Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Humminbird?  (Read 1878 times)

Tinker

I'm hot on the trail of a Trident 13 and thought I'd ask about Humminbird finders before I go off half-cocked (like I usually do).

I've always been a Lowrance fan, but I like that I can get a transducer that fits the T13 transducer pocket.  I've Gooped transducers inside the hull, but it's not my favorite thing to do...

Anyone have anything to say about the Humminbird finders?

Or, does anyone else make a transducer that fits the T13 scupper/pocket?

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm hot on the trail of a Trident 13 and thought I'd ask about Humminbird finders before I go off half-cocked (like I usually do).

I've always been a Lowrance fan, but I like that I can get a transducer that fits the T13 transducer pocket.  I've Gooped transducers inside the hull, but it's not my favorite thing to do...

I have a Humminbird in my Trident 13. I like how you can fold down the head unit into the sonar pod to protect it during a surf launch. I never appreciated this feature until I killed 2 fish finders surf launching my Hobie. I also like the way the transducer fits perfectly in the transducer scupper.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:43:08 PM by krusty »

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Ive used humminbird forever and they work well for me.  And I've never had one break.  My older one won't read card, so I can't transfer data to my newer one.  I will send both in this winter and have them do it at their service center.

bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Tinker

I have a Humminbird in my Trident 13. I like how you can fold down the head unit into the sonar pod to protect it during a surf launch. I never appreciated this feature until I killed 2 fish finders surf launching my Hobie. I also like the way the transducer fits perfectly in the transducer scupper.

Thank you, Krusty.  I'd prefer to have the transducer fit that scupper, too.

Ive used humminbird forever and they work well for me.  And I've never had one break.  My older one won't read card, so I can't transfer data to my newer one.  I will send both in this winter and have them do it at their service center.

Thanks, Bushy.  Longevity is important.  I've had to send two Lowrance units back for warranty work - but I still use them.  I'm thinking of trying something new for this kayak.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I hope they have improved the wire connection management.

I have a 385ci. I will not buy another unless they redesign some of the basic stuff. The ergonomic sucks.
- Wires to the head unit don't latch on.
- The power connector can be plugged-in in reverse because you can't see the difference between the positive and negative end of the plug. It is not keyed.
- You have to route the wires through the base in some awkward position and force to pinch the wires.
- I have an extension wire for the transponder. The extension plug is not waterproof and rusted in one outing.

Overall, the wire management suck so bad I want to fire the Humminbird engineers who designed them. They need to take a lesson from Lowrance or Raymarine or any other competitor.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:24:51 PM by lucky13 »

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I haven't had a 385, but my version has a key shape to the power connection....?  And the transducer cable is like 20 feet long, not sure why you needed an extension.  I used an extension on my powerboat, but I think the connector was up in the air, not in the water?

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
I hope they have improved the wire connection management.

I have a 385ci. I will not buy another unless they redesign some of the basic stuff. The ergonomic sucks.
- Wires to the head unit don't latch on.
- The power connector can be plugged-in in reverse because you can't see the difference between the positive and negative end of the plug. It is not keyed.
- You have to route the wires through the base in some awkward position and force to pinch the wires.
- I have an extension wire for the transponder. The extension plug is not waterproof and rusted in one outing.

Overall, the wire management suck so bad I want to fire the Humminbird engineers who designed them. They need to take a lesson from Lowrance or Raymarine or any other competitor.

I have a 385ci installed in my Trident. Both the power and transducer cables are locked to the base with a metal plate, so they stay put. Also, the power cable is keyed, so it only fits into the base 1 way.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I have the Humminbird 410210-1 HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2  which I like well enough, but it is the only fish finder I have used, so take that for what it's worth.

I currently have a jury-rigged PVC/zip tie scupper mount in my T13 until I decide on a long-term solution. Humminbird makes a transducer that fits the T13, but according to Austin Kayak, "This transducer will not correctly display the Down Imaging that this model of fish finder is made for."

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
I have the Humminbird 410210-1 HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2  which I like well enough, but it is the only fish finder I have used, so take that for what it's worth.

I currently have a jury-rigged PVC/zip tie scupper mount in my T13 until I decide on a long-term solution. Humminbird makes a transducer that fits the T13, but according to Austin Kayak, "This transducer will not correctly display the Down Imaging that this model of fish finder is made for."

ACK is mistaken. Your Humminbird is not a down imaging model. If you go to its web page, https://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-CHIRP-GPS-G2/, and click on compatible products and accessories, you will see the XTH 9 20 P transducer, which fits in the Trident's transducer scupper.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Cool, thanks for the clarification krusty. Actually I am mistaken; they are talking about the Helix 5 DI GPS which is a different model than mine.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I have the 597CI with the scupper mount and love it, no issues.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Crum

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I have the Helix 5 with 'XTH 9 20 P' transducer and love it.  I mounted it on the Mod Pod and keep the extra cord in the Sonar Shield so I didn't have to do any drilling to the kayak.  I looked into exchanging transducers though Humminbird but for about the same price I just bought a second one from ACK.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
And the transducer cable is like 20 feet long, not sure why you needed an extension.
I have one wire that stays in my AI permanently. That way I could move the unit to my Revo 13 sometimes.
Quote from: krusty

[quote
I have a 385ci installed in my Trident. Both the power and transducer cables are locked to the base with a metal plate, so they stay put. Also, the power cable is keyed, so it only fits into the base 1 way.
Glad they took care of that issue. Perhaps my ff is not a 385ci? I'm confused. But regardless, the wires on my Humminbird suck. Maybe my unit is outdated.

oosickness

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I run a Humminbird HELIX 5 SI on my outback and so far has been great. i need to figure out a way to upload the charting/ trip map after a fishing trip.

The screen is very clear and visible in direct sunlight, accurate depth compared to the others i fish with. Sucks in the kelp like almost every other one on the market but what can you do.
       If there are shortcomings its probably my fault, its my first fish finder and am still learning on what to look for.

https://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-409640-1-HELIX-Finder-Side-Imaging/dp/B00MVYNZ78

Tinker

Since I don't yet have the T13, will a finder in the Helix-5 series fit in the sonar pod?

anything