Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Seat conversion for revo 13  (Read 1963 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I've seen a bunch of conversions for people who added jackson elite seat to there hobie outbacks, and it looks way more comfortable than my old style seat. I've been thinking of buying a newer hobie kayak for the new vantage type seating, until I did some research and seen the jackson seat add. All the pictures and videos I saw were for Outbacks and not revolutions. I've upgraded my seat cushion to the hobie air cushion and it helps with my back pain, but still after 5 hours of trolling my back tightens up. What do you guys think of upgrading the seat? It seems like a good fix for an outback, but what should I do for my revolution? Do you think it will work? Or is it time to buy a new kayak? I love my kayak but hate the seat!! I'm going to go to ISE show this weekend to check out the new chairs and maybe persuade the wife to let me buy another kayak. It looks like it might help with my back issues instead of buying a new kayak, looking for every bodies feedback thanks!!
2014 Revolution 13 - sold
2015 Pro Angler 12 - sold
2019 Outback - sold
2015 Adventure island

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Just guessing, but the revo is narrower and tippier, so that lawnchair-style mod might not fit. And even if it does fit, it might raise the CG enough to be an issue.

I hated the seat in my 2013 Adventure (now dpiloting a 2014 AI) until I added a pvc backrest. I'd always thought it was the seat bottom that was giving me trouble, but eventually figured out that it was actually the seat back. Anyways, it might be something to try before you spend the money to upgrade just for the seat...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  There's a good reason we still use this seat on our kayaks...   It's one of the top rated Bass boat seats..

Come over the hill and take the new G2 out for a demo ,, you won't be disappointed.   Bring your Mirage Drive.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

iairj84

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I have the Jackson seat mod in my ~2012 Outback and it has its share of benefits and drawbacks... For one it barely fits on the outback, it would definitely not work on the Revo.

Here's some of my observations good and bad, keep in mind I am 5'11" and 230lbs (well I've lost a bit of wait but was 230 last trip out with this seat.) Also, I mounted mine in a temporary style where the back is mounted to a treated 2x4 and the front attaches via a backpack style strap to the front hatch to hold it down. I can still swap out to the original seat for the ocean and choppy water.

- By adding the seat this way more weight gets added to the back of the boat, meaning if there's any chop in the water you WILL get water through the rudder lines and into the hull. Depending on the chop of the water this can range from a cup or two, to several/many gallons if really choppy. Be prepared with a bilge at all times (always a good idea anyways.)

-You're sitting higher than the stock seat (and even higher than the new vantage seat) this is great for casting and comfort, but you do lose a bit of stability, in the outback it's no big deal, and I've yet to roll it with the new seat in place. I wouldn't ever use it on the salt though.

- You are sitting higher and further back from the stock seating position meaning I at 5'11" have to slightly reach forward to move the rudder control, it's not a major issue, it's just not as simple as reaching over and adjusting. Again nothing major, just something to keep in mind.

-Comfort is significantly better, I have added a foam backrest and It's night and day between this seat and the old stock one.

- The pedals require adjustment, if you're much shorter than 5'7"ish then you may have a bad time reaching the pedals with the jackson seat since it sits further back. I don't have any issue with the adjusted pedals, but something to keep in mind.

- Re entry to the kayak is different, I wouldn't say much more difficult, it's just different that the stock seat, so try it on purpose before you need to do it for real.
-Matt

Hobie Outback with GTT Pedals and Sailing Rudder

JimmyD

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
  There's a good reason we still use this seat on our kayaks...   It's one of the top rated Bass boat seats..

Come over the hill and take the new G2 out for a demo ,, you won't be disappointed.   Bring your Mirage Drive.

Hey Baitman,

What seat is that and how did u mount it?

Thanks!

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

The Santa Cruz Raptor G2 seat is top notch.  It is something like this:

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-hookset-high-back-boat-seat

Here is in more details on the seat and mount:

https://www.mariner-sails.com/santa-cruz-kayaks-comfort-seat-with-adapter.html

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:58:32 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The Santa Cruz Raptor G2 seat is top notch. 

I'll second that. I used to have a G2, and the seat was excellent.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a