Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: info on Gaviota?  (Read 4728 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My younger kid had a college tour on Monday (Cal Poly) and another on Tuesday (UCSB), so I camped in my tent at Gaviota those 2 nights. I'd planned to bring my kayak, but my kayak-carrying car had some last minute problems so, sadly, no yak.

Tent camping there is a challenge, as the wind was strong/gusty both nights, a long train trestle is practically overhead (with late night trains sounding like they were going to run me over), a campground host whose favorite line was "Damn people!" as he peeled out on his golf cart to rush to the "scene of the crime", and toilets/showers that are (not) cleaned by volunteers (I guess it's unrealistic to expect paid help, when they "only" charge $45/night for the privilege of pitching a tent in a tiny field that wouldn't even make a decent cow pasture...).

In spite of those issues, it's actually a pretty great place. I did briefly try surf casting, but there was a lot of debris in the water, so that was kind of pointless. On the other hand, kayaking seems like it could be awesome, as it's an easy launch, with small surf and level access. But, the offshore wind is kind of intimidating. One guy showed up with a Hobie PA, and he didn't even launch due to the wind. In 2 days, I didn't see any kayakers out there at all.

I've seen a few posts here, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on that location. So, I'm wondering if anybody can provide more details for somebody who has never fished there...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My younger kid had a college tour on Monday (Cal Poly) and another on Tuesday (UCSB), so I camped in my tent at Gaviota those 2 nights. I'd planned to bring my kayak, but my kayak-carrying car had some last minute problems so, sadly, no yak.

Tent camping there is a challenge, as the wind was strong/gusty both nights, a long train trestle is practically overhead (with late night trains sounding like they were going to run me over), a campground host whose favorite line was "Damn people!" as he peeled out on his golf cart to rush to the "scene of the crime", and toilets/showers that are (not) cleaned by volunteers (I guess it's unrealistic to expect paid help, when they "only" charge $45/night for the privilege of pitching a tent in a tiny field that wouldn't even make a decent cow pasture...).

In spite of those issues, it's actually a pretty great place. I did briefly try surf casting, but there was a lot of debris in the water, so that was kind of pointless. On the other hand, kayaking seems like it could be awesome, as it's an easy launch, with small surf and level access. But, the offshore wind is kind of intimidating. One guy showed up with a Hobie PA, and he didn't even launch due to the wind. In 2 days, I didn't see any kayakers out there at all.

I've seen a few posts here, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on that location. So, I'm wondering if anybody can provide more details for somebody who has never fished there...
Solid pic of your slaying person...I hope you catch sumpin'...power to your son's college choice...atta dad showin' up soakin' up da sand... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
My older daughter went to CalPoly, great school and love SLO and the surrounding area. My youngest is starting at Chapman later this month. As far camping or fishing down there, it is still in my bucket list....

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
My older daughter went to CalPoly, great school and love SLO and the surrounding area. My youngest is starting at Chapman later this month. As far camping or fishing down there, it is still in my bucket list....

My son wants to do CS, and that's pretty competitive everywhere, so he might not have a lot of choices. Any of them we've seen would be fine, but Cal Poly certainly had the most impressive tour. Wherever he ends up, I'm sure I'll find an excuse to fish nearby...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  I've launched there a few times..   It sure is a crappy camping spot for the money..    Usually the offshore wind dies by 10-11 and becomes a onshore.  It races down that canyon and funnels directly at Gaviota.   I've caught halibut directly straight out,, slightly south.  Best fishing is about two miles north..   This time of year, good for Thresher and Lepoard shark , but also Halibut and WSB.. Squid  and Herring will he best bait choices.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
  I've launched there a few times..   It sure is a crappy camping spot for the money..    Usually the offshore wind dies by 10-11 and becomes a onshore.  It races down that canyon and funnels directly at Gaviota.   I've caught halibut directly straight out,, slightly south.  Best fishing is about two miles north..   This time of year, good for Thresher and Lepoard shark , but also Halibut and WSB.. Squid  and Herring will he best bait choices.

what he said plus you can catch BSP there.  go a bit further down the road and try ElCapitan. OUt of the Gaviota wind tunnel. Good reefs close by.  Calico fishing, barracuda, wsb and your favorite.....

Bushy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:00:25 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Thanks for the info. Any of those would be fun, but a t-shark would be really cool, as I've only ever hooked one, and it broke off after some impressive aerobatics. Hoping to give it a try soon...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Just saw this on FB, I've only been there once but looks like Gaviota to me.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Just saw this on FB, I've only been there once but looks like Gaviota to me.

Yes, that’s definitely it. Gotta give that place a try!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1474885699508767/

I don't think I'm blowing up a spot, the pics are pretty recognizable.

Chacon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
I fish it pretty regularly. Have landed a 25lb leopard shark and 15lb halibut from the kayak. The picture of the guy holding that seabass, I was out that day and hooked up to and lost what was probably that fishes brother.. (heartbreaking).. It is totally doable in the kayak. Beach launch is really easy and I typically just target halibut with the chance of WSB. Not much structure out there. Offshore winds are bad in the mornings but it does usually clear up by 10-11am.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don’t have anything more to add about fishing at Gav, but I’ll throw in another good word for Cal Poly. I did my BS and MS there and I have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I don’t have anything more to add about fishing at Gav, but I’ll throw in another good word for Cal Poly. I did my BS and MS there and I have no regrets.

Thanks for the info, Alex.

My kid ended up getting wait-listed at Cal Poly. He wants to do CS, and it's pretty tough to get in anywhere in CS right now. He was admitted a UCSC and was also wait-listed at UCSB and UCSD. His first choice is UCSD, but he'll probably take any of the 3 from the waitlist if he gets in. He's got nothing against UCSC, other than the fact that it's too close to home. He only had 2 criteria for selecting a college: 1) It has to be either a UC or CSU, as he didn't want to do more than 2 applications, and 2) It has to be as far away from home as possible. Thus his first choice, UCSD.

Btw, here's my Cal Poly story...

I'm a CS prof at SJSU, but before I took the job at SJSU, I applied to Cal Poly. I knew the chair of the department at Cal Poly, he was enthusiastic about my application, and everything seemed to be going well. I thought I was a shoe-in. Then they got a new department chair and the line went dead. Things have worked out well for me, so I can't complain, but still...

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I donÂ’t have anything more to add about fishing at Gav, but IÂ’ll throw in another good word for Cal Poly. I did my BS and MS there and I have no regrets.

Thanks for the info, Alex.

My kid ended up getting wait-listed at Cal Poly. He wants to do CS, and it's pretty tough to get in anywhere in CS right now. He was admitted a UCSC and was also wait-listed at UCSB and UCSD. His first choice is UCSD, but he'll probably take any of the 3 from the waitlist if he gets in. He's got nothing against UCSC, other than the fact that it's too close to home. He only had 2 criteria for selecting a college: 1) It has to be either a UC or CSU, as he didn't want to do more than 2 applications, and 2) It has to be as far away from home as possible. Thus his first choice, UCSD.

Btw, here's my Cal Poly story...

I'm a CS prof at SJSU, but before I took the job at SJSU, I applied to Cal Poly. I knew the chair of the department at Cal Poly, he was enthusiastic about my application, and everything seemed to be going well. I thought I was a shoe-in. Then they got a new department chair and the line went dead. Things have worked out well for me, so I can't complain, but still...
Ugh... That’s unfortunate timing. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Man... I can’t imagine stomaching the unknown of being waitlisted at your first choice school while also dealing with the unknown of this whole Covid-19 situation. Hope it all works out for him in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

The UCs and CSUs are good schools, but you may want to expand your choices to other states.  You may have to pay out of resident tuition, but you can establish residency after.  Snow bunny, desert scorpion, Nike state, and Texas!
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

anything