouth is .

Thanks for putting yourself out there .

Respectfully ,

Vic

Angler

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012

Bushy

Yes!

Aaron
Take some, but save some for later.
1st Place Yakhoppers 2013 Delta Kayak Maddness (Striper Division)
Hobie Outback
WS Tarpon 120