Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Predator 13 console and rod holder  (Read 3600 times)

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013

Took the wife to a little getaway in Monterey yesterday and I stopped by MBK. I saw the new Predator 13 and it has a new console (similar to the new Trident 13) and yes finally, 2 rod holders right behind the seat.

I checked the Predator website but it looks like they haven't updated it yet (by the way, is it PolePole on the cover page? see picture).

Anyway, was trying to see if I could retrofit mine with these 2 new great features. Does anyone know?

Thanks
JC

Saw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I just got a 2017 Predator 13 as a warranty replacement and the new console is miles better than the old.  I would email Old Town and ask if it will fit.  They are very helpful and respond quickly to emails.  The rod holders are basic flush mounts and aftermarkets could easily be installed.  I had to cut up the old kayak so I can't check it for you

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I just got a 2017 Predator 13 as a warranty replacement and the new console is miles better than the old.  I would email Old Town and ask if it will fit.  They are very helpful and respond quickly to emails.  The rod holders are basic flush mounts and aftermarkets could easily be installed.  I had to cut up the old kayak so I can't check it for you
Thanks. I got a warranty replacement just before the new model :-(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Thought I would chime in here... I have done quite a bit of looking around and have some answers for you guys.  The new console on the '17s can absolutely be retrofitted on a '16 model.  The parts are not available online, so yesterday, I called OT and purchased the console, mounting hardware, and screws, washers, nuts for install.  Interestingly, the storage trays that are featured in the '17 model will not fit in a retrofitted '16 model due to the added console height in the '17s.  I went ahead and purchased the trays as well thinking I could use my woodshop to cut the containers and re-glue them to the appropriate size.  Total cost = $130.  The shorter height of the console on the '16s will make it somewhat difficult to screw the holes for the install without a 90 degree drill.  Also, the soon to be exposed holes for the old console straps will need to be filled.

This retrofit will also give me the motivation for a few more mods.  I have been using the Scotty transducer arm for my Hook 4 - it has taken an absolute beating by kelp, it adds considerable drag, and I got it caught in my net thanks to a big ling that led to a full on Mongolian cluster-f%#$ of a tangle.  I have been thinking of a solution for this problem and the solutions on the web all involve the TD protruding from the bottom of the hull since the molding in the hull is made for HB FFs.  I may have a better solution so I will be experimenting with options to try and rid myself of the arm, and get the benefits of not shooting through hull.  Installation of the new console will allow me to install the FF to the rear of the console and with the middle hinge, I can still access the front storage compartment without lifting the whole FF unit.   

Another mod I will be making is replacing the black plastic mounting plates with some finely finished wood plates to snizz it up a bit.  Im thinking some figured bubinga with a tung oil varnish...  :smt007 

I plan to make these modifications within the next couple weeks so Ill post a write up on how it goes at that time and highlight any challenges.  A lot of the research I have done has been reading from the OT predator facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/362553130547346/about/.  This is a great source for OTP modifications and reviews.  Im not on FB, but my wife is, and lets just say her feed has changed in the last few weeks - not too sure she appreciates it.   :smt044 

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... and get the benefits of not shooting through hull. ...

The only benefit I can see to not shooting thru the hull is slightly more accurate water temp reading. Just curious if there might be some other benefit...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thought I would chime in here... I have done quite a bit of looking around and have some answers for you guys.  The new console on the '17s can absolutely be retrofitted on a '16 model.  The parts are not available online, so yesterday, I called OT and purchased the console, mounting hardware, and screws, washers, nuts for install.  Interestingly, the storage trays that are featured in the '17 model will not fit in a retrofitted '16 model due to the added console height in the '17s.  I went ahead and purchased the trays as well thinking I could use my woodshop to cut the containers and re-glue them to the appropriate size.  Total cost = $130.  The shorter height of the console on the '16s will make it somewhat difficult to screw the holes for the install without a 90 degree drill.  Also, the soon to be exposed holes for the old console straps will need to be filled.

This retrofit will also give me the motivation for a few more mods.  I have been using the Scotty transducer arm for my Hook 4 - it has taken an absolute beating by kelp, it adds considerable drag, and I got it caught in my net thanks to a big ling that led to a full on Mongolian cluster-f%#$ of a tangle.  I have been thinking of a solution for this problem and the solutions on the web all involve the TD protruding from the bottom of the hull since the molding in the hull is made for HB FFs.  I may have a better solution so I will be experimenting with options to try and rid myself of the arm, and get the benefits of not shooting through hull.  Installation of the new console will allow me to install the FF to the rear of the console and with the middle hinge, I can still access the front storage compartment without lifting the whole FF unit.   

Another mod I will be making is replacing the black plastic mounting plates with some finely finished wood plates to snizz it up a bit.  Im thinking some figured bubinga with a tung oil varnish...  :smt007 

I plan to make these modifications within the next couple weeks so Ill post a write up on how it goes at that time and highlight any challenges.  A lot of the research I have done has been reading from the OT predator facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/362553130547346/about/.  This is a great source for OTP modifications and reviews.  Im not on FB, but my wife is, and lets just say her feed has changed in the last few weeks - not too sure she appreciates it.   :smt044
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk