Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Vacuum sealer recommendation?  (Read 2322 times)

Rick

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I've a had a Food Saver (the model number escapes me) for a few years, and it just isn't as effective as it used to be. It seems to leave pockets when sealing larger items. So, I'm looking for a new one.

One of the things I disliked about t my current one is that it wastes a lot of bag (I'd say at least a good 2") since the opening of the bag has to be inserted into the drip tray. Anyone have a recommendation for a vacuum sealer that will not waste as much bag?

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
If you're serious about fishing, and don't plan to quit, your best bet is to invest in a chamber style vacuum sealer made by Vacmaster. You won't have problems with air pockets, etc.

My Foodsaver is also dying, so I'm saving my pennies for a Vacmaster VP215. Not cheap, but it should last a LONG long time. And since it's the chamber style, you can vacuum seal liquids (soups, stocks, meats in marinade, etc, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:28:42 PM by AlexB »

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
My Foodsaver just crapped out too.  Those things really weren't meant for a lot of use.  I went ahead and ordered a Vacmaster VP215.  It's supposed to show up today.  I was debating between the VP215 and the VP112.  I eventually decided to just go all the way and get the VP215.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to carrying it up the stairs when I get home tonight.  The package is listed at 108lbs, and the vacuum sealer itself is supposed to be around 85lbs. 

I'm looking forward to being able to seal up bags of liquids for a change. 
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
My Foodsaver just crapped out too.  Those things really weren't meant for a lot of use.  I went ahead and ordered a Vacmaster VP215.  It's supposed to show up today.  I was debating between the VP215 and the VP112.  I eventually decided to just go all the way and get the VP215.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to carrying it up the stairs when I get home tonight.  The package is listed at 108lbs, and the vacuum sealer itself is supposed to be around 85lbs. 

I'm looking forward to being able to seal up bags of liquids for a change.
Nice... might want to buy a rolling cart like they suggest here:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/154835/perfect-cart-to-hold-vacmaster-vp215

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014

Nice... might want to buy a rolling cart like they suggest here:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/154835/perfect-cart-to-hold-vacmaster-vp215

Thanks!  I actually already have butcher block cart on wheels already.  This beast is gonna live on there. 

Man, it was crazy getting it up the stairs.  But, once I got it out of the box, it wasn't as heavy as I expected. I'm reading the instructions now. 

"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Only slightly off-topic: for those of you with a lot of experience freezing fish, how would you describe the quality difference between fish that's just put in a freezer ziplock with most of the air squeezed out, versus adding some 4% salt solution to the ziplock to get almost all the air out, versus using a real vacuum sealer? I know you get freezer burn after a few months if the fish is in contact with air, but do you notice a taste difference as well? Are the vacuum sealer bags less permeable to smells and odors?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Little trick I learned to save on bags is insert then as it comes on pull it out a little two practice try's before I got it down, but I hear ya. My buddy who's shop we use for hanging,aging, and butchering (commercialfisherman/bow hunter/construction company owner) has I large commercial chamber sealer and all I can say is damn if I only had room. 

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Only slightly off-topic: for those of you with a lot of experience freezing fish, how would you describe the quality difference between fish that's just put in a freezer ziplock with most of the air squeezed out, versus adding some 4% salt solution to the ziplock to get almost all the air out, versus using a real vacuum sealer? I know you get freezer burn after a few months if the fish is in contact with air, but do you notice a taste difference as well? Are the vacuum sealer bags less permeable to smells and odors?
Virtually impossible to  get all of the air out of a ZipLok bag, degree dependant on the size and dimension of what is being frozen. I haven eaten 2-year old professionally vacuum packed fish (note that not all processors do a good job) fish which tasted just as fresh as the day it was caught. Tonight, I ate fish that was vacuum packed by myself a year go...still very delicious...no freezer burn.

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks Hojo. So far I've been pleased with how adding a little 4% brine to displace air has been working, but I'm still waiting for the long-term results. 
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks Hojo. So far I've been pleased with how adding a little 4% brine to displace air has been working, but I'm still waiting for the long-term results.
I use a FoodSaver I bought from Costco...my second unit. The first unit was a pain because you had to press down manually in order to get the unit to activate the vacuum packing and sealing and then manually slide the blade to trim the bag from the roll. The current unit only requires inserting the end of the bag into the slot until the unit automatically detects the bag and vacuum packs, seals, and trims the bag. I don't use rolls any more, just 8x10 pre-made bags for my fish.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I have been using a food saver V3425 for about five years now and am pleased with it.  Granted, I'm not the slayer some of you are.

If you check your seals imo stuff tastes fresh for at least two years, although not all fish is equal.  Fatty fish seems to freeze better than rockfish.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

I'd love to hear your points of debate between the 2 models, pros and cons.  Thanks.

-Allen

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Ziploc bags are made out of polyethylene which believe it or not is permeable to air and allot of other gases (smells).  Vac bags are made of a different plastic (not sure which one) which is not permeable.

Put a cut onion in a ziploc, and smell it, put a cut onion in a vac bag and smell it, you'll see (smell the difference). 

My experience, zippys can't compare to storage quality of vac bags.  The vac sealer has a place on the counter top most days.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I just completed a lot of research on the Food Saver vac sealers and determined there are two models that work well for me at home; the V5860 and the FM5460
The 5860 has a lot of automatic features;
press a button and the bag feeds out.  If you fed too much bag, hit the rewind button and the bag rewinds back in.  Once you've got the bag length, hit the button and it seals and cuts it off.  Open bag, load with food and put the open end in the slot.  The machine senses the bag is in position and will automatically vacuum and seal. 
The 5460 isn't as automatic, but has the same size vac pump and heat strip for about $100 less.  I've done a dozen bags at a time and the thing has not thermaled off.  (Several models require a cooling off period after as few as 3 or 4 bags)
I have both and I like the 5860 better for now.  (Food Saver messed up my order and sent me a 5460 by mistake I got to keep)  I also have an older Professional III from food saver.  It's at least 10 years old and still going strong.  I take it in the field because it's smaller and works well in our camper. 
I got my 5860 on sale for $200 from Food Saver's website.  It's normally $300.  Keep an eye open for their sales as they are hard to beat. 

Edlovestofish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My food saver is crapping out too! 2 years of Fishing a little
Travel and Costco she will not suck like she would when I first got her..
As for fish in a zip lock now way unless your going to cook it within a week. Freezing for food fish not me baits ok for chum and crab

anything