Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Thanks to Papio3 and Stinkytofu, you guys are lifesavers!  (Read 6779 times)

papio3

• Salmon
  • think fish, eat fish, dream fish, GO FISH!
  • View Profile Youtube Fish and Dive Channel
  • Date Registered: May 2012
If anyone is open to it we can go out set traps paddle in and I'll hold a huli(flip) and water bailing course. paddle out to check traps with a BBQ ending.

With my 28 years of existence I've paddled since I was 7 on sit inside/ sit on top yaks and outrigger 6, 4 and one man canoes. I was on the team with the youngest paddlers to ever finished the Hawaii Molokai hoe(43 mile channel to channel race).

I'm open to share any of my past experiences with all, like a lot of others I was a paddler before fisherman.
IG: Waterworld_JC
QI Fishing: Pro Staff
Ray Fishing: Pro Staff
Pelican Coolers Ambassador
3P Performance wear

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Kev, with regards to playing in the surf....I personally don't but I have entertained the idea myself. I think it's a great skill to learn...especially with some of the surf launches that we deal with. Places like Bean Hollow, Limekiln and linda Mar are a few examples that come into mind. I'd like to take a refresher course at HMB some time. Surfers beach is a great place to practice. Let me know if you wanna play sometime!

Papio3, will all due respect, you can't compare Hawaiian waters to Nor Cal. And I'm sure you are a respectable water man but as you already know, cold water can hinder even the best swimmers and surfers of the world if they are not conditioned for it.

And thank you for offering you knowledge with us. It's always good to learn from someone who has actual experience. (I hate "text book" coaches and instructors)

papio3

• Salmon
Mooch you are spot on with cold water conditioning and yes it takes a while for your body to adapt to these conditions when i first jumped into nor cal waters i was shocked how cold it was. I also paddled outrigger 6 and one man out here with Kilohana canoe club training for cold water exchanges.

It would be nice for a bunch of us just to practice flipping and reentry. Like they say "practice makes perfect", if not perfect it makes you better.
3P Performance wear

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It would be nice for a bunch of us just to practice flipping and reentry. Like they say "practice makes perfect", if not perfect it makes you better.

Amen! Let's do this! I know a certified instructor that might be willing to be our safety guy on the water - maybe we can buy him lunch after a practice session. I'll get hold of him and see what he thinks - looking forward to this exercise!

papio3

• Salmon

Amen! Let's do this! I know a certified instructor that might be willing to be our safety guy on the water - maybe we can buy him lunch after a practice session. I'll get hold of him and see what he thinks - looking forward to this exercise!

Ohh nice! Good man! I'll def be down for that. It's def a awesome work out!

Thanks for the hookup!  I love this club! lol
3P Performance wear

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

Very cool!  Just a thought....might as well practice with as much of your "usual" fishing crap on the yak as you can....flipping a yak over that is clean and empty is a lot easier than one that has all kinds of crap leashed all over it, a milkcrate full of tackle and drinks in the back etc...

Might give folks some ideas on things they want to change in their rigging in the future....

I know it sucks to get reels wet, so maybe just the poles, or some old clunker Big5 reels you got laying around that you don't mind getting salty a bunch of times.

Just an idea.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Set a date, I'm in, if we are going to Crab, it will have to be this month, or it will be rockies from July on.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You can always practice self rescue in a freshwater lake such as Del Valle in Livermore, or Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton, so you can spare your reels from a salt bath. And in the summer heat, the dunks would be refreshing.

Very cool!  Just a thought....might as well practice with as much of your "usual" fishing crap on the yak as you can....flipping a yak over that is clean and empty is a lot easier than one that has all kinds of crap leashed all over it, a milkcrate full of tackle and drinks in the back etc...

Might give folks some ideas on things they want to change in their rigging in the future....

I know it sucks to get reels wet, so maybe just the poles, or some old clunker Big5 reels you got laying around that you don't mind getting salty a bunch of times.

Just an idea.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

CappyMoMo.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Great job on the teamwork.  NCKA brotherhood evident for sure.   

Eric Morgan
Trident Ultra 4.7
Not the guy selling the Outback
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.plantfertility.com
Trident Ultra 4.7
Morgan Consulting LLC Agronomy Pro Staff
Hating the Seahawks and the Raiders cause they suck.

anything