Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Paradise cove launches?  (Read 2698 times)

Pdubsalot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2019
I'm seeing reports from the paradise area and wonder if anyone knows where I can launch there? There's paradise park of course but apparently it's for walk or bike in only right now. I was all geared up to go out tomorrow but just double-checked the Marin parks website and realized I missed the "no parking" line. Any help would be appreciated.

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
You can launch from San Quentin beach and paddle south to Paradise. 

Pdubsalot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

The trip has been saved, thanks!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Parking is for residents only les a little dirt pullout at the beginning of main st. right off the freeway.  There is also a little back beach launch north of Marin rod and gun club at the back of an office parking lot...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Not a good idea.  The current is moving fast there specially during the incoming. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Not a good idea.  The current is moving fast there specially during the incoming.

Bad idea?  How so?  Currents move fast anywhere on the incoming and outgoing.
I've launched there before without issues.  Easy beach launch, just be careful of the bridge and ferries.  I don't know the parking situation.  I thought someone posted that East part of Marin was open, West areas were not.
I haven't looked at tomorrow's tides but could be really shallow if you go during a low low tide.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:05:03 PM by SimplyCook »

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
San Quentin beach is 3.5 linear miles one way to Paradise Pier.  Thats a lot of distance to travel and weather, wind, tides need to be considered.
The 2nd picture attached is approximately half way in between.  Thats the prison straight ahead. You can fish the general area of your suggested launch spot but kayaking to Paradise Pier area is too far.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:27:13 PM by FishingAddict »

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
San Quentin beach is 3.5 linear miles one way to Paradise Pier.  Thats a lot of distance to travel and weather, wind, tides need to be considered.
The 1st picture attached is approximately half way in between.  Thats the prison straight ahead. You can fish the general area of your suggested launch spot but kayaking to Paradise Pier area is too far.

With a pedal kayak, it's not that bad.  For any experienced kayak, 7-8 miles isn't out of the question, depending on conditions.
Eddie and I have done it before, and he's even in a paddle kayak.

In particular for tomorrows conditions, if the OP launched early, then he could ride the outgoing and fish to Paradise pier.  Then catch the incoming back to San Quentin and not have a mud/sand walk at the high tide.

I don't know the OPs experience level nor do I know yours, but you don't think its a good idea based on your experience.  But based on mine, it is easily doable with tomorrow's tide and low wind.  The only other factors to consider would be ferries running back and forth (are they even operating now?) and what kayak/experience level the OP has.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:25:20 PM by SimplyCook »

Baron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
The 1st picture attached is approximately half way in between.  Thats the prison straight ahead. You can fish the general area of your suggested launch spot but kayaking to Paradise Pier area is too far.
I find it really depends on the tide and how fast the current is moving. Last week I went from the pier to San Quentin and back, If you time the tides right it’s doable but everyone has a different limit/kayak/time/etc. But honestly it’s not really worth it, there’s a bunch of fish to be caught between San Quentin, paradise cay and the bridge. [emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Work is for people who don't know how to fish

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I find it really depends on the tide and how fast the current is moving. Last week I went from the pier to San Quentin and back, If you time the tides right it’s doable but everyone has a different limit/kayak/time/etc. But honestly it’s not really worth it, there’s a bunch of fish to be caught between San Quentin, paradise cay and the bridge. [emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, sounds like its his first time fishing here.
Heres a picture facing Paradise Pier half way from the the prison.
Last time I was there the incoming tide was riping and it was alot more effort and time to pedal back in.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:16:26 PM by FishingAddict »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Some of my greatest lessons have been on that body of water...good and bad...

A man has got to know his limitations...Dirty Harry... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Pdubsalot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I've been on the water a few years now but am looking to try new spots due to closures. I don't need to make it to paradise by any means but it looked like a good start for my first time in the bay (usually I'm on the Sonoma coast which is closed). I'd still love to get out tomorrow but based on what I'm reading now may not be the time.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've been on the water a few years now but am looking to try new spots due to closures. I don't need to make it to paradise by any means but it looked like a good start for my first time in the bay (usually I'm on the Sonoma coast which is closed). I'd still love to get out tomorrow but based on what I'm reading now may not be the time.
Fish are being caught in the whole area from San Quentin to paradise.  Sometimes I’ll fight the tide as far as I can handle then surrender and just fish that area, keeping all hali criteria in play of course.  12-20fow, bait on the bottom...get on the water...you’ll be stoked... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Just ride the tide there and back. I've done that dozens of times over the years. Outgo at paradise cay is good, this weekend with the big morning tides, you could ride the muddy water down, and the clean back.

Watch the winds there though...

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Some of my greatest lessons have been on that body of water...good and bad...

A man has got to know his limitations...Dirty Harry... :smt006

Or also appropriate to quote the Dirty Harry film that climaxed in the old quarry currently called Larkspur...

"Do you feel lucky Punk....well do you?" :smt001 :smt006

Anyway Quintin to the cove is totally doable for mid to mid/advanced kayakers if the conditions are correct but when I've launched at Paradise Park I often fish to the Cays so it's all good water.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:39:35 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus